My angle drive blew up

• So I was turning onto the main highway and really getting it. When I shifted to 2cd I heard the worst sound ever of metal clanking. I pulled over thinking it was my transmission. Looking on the underside I seen that the casing on the angle drive was blown out. I have a 2016 1/2 and had the angle drive replaced with a recall in July of 2017. After getting towed home I jumped online to look for the part. That S.O.B. is $1559. I have less than 8k miles on it however it is now out of warrantee. I saved up some money and was about to pull the pin on some new coil-overs. I'm disgusted that I'm going to have to spend that money on an angle drive. Do you think a dealer will be able to help or am I screwed?

Always be yourself unless you can be Batman.
    Then be Batman!

• Blaze It would be worth calling Polaris Customer Service... I mean, all they can do is say no. Same with your dealer. Sorry for your bad luck and I hope it changes!

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• Blaze sorry that this happened to you, can we have a couple details on your drive.

Have you ever replaced the fluid? If you did what was the condition of metal shavings in the old fluid.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Yeah. Went through an angle drive here too. Quite a noisy event. Might be happening again, or I might just be paranoid. Easily the most unreliable piece of crap I have ever purchased. Brake failure light is on again after 4 repairs. Lots of fun, though, and met some great friends.

2015 here, and extended the warranty 3 years. Purdy sure my luck runs out June/July this year.

There was a recall on the angle drive? I don't remember that.

Well, yes, that SOB is spendy. And, that doesn't include labor. Labor involves multiple cavemen, sledge hammers, propane torches, and lots of French. Many of us are purdy sure it is not a Polaris only part, but nobody yet has been able to xref it.

Good luck.

• There are low mile angle drives available from 4 wheel conversions.

ShadowWarrior ?

yes - I have also heard that bullet speed has used angle drives from their 4 wheel conversions that they sell - Bullet Speed & Design and you could also check with Trak Hamr - they also do the 4 wheel conversions and might be able to help you - Trak Hamr

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• First to answer some questions. No I have never changed the oil in the drive. I have read that you can put heavier oil in it to quiet it down but that never has been an issue with me. When it broke I was going straight with about 5k- 6k rpms in 2cd gear. I don't think being in a turn should matter any.

I just got off the phone with my dealer and he tells me that there is hope for a replacement. He stated that Polaris knows that there is an issue with the drives and are working with them. He told me that they just did one last week ( out of warrantee ) and that Polaris covered the part but not the labor because the customer had 22" wheels on it. Polaris is trying to blame part of the problem on wheel size. First thing he asked be was what size wheels I had. I have 20" customs all the way around. He then asked if I still had the originals. I do. He said put them back on and bring it in.

The dealer has to take pictures of the angle drive along with all three wheels to get approval from Polaris. He said that Polaris is one of the better companies that he deals with and are standing behind their product even when out of warrantee so fingers crossed. I also put on a 1320 rear exhaust last month and will put the original back on just in case they use that as an issue. The new exhaust really does add more power in the low end when it broke. Makes me wonder if that could have contributed to the problem so I am not taking chances.

I'll keep you posted on the verdict. It might be awhile as I am sure the service department is swamped this time of year.

Always be yourself unless you can be Batman.
    Then be Batman!

• I have had Polaris replace 2 ECMs that were WAY out of warranty (2-3 years) for no cost because they had issues with bad parts. It's easy to bitch when you're in this situation but you owe it to yourself to go through the process and give them a chance to step up - or not.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• The new exhaust really does add more power in the low end when it broke. Makes me wonder if that could have contributed to the problem so I am not taking chances.

With how these 2.4s make power in NA trim, it's physically impossible that your exhaust had anything to do with causing a power related failure to your angle drive. You just plain got a defective part and I hope Polaris stands behind it and warranties it in full with zero out of pocket for you. But reverting everything back to stock is definitely a great idea. Looking forward to seeing the end result on this.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• how often should that fluid be changed?

Although the manual states 50000 miles I changed mine at 500 and found a LOT of metal shavings attached to the magnet so I changed again at 1000 still found shavings but much less than the first time, did it again at around 3000 when I was winterizing it( all of this was during my first summer of ownership) and found very little shavings at the point I decided that from that point on once a year was enough.

It only cost $10-20 for the fluid so no harm in doing it once a year, many others have found large amount of metal shaving so is not like mi e was an out of the norm(there was a thread full of pictures and testimony of that.

If he had an angle drive that was assembled on a Friday afternoon before a long weekend like mine (lol) and he never changed the fluid he could of had metal shavings playing tricks on the gears and that COULD be a cause for the darn thing taking a dump during a hard pull.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

Edited once, last by Neosolidus ().

• I changed mine at about 800 and found some very fine stuff attached to the plug (is the factory plug magnetic??). There wasn't much, not even 1/8" thick, but put in some Red Line to try and help with the noise.

My angle drive isn't that noisy really, the belt is, but I have a hard time keeping it clean, too dusty around here.

• My angle drive isn't that noisy really, the belt is, but I have a hard time keeping it clean, too dusty around here.

I feel your pain - here in the desert wind and dust are a constant thing - one of the main reasons why I ditched the belt guard, much easier to wipe the belt down and keep it clean and noise free

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• What year angle drives are faulty now....

And does putting a larger than factory tire/wheel going to void the warranty...