COILOVER preference

• The QA-1s I listed are called single adjustable, but it's not referring to the spring preload. It has the single knob for adjusting damping. The bushing size is 1/2", but the spacers from the stock shocks fit right in. No mod is required.

I ground about 1/32 off the bushing to make it the same length as the stock one for the top bracket.

• The QA-1s I listed are called single adjustable, but it's not referring to the spring preload. It has the single knob for adjusting damping. The bushing size is 1/2", but the spacers from the stock shocks fit right in. No mod is required.

The shock springs are supposed to be set to match the stock ride height when they ship them.

• Very cool, I was mistaken, I thought those were the ones that were just spring height adjustable, didn't realize they were doing rebound adjustment. Anyone know right off if those are the ones that HAHN and Twist are using? I always thought they were using the DS series that are adjustable and do compression and rebound control with the single knob.

Hadn't seen anyone press out the insert in the stock shocks poly bushings and insert them into the QA1's either, all the ones that have come in here had the mounts drilled out and larger 1/2" bolts for mounting, definitely good to know, thanks!

Bill Hawn had me send my shopping list to him before they put their version on the market. I know theirs have a different mount bushing, but I don't know the difference between DS and US model.

• