Nightowls Hangout

• I think I was still recovering from my vacation over the last few days, didn't stay up late. While tonight is not extremely late, most people don't seem to post around this time, but a few of you do.

Really looking forward to Kerrville, next week will be fun. I'm only going to be there 3 days, easter weekend and all and have to go see my grand kids. Looks like there may be chances of rain but that's expected in the spring time here.

Did yard work today, visited with the mother in law a bit and showed pics of the vacation, now sitting down catching up with email and forum chatter :)

• I have been staying up till my usual hours of the night... but with the nicer weather I have been trying to stay outdoors and off of social media.

But I'll be back at it in no time for sure.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• On our ride back home this evening, was about 5 miles from the house and hitting a corner doing about 50 when something slapped my knee and 1/2 second later felt a burn/sting. We think it was a wasp that flew in and hit me at the wrong angle.

Luckily, I'm not allergic to them, but it's still stinging slightly a couple of hours later. May rethink wearing shorts while riding through the country :)

Won't be up late tonight, gotta get up early and driving into Dallas in the morning for work.

• Yeah, up late again, working some to make up for spending half of the day at SSITHC. So, browsing the forums and buying a couple of new mods after seeing what some other owners were showing off at the event.

Not going to post any teasers, you heathens will have to wait until I post pics when I install :)

I need to come up with a pill to heal this mod itch, I could be rich from selling it to all of you!

• I know the feeling Wokka. I ALMOST came home with a new Sling. Only thing that kept me from getting it was 1) Purple color is not me, and 2) I measured and the wheels would have been too wide for the trailer.

But I did pick up a Twist Dynamics catalog and am now dog earing the pages. . . . :thumbsup:

• LOL, I almost have their website memorized.

I made it home from Lubbock about an hour ago, put a bit over 1000 miles on my SS this week traveling half way across our big state one direction and then another, making a huge triangle. I'm come to the realization that I don't like my windshield and am researching something more angled and without the adjustability. I had too many bugs come under tonight and slap me.

• I have a MadStad 13" Adjustable windshield, now sold as TD, and a TD canvas Top. Between the two I only have an occasional bug make it between the Top and the screen and I do most of my riding at night. Having a bug hit the bottom edge of the screen seems to result in bug guts going everywhere!

• My last 50 miles or so are pretty back country on US 82, a lot of low river/creek bottoms and just tons of bugs. I had stopped for gas in Gainesville and cleaned the windshield. By the time I pulled onto my Farm Road, I was leaning out to see because there were so many bugs on the shield and I was watching for a known deer crossing and driving 40...

I was hit twice in the chest today and once on my left arm.

I have the same setup as you and I'm just thinking about trying something else for the windshield. That plus baker air wings to draw air in when I need it.

• One thing I did was to drill a second set of mounting holes around 1" higher than the factory holes. This allows me to mount the windshield lower to reduce air flow under the wing in cooler weather, but it would also help reduce bug juice coming under the shield. If I had it to do over again, I think I should have drilled the holes about 3/4" higher instead of 1" because if I have the shield mounted that low, I need to raise the shield in order to open the hood. By positioning the shield lower using the second set of holes, I also have the option of raising the shield a little during the day, but then lowering it back down at night or anytime conditions have lots of bugs around.

During last night's ride thru the Sam Houston national Forest (I was on FM 149, north of Montgomery, TX)I had a deer enter my side of the road from the woods. Fortunately, I had plenty of time to react and there were no oncoming vehicles, so I slowed down and moved to the left lane and avoided any encounters.

• Drilling new holes to allow the shield to mount lower should also reduce some of the air flow under the shield bottom.

One thing I've thought about, but haven't really pursued would be some type of extruded vinyl lip that I could apply to the hood immediately in front of the shield that would stick up to just above the bottom edge of the shield (see pic).

I would hope that this lip would prevent bugs or bug strikes from going under the shield while still allowing air to flow under the shield. I'd prefer a clear vinyl or hood-colored lip, but even if it's dark in color, it wouldn't be sticking up enough to cause any line-of-sight problems. An aftermarket, self-adhesive rear deck spoiler might work, depending on its height and styling. I've thought about fabbing something from thin aluminum sheet that might handle the Slingshot hood's curves and flat sections, but I haven't actually tried anything.

• One thing I did was to drill a second set of mounting holes around 1" higher than the factory holes. This allows me to mount the windshield lower to reduce air flow under the wing in cooler weather, but it would also help reduce bug juice coming under the shield. If I had it to do over again, I think I should have drilled the holes about 3/4" higher instead of 1" because if I have the shield mounted that low, I need to raise the shield in order to open the hood. By positioning the shield lower using the second set of holes, I also have the option of raising the shield a little during the day, but then lowering it back down at night or anytime conditions have lots of bugs around.

During last night's ride thru the Sam Houston national Forest (I was on FM 149, north of Montgomery, TX)I had a deer enter my side of the road from the woods. Fortunately, I had plenty of time to react and there were no oncoming vehicles, so I slowed down and moved to the left lane and avoided any encounters.

I have deer whistles installed on mine.....do know how effective they are but I figured it’s better than not having them. I mounted them on the spoiler where they screw on.

I made it home from Lubbock about an hour ago, put a bit over 1000 miles on my SS this week traveling half way across our big state one direction and then another, making a huge triangle. I'm come to the realization that I don't like my windshield and am researching something more angled and without the adjustability. I had too many bugs come under tonight and slap me.

Have you ever been in a SS with double bubbles?

The wind does this....great for summer driving....do you look over your windshield or though it? I have plastic issues so I look over mine. I cut 6” off my side. And I cut down the 12” straight windshield that came with mine to 6”.

Hmmm... I have the same windshield (Madstad 11") set at about the middle position (1-1/2" above the hood) and haven't had any problems. I do look over the WS while driving, and have PLENTY of bugs hit the shield. But the air cushion in the cab from the WS being up a little keeps the bugs out. In fact, even through the front end and WS were covered on Saturday (I did the Three Twisted Sisters again by myself), there was nothing on me nor on the rear of the SS.

Last year in the Ozarks, when it rained, the air cushion actually kept the rain out of the cab and my t-shirt was still absolutely dry after almost an hour of driving. (Admittedly, it was a light rain, more like a drizzle, but it was about a hours worth.)

Where have you got your WS adjusted? High? Low? Mid? BTW, you can also "twist" that WS some. I have a very slight twist going from center out.