Non optima batteries

• While Optima might be pretty good, but expensive, I suggest checking out other AGM batteries such as those sold by Rural King. Far less $$, and based upon my experience so far, it works just fine! The same tray as for Optima works. I used a group 34, but I read there are other sizes that fit a bit better.

• While Optima might be pretty good, but expensive, I suggest checking out other AGM batteries such as those sold by Rural King. Far less $$, and based upon my experience so far, it works just fine! The same tray as for Optima works. I used a group 34, but I read there are other sizes that fit a bit better.

Which tray did you use, or are you referring to the stock 2015?

What year model do you have?

• Referring to Red Group 26 is the same across the market. The Group 25 will also fit, it is one inch longer that the 26. The Group 34 is around another inch longer than the 25. All three are basically the same except for the length and will fit in the tray on the 2015 and what other year that may have the 26 battery. I changed to the Optima hoping o get rid of the corrision on the battery terminals that should be IMHO cleaned at least every year it not 6 months. I found after 6 months there was still a lot of corrision

Isn't the 25 an inch taller also?

• Isn't the 25 an inch taller also?

The same as the 34. the 25 will fit in the tray in place of the stock 26 in the 2015 SS. The important thing when installing these longer batteries if you have a rear exhaust such as the Welter Dual, is to be sure to pull the battery all the way to the outside cover. If you do not do this the battery may get to close to the exhaust pipe and melt. Ask me how I know this. It was a $230 mistake.

Sadly, we don't have Rural Kings in Texas. I'm not having much luck finding an AGM group 26 battery around here, or even some place that can order one.

I don't like buying batteries online, makes it much harder to return under warranty in case of an issue.

• Sadly, we don't have Rural Kings in Texas. I'm not having much luck finding an AGM group 26 battery around here, or even some place that can order one.

I don't like buying batteries online, makes it much harder to return under warranty in case of an issue.

Not really, I wasted a ton of money buying an optima yellow top battery for my van....it died before the 3 year warranty was up. I talked to amazon and they didn’t want to pay to ship the old one back....I’m guessing nobody will. They just took my word for it and sent me another optima yellow top. I sold the vehicle it was in....I could have easily switched the batteries before I sold it...but I learned a lesson with optima batteries and I let it go without looking back.

For ME it was a total waste of money. I bought it thinking it was going to be the next greatest thing....it turned out to be a nothing burger waste of my hard earned money....that doesn’t do anything a regular lead acid battery can do......or last any longer.....NEVER again....

And amazon has the battery your looking at....just saying.

• Yeah, I'm not going to buy online unless it's for an in-store pickup and I can return it to said store.

I've been researching batteries, trying to find a good AGM that will fit. The AGM's I've used in the past have been good, so want to stick with that if I can, otherwise I'll just put a very cheap battery on it and plan to replace in 2 years :)

Either that or I will find the battery with the longest warranty locally.

• I am so confused now that I don’t know if I want a battery or tray or new cables or what. If reading all this stuff, if you don’t get confused you are not reading.

JUST SAYIN

Keep Three Wheels Down

• I am so confused now that I don’t know if I want a battery or tray or new cables or what. If reading all this stuff, if you don’t get confused you are not reading.

JUST SAYIN

I got a OEM size battery off the shelf at Batteries Plus. about $140.00 don't have to change anything on my 2016.

JUST SAYIN

Now why would you be confused? Stay with the stock battery and you will be fine. In 2016 the SS came out with the small AGM motorcycle battery. The Optima battery deal started when some of the SS owners went to a lot of led lights and a lot of sound system. They needed a larger battery because they did not want the battery to go dead at night after a few hours when they had the lights and or stero on. That is when they went to the Optima Group 34 battery with 750 cca. I went to the Optima Group 25 battery because I was getting so much corrosion on the battery terminals 2015 (lead acid battery) Group 26 battery and did not want to clean every 6 months hoping to do away with the corrosion problem. Anything else you need to know, just ask.

• Keep in mind that if you have a Welter Performance exhaust that goes thru the transmission tunnel, a Group 34 battery may not fit properly and will hit the exhaust, IIRC. A Group 26 battery should clear the exhaust pipe.

I bought one of the Rural King batteries back in late 2017 and had it shipped. The sale price at the time was around $100-130, IIRC. I have seen Pep Boys advertise a Bosch AGM battery that looks identical to the RK battery. PB normally sells the Bosch battery for close to $200, but every now and then has offered it for around $150 or a little less. Unfortunately, I don't know if PB still carries it.

As far as mounting a larger battery on the newer models equipped for the 400A motorcycle type battery, I'd think it shouldn't be too hard to make a new battery mount from 1/8" aluminum plate and bolt it to the existing battery platform with some flat-head bolts. I'd also recommend adding a small lip or a couple pieces of aluminum angle to help keep the battery from sliding. The battery could then be held down either with a metal bracket or a rubber or leather strap. I admit I haven't looked at the battery area in a while, so I'm going from memory.

If, as someone already posted, a longer battery cable is needed, I think an Auto shop can help fab one if you can't find the proper length.