Non optima batteries

• isnt the optima a standard size - Group 34 I would assume?

Yes, but the BCI group number measures from the highest point on the battery, most of the time that is the top of the post. The Optima top of the battery is not level with the post (some manufacturers do). To minimize on the material required, I'm guessing that TD only made their battery mount as tall as needed for the top of the Optima battery, which is 7" tall.

• Yes, but the BCI group number measures from the highest point on the battery, most of the time that is the top of the post. The Optima top of the battery is not level with the post (some manufacturers do). To minimize on the material required, I'm guessing that TD only made their battery mount as tall as needed for the top of the Optima battery, which is 7" tall.

If you know where or how the numbers work they give you the difference in how high the side post is from the top post. The 25/75 Optima battery has both post. I know this because that is what is installed on my Sling. I wanted the top post for the Sling circuits and the side post for additions to be added later without having to pull the battery to connect.

• The operative phrase being 'of the same size'. The Optima appears to be shorter than other batteries as the specs for the Slingshot only tray shows a maximum height of 6 3/4", a full inch shorter than the group 26. By using a flexible strap like you posted earlier (and which my nephew uses on his boats), many different sizes can be accommodated.

SlingLow, don't forget that the newer models have this fuse thingy connected to the tie down:

Ua5VHso.jpg

i haven't pulled it out to see how it attaches, but we'll need to rig up something for it on your new mount system.

• SlingLow, don't forget that the newer models have this fuse thingy connected to the tie down:

Ua5VHso.jpg

i haven't pulled it out to see how it attaches, but we'll need to rig up something for it on your new mount system.

Interesting. My '16.5 has the fuse block attached to the frame behind the battery and won't be an issue. This appears to have changed and I don't know in what year. Your frame behind the battery is also different than mine. If you get a chance, see what it will take to detach it from the strap and attach it to the frame somehow. I'd also be interested in seeing a pic pulled back just a little more than this one and one without the battery in place. Your strap looks like mine and I'm guessing the back attaches with two bolts below the platform.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• yes my 2016 does look very different with the fuse block thing attached to frame - I was aware of the change to the frame, but not the relocation of the fuse - this is a snap of my 2016

i-5q9tVJ7-X2.jpg

I remember someone here talking about the changes to the frame and it seemed that it was done to cut weight when they made the slingshade available

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• yes my 2016 does look very different with the fuse block thing attached to frame - I was aware of the change to the frame, but not the relocation of the fuse - this is a snap of my 2016

i-5q9tVJ7-X2.jpg

I remember someone here talking about the changes to the frame and it seemed that it was done to cut weight when they made the slingshade available

I believe the frame changed in 2017...anyone?

• moving the fuse block must not be a big issue. I would have expected to hear about it from the people installing the optima trays if it were - dont you think?

• I just looked at the parts list for the different year slingshots at the polaris site

for 2016 they list the battery strap as 5262004

for 2017 they have 2 different numbers one for before 5/5/16 build dates and a different number for after that date - it is possible this is when the strap was changed to accommodate the fuse, but unfortunately in the picture they only show one strap and it is like mine without a place to mount a fuse

interesting that for 2018 they have 4th completely different part number - and they also say "plasticoat" in the strap description which you can see on the strap in the picture of the bracket posted WOKKA above

• moving the fuse block must not be a big issue. I would have expected to hear about it from the people installing the optima trays if it were - dont you think?

I just looked at the Optima tray and reviewed the install instructions, and it has a bracket on the strap for the fuse block. Two bolts to remove and replace on the new tray. Since I would like to use a flexible strap, it would be necessary to attach the fuse block to the frame. A simple bracket could be devised to do this but it will take someone with this setup to help design it. wokka ?

• I just looked at the Optima tray and reviewed the install instructions, and it has a bracket on the strap for the fuse block. Two bolts to remove and replace on the new tray. Since I would like to use a flexible strap, it would be necessary to attach the fuse block to the frame. A simple bracket could be devised to do this but it will take someone with this setup to help design it. wokka ?

Yeah, I'll be happy to come up with something, I'll get some more pics this weekend.

The battery strap does have two bolts on the other side down low, and when I installed my remote jump start ports, it was a PITA to get in there to do anything, not looking forward to putting a bigger battery in there from that viewpoint :)

Using better terminals vs those PITA bolts that go down into the terminal (and the nut falling down so it has to be held up, all while holding multiple cables in place).

More to come.

• So is the stock battery a dry battery? Took mine out for service and did not stop at the "do not remove" wording and opened it up. There does not seem to be a drop of water/acid in it. However, the decal on the side says be careful of acid burn. What's up???

LC

• Did some interweb searching and found this.......

Low-maintenance, sealed batteries already are filled with electrolyte and have been sealed and fully charged at the factory. If they're not fully charged before use, battery life will be significantly reduced. Never pry the sealing strip off or add any other fluid to the battery. Never add electrolyte or distilled water to a low maintenance battery. Doing so will damage the case and shorten the life of the battery.

So I guess I answered my own question. Do I get bonus points or something?

LC

• I bet you tore the tag off your mattress too, huh?

• I am all about find out why you should not open something, tearing off tags, checking wet paint and opening doors that have signs to keep door closed. Why did they put the door there if not to be opened. Just quirky that way.

Have you doing up in the cold PNW?

LC

i-5q9tVJ7-X2.jpg

• So why didn’t polaris just leave things alone and sell the slingshade as an add on option sold by the dealer and installed at the customers request....problem solved...

They make it sound like a factory installed item...

The battery was not replaced because of the SlingShade, it was replaced as part of the installation of the heat reduction kits on the 2016.5, and successive, models, (as already discussed earlier in this thread. Non optima batteries

Additional info: https://www.slingshotforums.co…heat-reduction-kit.11043/

Heat shield kit from Polaris

Bill