The Truth About Natural Power - A Look At What Makes Power and How Much

• well the 173 hp number that Polaris shows in the specs is the same as what is shown in the specs for the various solstices and sky's that use the same motor - this makes me suspect that Polaris has never even put the slingshot on a dyno. I suspect they just report generic numbers as provided by GM.

if they actually reported their own specs as shown on a dyno I would think the numbers would be a bit different

We took a tour of the factory last year and watched them put the SS on a dyno

• It would seem that if power is what you are after when making mods that going boosted would be the most efficient way get there. Considering this if one were trying to work their way there that it would be wise to make mods that could be carried forward and still be functional with the boosted system

considering this I have a question for Kyle D - The muffler that you are selling with the header, is this the same muffler that you supply with your turbo kit? and if it is would your company be willing to offer your turbo kit without the muffler at a slightly reduced price to people who had already purchased your header / muffler system?

I may never be in a position to boost my slingshot, but it would be nice to know that if I make smaller improvements now that they would not be wasted if I ever do go turbo

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• considering this I have a question for Kyle D - The muffler that you are selling with the header, is this the same muffler that you supply with your turbo kit? and if it is would your company be willing to offer your turbo kit without the muffler at a slightly reduced price to people who had already purchased your header / muffler system?

It's the exact same muffler, To be honest, we have never discussed it. But I am sure it would be something we could accommodate. However, typically when you sit with someone and discuss options and you start laying out power numbers and price 99% of the people just go straight to the turbo kit. But yes I am sure that is something we could accommodate.

Something you had mentioned in a previous post was about having PCM cores on hand. We will soon have that option to test it and see how it goes and if it is worth it. I have 2 PCMs on the way. As I stated before, it's a very large investment so at this time I have purchased 2 PCMs. Once I have them, I will have it listed as an option for the turbo kit but people will need to email me directly prior to purchase to see if I have any cores. If I do I can send one and if not, there will be the option to wait until I get a core back or just send your core to CBM for the initial tune.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Thanks so much Kyle D for all the work you're doing, cant wait to see the tune #s. I don't know if too many were surprised with the CAI numbers as most of us have known since the 70's flipping the air breather on our big H.P. muscle cars always delivered a throatier sound but never ,never delivered a faster 1/4 mile time if the factory system wasn't restrictive by design. CAI's add bling under the hood but that's about it.

The shocker for me is the SLR Polaris CAI . A lot have known the stock CAI was not restrictive in any way and provided as much air as the volumetric dimensions of a 2.4 liter cylinder is capable of drawing in, but what shocks me is Polaris designing a SLR CAI that these numbers prove is slightly restrictive and actually reduces 2 W.H.P. WTF ! People pay good money for the SLR and that Polaris SLR C.A.I. While sounding cooler should also have maintained adequate air flow, not slightly reduced it !!

But of course while we will know better, the Polaris Dealers as they are all just glorified UTV , Snowmobile dealers , will never be able to phathom this. To them if the Polaris published h.p. ratings don't drop in the specs,,,, well you get the point.

• Kyle great write up! I am anxious to see the final results. I know there were not huge gains but in looking at the pulls the power is fairly linear I hope the tune helps with some of the dips in the power curve, With all that said i say its headed in the right direction and should make for a nice smooth running SS with additional power all thru the rev band.

'It's about the ride not the destination"

• Thanks for doing this. Glad you put in the time and hope it will assist in providing evidence when some company's and aftermarket online stores boast crazy combined HP gains from the parts they sell.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• It's the exact same muffler, To be honest, we have never discussed it. But I am sure it would be something we could accommodate. However, typically when you sit with someone and discuss options and you start laying out power numbers and price 99% of the people just go straight to the turbo kit. But yes I am sure that is something we could accommodate.

Something you had mentioned in a previous post was about having PCM cores on hand. We will soon have that option to test it and see how it goes and if it is worth it. I have 2 PCMs on the way. As I stated before, it's a very large investment so at this time I have purchased 2 PCMs. Once I have them, I will have it listed as an option for the turbo kit but people will need to email me directly prior to purchase to see if I have any cores. If I do I can send one and if not, there will be the option to wait until I get a core back or just send your core to CBM for the initial tune.

Thank you Kyle - - you are fantastic. It is great that you are testing out the core idea, I really hope it is something that works for you and I am sure there are people who will really appreciate the option of avoiding the down time :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Thanks so much Kyle D for all the work you're doing, cant wait to see the tune #s. I don't know if too many were surprised with the CAI numbers as most of us have known since the 70's flipping the air breather on our big H.P. muscle cars always delivered a throatier sound but never ,never delivered a faster 1/4 mile time if the factory system wasn't restrictive by design. CAI's add bling under the hood but that's about it.

