Non optima batteries

• I found this article very informative on the AGM batteries....I cleared up most of my questions......except one...

If this type of battery is so wonderful, why is it only warranted for one year....it doesn’t give me a warm and fuzzy feeling to shell out more money for less longevity...kinda like an optima....

https://www.solar-electric.com…m-battery-technology.html

• I found this article very informative on the AGM batteries....I cleared up most of my questions......except one...

If this type of battery is so wonderful, why is it only warranted for one year....it doesn’t give me a warm and fuzzy feeling to shell out more money for less longevity...kinda like an optima....

https://www.solar-electric.com…m-battery-technology.html

The 1 year warranty is a 100% full replacement warranty

here is a link to a Duracell AGM battery that will fit the 2016 to 2018 Slingshots and it has a 2 year 100% replacement warranty https://www.batteriesplus.com/…gshot-sl/na/2018/cyl10009

2 years with 100% replacement - - - - I would feel very comfortable buying this battery

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• The 1 year warranty is a 100% full replacement warranty

here is a link to a Duracell AGM battery that will fit the 2016 to 2018 Slingshots and it has a 2 year 100% replacement warranty https://www.batteriesplus.com/…gshot-sl/na/2018/cyl10009

2 years with 100% replacement - - - - I would feel very comfortable buying this battery

That is one I had not seen anywhere.

• It is counter-intuitive but is in the retailer's best interest to offer a warranty that is considerably longer than the expected life and a 100% replacement period that is shorter. I figured this out years ago and here's why. If your battery dies 30 months into a 60 month warranty, you can buy that same battery for 50% of retail making it cheaper than any other replacement. When it dies halfway through that warranty, same thing. So the net effect is to lock you into that brand because each replacement costs less than the other available options, but in the long run, you end up paying whatever the monthly cost of that battery is, i.e. a $120 battery with a 60 month warranty costs $2/month to own. Whatever the cost is, it may or may not be the best value but because you get a replacement for less than 100% of retail, you keep buying it. The downside to this is that you replace your battery much sooner and more often than expected and it's death is usually a surprise. I bought the same brand battery for years because of this and not one of them ever lasted the full warranty period.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I bought the same brand battery for years because of this and not one of them ever lasted the full warranty period.

The battery in the SlingShot is warranted for six months and now it is going on 4 years. One of the trucks has a 5 year battery installed over 6 years ago. The other truck also has a 5 year battery but installed 7 years ago. And we just replaced the 5 year battery in our Jetta at a little over 6 years. I am wondering if this is an environmental issue with batteries where I do not recall any of our batteries not outliving their warranty period?

Bill

• The battery in the SlingShot is warranted for six months and now it is going on 4 years. One of the trucks has a 5 year battery installed over 6 years ago. The other truck also has a 5 year battery but installed 7 years ago. And we just replaced the 5 year battery in our Jetta at a little over 6 years. I am wondering if this is an environmental issue with batteries where I do not recall any of our batteries not outliving their warranty period?

Bill

I think a great deal of it has to do the environment the battery is used in. Down here in the desert no one expects any car battery to last more than 2 years. I have had one make it just over three and when I went to buy a new one at the local auto supply store even they said that was unusual. When you have the kind of daily highs we get the under hood temperatures in a car just eats batteries alive - especially the old skool flooded cell batteries - to even get 2 years out of them you need to be constantly checking the fluid and keeping them good

With my slingshot the factory battery made it 35 months, but I am not sure if that means much considering my slingshot was the dealer demo and I dont know how it was maintained. The battery I have now was put in last June so when it goes I will have a better idea of how the little batteries do here in the desert. I do like that it is at the back of the slingshot - at least it wont get nearly as hot as if under the hood

when this one goes I will go to the local battery + bulbs and hopefully get the Duracell I linked above

• The battery in the SlingShot is warranted for six months and now it is going on 4 years. One of the trucks has a 5 year battery installed over 6 years ago. The other truck also has a 5 year battery but installed 7 years ago. And we just replaced the 5 year battery in our Jetta at a little over 6 years. I am wondering if this is an environmental issue with batteries where I do not recall any of our batteries not outliving their warranty period?

Bill

It has to do with the thickness of the lead plates inside....thick plates have less warpage....if they touch each other they short out (dead cell) ..they started making the plates thinner (cheaper) just like everything else in this world.....cheap is the answer not quality....

How many batteries are you actually paying for when you buy one at full price? When they offer a 100% replacement... you probably actually bought 3-4 ....sure we’ll “give” you a new one....sucker...

• I've got a 2015, which came with a group 26 battery... I was looking at ways to ditch some weight and the battery was high on the list. I found that a Braille B3121 would fit, but I had to fab an adapter plate. The Braille battery is 21 lbs with 550 CCA, 1380 A at room temp.... Here's a pic of the OEM group 26 flood filled battery and the Braille B3121.

Here's a pic of the adapter plate I milled from a slab of ABS...

Here's a pic of the Braille installed in the adapter plate...

And, a pic of it installed in the Slingshot:

Now, here's the best part... Rumor has it that the Braille B3121 (around $200 retail) is actually a rebadged Deka ETX-30L (around $100 retail):

I've had the Braille battery for 3+ years no problems. I keep it on a battery tender (AGM setting) when parked in the garage.

• How many batteries are you actually paying for when you buy one at full price? When they offer a 100% replacement... you probably actually bought 3-4 ....sure we’ll “give” you a new one....sucker...

Huh? I am so sorry that you seem to have such bad luck with batteries, Bigdog, I am talking about still having the original batteries, no replacements! In fact, trying to think back, I do not believe that I have ever done a warranty claim on a battery?

Bill

• They give the group number for the 2015..... but there is none for the rest

4014132 .....2015 replacement number.

I have been trying to figure this out as well - I have come to the conclusion that motorcycle type batteries dont use the same size system or group number system.

From what I found batteries seem to be sized according to their power rating and terminal polarity location

For example all the batteries that I have found that are listed as fitting the 2016-2018 says it is a 30L or in the specs they say "Format 30L" this is a 30 amp battery the 30 is the amp rating and the L is the polarity location there will be other letters before and /or after the 30L that mean other things like vent location or an X for heavy duty and some are just manufacture numbers, but the important numbers are the "30L". from what I have found it seems that there is a standard size for batteries based on the amp rating - so all 30L batteries are one size

Here read about more here Motorcycle battery part numbers what they mean

actually to me it makes more sense to have all 30a batteries one size and all 20a one size and so on, much more logical than random group numbers where batteries of different ratings can be the same size

Edited 5 times, last by Edward Neal ().

• I’ve had two times where I did a battery warranty claim....one was a brand new sears diehard battery that had to be replaced after a few weeks because of a dead cell....and the other was the optima yellow top that died 3 months before the 3 year warranty ended.

Heat is the biggest battery killer....they warn you about this when you use a battery charger. Today if they are using cheaper, thinner lead plates heat issues are even more critical. Heat warps the plates and if they contact each other they create a dead short. Killing a portion of the battery, Which reduces the power available. Hot climates would be even worse. Water level was always something I checked on my motorcycles. And it was always low. I remember the levels being right on the outside of the see thru plastic. The plates need to be completely covered. Trickle charging is the best option.

When you’re driving the generator/alternator is constantly charging....creating battery heat.

I’m still puzzled by the lack of battery information from Polaris. And the lack of a replacement battery being available from Polaris. All the parts lists show it but say it’s discontinued....I’m starting to wonder if they had the original big batteries specially manufactured just for the slingshot.

