New SL Owner Needs Advice On Maximizing Rear-End Traction

• Greetings,

New SL owner and Forum member here.

I am a former 4-wheel racer (Formula Fords up to V-10 Racing Vipers) - over 30 years. To say the least, I drive my SL very aggressively everywhere and anytime it's safe to do so. The one thing I need help with is keeping the drive wheel stuck to the pavement better on acceleration and in high-speed cornering. Since we only have a single contact patch back there (and not the usual 2), I'm looking for any and all ways that you nice (and experienced) folks can suggest purchasing improved rear traction.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some "real world" guidance.

• Welcome to the group cp101 My opinion would be to get a set of coil overs for a suspension upgrade and some sticky tires. If new wheels are in the budget get a 11-12" wide rear wheel and run the same size up front (or wider) and as wide as you wanna go in the rear. The widest I've seen on here is a 345 which will require a 12" wide wheel on the rear. WHAT tire you run will also play a factor. If you decide to run a really sticky high performance street tire like a Toyo R888R there are lots of sizes available. If you're looking for something really sticky like a Micky Thompson drag radial like I run, the widest the ET Street R comes in is 305. If you get a wider wheel for the rear, I would suggest running something in a 335 as that is a common Corvette tire size so there will be lots of options for tires. If you're sticking with the stock wheels for now, the widest tire you can safely put on the SL's factory 9" wide rear wheel is a 275. That's my 2 cents and I'm sure there will be lots of varying opinions. I think the common thought will be suspension. It makes a huge difference on the SS. If you're interested is squeezing more power out of your SS, I also offer a turbo kit for it. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Bigger fatter wheel and tire is the normal option, and then if you have the funds there is this 4 wheel conversion kit or this one track hammer

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Just my 2 cents, check one of my prior posts:

Tires...what are you running?

This tire will keep the rear end planted better than most anything. Note, that this is the ET-Street-R, not the ET-Street-SS... No same-same. If you want grip, you need a pliable tire. Running this tire on a Forgestar Deep Dish 12x18 +45mm wheel. This tire was originally designed for the Dodge Hellcat/Demon -- and on the drag strip, the sidewalls get a nice wrinkle (see pic).

• I am also running a Micky Thompson ET Street R in a 305/45/18. I love them. But I also go through 2-3 each year. They are also one rain drop away from a near death experience on a slingshot. The stickiest tire I have found and love but terrible in any kind of wet weather.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• I have been running the BFG G - Force Sport Comp 2 Summer

Love them for handling but I change the rear with every oil change

I have one last BFG mounted for the rear then I think I am going to try Potenza RE-71r based on recommendations from people who have used them for both street and track.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!