The shocker for me is the SLR Polaris CAI . A lot have known the stock CAI was not restrictive in any way and provided as much air as the volumetric dimensions of a 2.4 liter cylinder is capable of drawing in, but what shocks me is Polaris designing a SLR CAI that these numbers prove is slightly restrictive and actually reduces 2 W.H.P. WTF ! People pay good money for the SLR and that Polaris SLR C.A.I. While sounding cooler should also have maintained adequate air flow, not slightly reduced it !!

But of course while we will know better, the Polaris Dealers as they are all just glorified UTV , Snowmobile dealers , will never be able to phathom this. To them if the Polaris published h.p. ratings don't drop in the specs,,,, well you get the point.

Frankly the thing that surprised me the most was how the Cat delete pipe produced almost no increase in power. I was actually expecting it to do much more, I don't know why, but I just had it in my head that the cat would be the big restriction in the stock system and that once removed numbers would be close to what you got with the header/muffler - - - boy was I wrong

• I would like to see a 10% rear wheel HP gain - I kind of feel that anything less than that won't be noticeable behind the wheel. Ideally, I would like to hit the 210 - 225 rear wheel HP level.

The question for me isn't how many dollars for an increase in performance, but how much performance I can get before my very limited budget runs out.

As things stand now (and depending on data from Kyle D, I can see myself getting a header, cat-delete muffler, and then in a year or so, a tune. Next winter would be a good time for a tune as I don't drive Ruby much in December/January.

actually that does make me wonder - - - what percentage increase is needed before most people actually would notice?

also looking at the dyno charts the big thing I notice is that with the exhaust / muffler system the power gain may not be huge, but it does look like it comes on much earlier and then stays up there longer - - from a "feel" point of view this could do more from a drive-ability point of view then just the max numbers would imply - - what do others here think about that?

• actually that does make me wonder - - - what percentage increase is needed before most people actually would notice?

also looking at the dyno charts the big thing I notice is that with the exhaust / muffler system the power gain may not be huge, but it does look like it comes on much earlier and then stays up there longer - - from a "feel" point of view this could do more from a drive-ability point of view then just the max numbers would imply - - what do others here think about that?

I did take it out for a short ride before and after the dyno. I did not remember it being so anemic bone stock. But I'm also used to my turbo setup. However, once we had all the parts on, while it's still not mind blowing fast, there was more throttle response and the power band felt broader. I think the owner will notice the gains once the tune is on there. The PCMs actually just showed up on my desk so I will be using one of the cores on this SS and hope to get to the dyno later today. It looks like we have someone that isn't going to make their appointment so if that happens I may get some tune numbers in today. If not, I will tomorrow.

• If you all want to hear the difference between the stock sound and the sound once we have our intake and exhaust package on you can check it out here

Apparently our video guys are faster than I thought...................stay tuned for more updates.

• ohhhh - I do like the sound of that exhaust. :thumbsup:

• Agreed, it does sound very good. Can we assume that they did not adjust the sound any in post processing?

Seriously? After I just posted all of this honest data showing that aftermarket parts, including ZZPs, do not make ridiculous power gains that other companies claim their parts make in the NA trim? What purpose would that possibly serve? I guess all I can say is that the owner has also seen the video so if it does not truly sound like that when he picks it up and he is unhappy, he can put me on blast here publicly.

Eye Roll.gif

• Kyle;

In my short time of knowing you and based on my first impression, You are a honest no BS person, which is a rare trait these days,I take your word on what you say and believe in the old fashion ways, my word and a handshake is everything. Thank You

'It's about the ride not the destination"

• I see SlingLow 's rack on that SS...

Good eye MiM ! I missed that completely. I wonder who that is.

I have official scientific engineering documents showing that my luggage racks add 18 horsepower to an N/A Slingshot. Apparently Kyle D missed that comparison so y'all can take my word for it.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• LMAO! Right?!?! No problem. I actually enjoyed doing all of this. Kept me out of the office for a full day. Looking forward to dinner and drinks with you guys in Maggie.

Kyle D is there such a thing as a learning curve when a change is made? Like with Bob's tune, he said something like run the Sling 50 miles before really pushing it. Well I was going to do that and the rains came after about 5 miles. The next day was the day that I stayed on @rabtech's ass all day long. So it relearned the curve but it was wide open, petal to the metal so to say.

• Good eye MiM ! I missed that completely. I wonder who that is.

I have official scientific engineering documents showing that my luggage racks add 18 horsepower to an N/A Slingshot. Apparently Kyle D missed that comparison so y'all can take my word for it.

SlingLow I,ll be talking with Kyle in the morning so I,ll ask , but didn't I hear the name Hadden ?