New European driving "safety" rules proposed

• I have this story from Jalopnik, FYI.

Apparently, the Euros are "proposing" a new set of "safety rules" for cars and drivers to take effect in 2022. New cars sold after Jan 1, '22 will have to have a breathalyzer interlock, lane keeping assist, active braking assist, and speed governors on every car.

Supposedly, these governors would use Google maps, GPS data, and cameras reading traffic signs to keep every car below the speed limit. The article claims that you can "override" the speed governor by flooring the throttle. What a horrible set of ideas! How long did it take after Tesla and others introduced "driver assist" for jacka$$ drivers to take a nap behind the wheel?

Not only that, but do we WANT to teach drivers that their car will take care of them no matter what? What happens when the system goes down (and you know it will!) We will have millions of drivers who are so used to the nanny state co-pilot, that they will have no real idea how to effectively drive their cars. I can't help but think of the Airplane movies where the stewardess comes into the passenger cabin and says: "Is there a pilot on board!?"

I HATE traction control, and I can tell you that the Captain and I have disabled the lane-keeping assist on both our newer cars because it doesn't work here in the Ozarks - winding country roads result in your car hooting and nagging at you all the time because the "smart" system thinks that winding curves means you are going off into the ditch.

I really can't say much more without breaking off into a blue streak of paint-peeling obscenities - so I'll stop here. :cursing:

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Mandatory computer control? I don’t think so. We have some of those features on the Mazda. Gets tiring listening to the Nanny complain about lane holding on our country roads. But, seeing the 85 MPH speed limit in the HUD while driving thru west Texas was kind of cool.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• I was going to say something about the younger generation(s) liking these nanny controls, but a co-worker was sharing that when riding with his dad that the dad was using the lane control feature while looking something up on his cell phone....................................

Bill

• I do not want to be on the road with driverless cars...

I drove an ice cream truck with a governor on it.....top speed 55.....it sucked...

You do know EZ Pass has the ability to send you speeding tickets....by using the enter and exit time stamps....it calculates how fast you went by how long it took to get from point A to point B...

When the PA turnpike first started using EZ Pass people got speeding tickets....it turned me off from wanting to sign up......I think they figured that out too....because I haven’t heard of any tickets from them in years.....

What they really need is cell phone disable technology....can’t use it unless you stop the car.....stop these idiot texters....

• Wait till you read all the fine print in those laws where, should you get killed in a car accident your life insurance money goes to the factory that made the car that killed you.