Exhaust systems the good and the bad

• Here you go Shatneyman Let's see if it works. The cat delete pipe I think was my third mod. 2015 SL with a stock wind screen that has been cut down 3 inches with a Fab Factory top. I have never had a gas fume problem even when I did the Cat Delete pipe, now with the Welter Duals. Oh! and by the way I also have the tune. Also at this time I am working on 77,000 miles and if the summer goes as expected there will be at least another 10,000 miles added to that.

• I have a Welter bagger and have no fumes at any speed. Just added the lrobbi i windscreen. Haven't tested it yet, but everyone says it works great. Again, every sling is different and it's trial and error. What works for some may not work for others because of the mods.

• would be nice to see some wind tunnel testing with a few different setups to see what's happening. DDM did some and said they would post in the future about it ,.. that was months ago though, not sure where their at.

• Are you all sure the fumes aren’t the crap burning off the pipes? It took a month or more before I quit smelling stuff.

Would there be anything to burn off on just a cat delete pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• If you go to Welter Performance website and fill out the online questionnaire. “ which exhaust is best for me” we can then guide you in the right direction based on your current and future planned mods If you would like to speak with me directly feel free to call me at 573-703-4308 and I will help to the best of my knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

• I have a Welter bagger and have no fumes at any speed. Just added the lrobbi i windscreen. Haven't tested it yet, but everyone says it works great. Again, every sling is different and it's trial and error. What works for some may not work for others because of the mods.

Hope your happy with it... let me know - thanks!!:thumbsup:

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• Well parts of my welter duel exhaust were wrapped and I put some additional insulation on my imitation cat and I used the supplied joint goop and don’t forget the oil from fabrication and the paint. It smelled for several months and lots of miles. And it smelled the second I started it after the installation. I thought oh no what have done to myself. It smelled pretty bad. I rarely smell fumes now.

Think about it I can smell stinky exhaust fumes from vehicles in front of me all the time.

I had a biker riding behind me after I installed the welter duel exhaust. I flagged him closer at a red light and asked if he smelled my exhaust since it’s pretty much in his face, he said no and it sounded really good.

• I never sit close enough to the vehicles in front of me to get "washed" in their exhaust like it is currently sitting in my cabin from my own right now. But as in the other thread, I was assisted in finding the answer and am now awaiting a good day to take it out for a run and make sure this is the correct issue. The wrong gasket was between the header and the cat delete pipe. So I pulled it. I also have the new exhaust coming on Monday and will have that on as soon as I can, by the 1st of april anyway lol.

• I wonder if getting the mefi tune would help those that have the fume problem without a CAT. My thought is that Polaris has the system set pretty rich so the CAT has something to burn. The A/F sensor is on the header so the computer doesn't know if the CAT has been deleted or not.

• I wonder if getting the mefi tune would help those that have the fume problem without a CAT. My thought is that Polaris has the system set pretty rich so the CAT has something to burn. The A/F sensor is on the header so the computer doesn't know if the CAT has been deleted or not.

I’ve added a CAI and a cat delete welter duel.....so there should be less back pressure. Does the sensor read the amount of air volume passing it?

I’m thinking it would take the computer several drive cycles to get its act together to make the necessary fuel/air adjustments to compensate for all the changes...

That’s not to say Polaris has the perimeters set so the computer can’t adjust itself enough. And then you have a fume problem....some maybe less or more than others....

So a tune might very well be needed after these radical changes...

Jeff Welter any thoughts?

• 1320 header, Welter dual rear exhaust, no cat + Stinger top + F4 +5" windshield with baker wind wings.. I had bad fumes in the cabin for about 1500miles.

Remedy = Made a tight tolerance rear windscreen (documented in another post) and it solved 80% of my fume problems to the point no one complained. I then took advice from a few others and installed a UAS 6" rear spoiler at the deck. Now I'd state I am at 95% solved. But loving every minute of seat time.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• Are you all sure the fumes aren’t the crap burning off the pipes? It took a month or more before I quit smelling stuff.

I smelled the wrap outgassing for about 200miles when first installed the WP dual. It was very nasty for the first 50 miles. Then that smell was gone and I was swamped with exhaust fumes (see my setup listed above). I am good now though.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• Dave@DDMWorks you guys did wind tunnel testing?

Yes, we did wind tunnel testing, although the testing was more focused on overall aerodynamic drag/lift/downforce than testing exhaust fumes. We do have a pretty good sense of how the air moves around the vehicle, but since we were more concerned about high speed testing we did not have a tall windshield or top while testing. From our experience with exhaust fumes, those are 2 of the biggest factors affecting exhaust fumes in the cabin.