• one of the big advantages of an AGM battery is that there are boron-silicate glass mats between the plates, they are pressed together like a sandwich this makes them very solid and durable and better for applications where the battery will be subjected to impact and vibration. In an AGM battery the acid is absorbed into the mats which is why they are "Absorbed Glass Mat" batteries - being totally sealed there is no water level to maintain and because and because there is the glass mat between the plates it is very hard for the plates to ever come into contact and short a cell due to warpage or vibration.

also the Optima is an Absorbed Glass Mat battery - the only thing different is that the layers of lead screening that makes up the plates and the glass matting are rolled into spirals other than that the materials are basically the same. Optima says rolling the plates and mats in this design is superior, and it may be, but in the end it is still an AGM battery and has the exact same charging and maintenance requirements as any other AGM battery

also any charger that has an AGM setting will work just fine on an Optima battery and there is no need to buy a special Optima branded charger.

as a side note I would never want a old style flooded cell lead acid battery in the Slingshot. with the battery being closed off and hard to get to it just isnt practical to have to be opening it up to check the water level all the time.

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• as a side note I would never want a old style flooded cell lead acid battery in the Slingshot. with the battery being closed off and hard to get to it just isnt practical to have to be opening it up to check the water level all the time.

Especially in your warmer environment! Currently I check the Grasshopper's battery about every 6 months, though, we will be replacing the stock battery with a maintenance free when the time comes................

Bill

• Didn't have to so much worry about water, my problem was corrosion on the battery terminals. The first time I checked at about one year, you could not even see the terminals. So from then on I pulled and cleaned and watered the battery about every 6 months. This is the reason I am trying the AGM battery, hopping to prevent the corrosion. Also by using the dual post (side post) if I want to add something else, I just connect to the side post.

• Didn't have to so much worry about water, my problem was corrosion on the battery terminals. The first time I checked at about one year, you could not even see the terminals. So from then on I pulled and cleaned and watered the battery about every 6 months. This is the reason I am trying the AGM battery, hopping to prevent the corrosion. Also by using the dual post (side post) if I want to add something else, I just connect to the side post.

I do remember when you posted about that - if I recall correctly you posted pictures and it was pretty bad.

So yes I would agree that corrosion is another reason why your regular flooded cell batteries suck

• I just found something very interesting about battery terminal corrosion.

Before I reveal it your battery terminals corrode because of the hydrogen fumes coming from the acid. A lead acid or an optima still had acid and still makes fumes.

So the type of battery theory is out the window.

what causes battery terminal corrosion?

Corrosion on the terminals is due to hydrogen gas being released from the acid in the battery. It mixes with other things in the atmosphere under the hood and produces the corrosion you see on the terminals. Generally, if the corrosion is occurring on the negative terminal, your system is probably undercharging. If on the positive side, it is probably overcharging. Most often it will be seen on the negative side because the battery is usually in an undercharged situation. This is just the nature of the beast, I'm afraid.

You will need to thoroughly clean the corrosion from off the posts. You can use baking soda and water solution to help in this endeavor. Ensure you have eye protection, clothes which you don't care if it possibly gets ruined (acid can do nasty things), and some type of gloves (nitrile gloves work great). Clean the area using the solution and a brush. It doesn't have to be a steel bristle one, just one which is stiff enough to remove the gunk. You will have to remove the battery cables to get them completely clean (sorry about the radio channel presets!). Finish your clean up with a good dose of water to flush the area of any residual corrosion. If you don't, it can eat away the paint in the nearby areas.

When done cleaning, to help slow down the corrosion process, coat the terminals with grease (high pressure grease or wheel bearing grease works as good as anything). It doesn't have to be a lot, but ensure total coverage of the metal at the terminals. Cover the outside of the terminals afteryou have put the cables back onto your battery. You can also purchase a aerosol spray coating which you can purchase from your local parts store. Your main objective is to keep the lead, escaped hydrogen gas, and oxygen from mixing which forms the corrosion you see after a period of time. Over time the grease will break down and corrosion may start, so regular cleaning and reapplication is a must. If you do this about every six months, you should be in good shape.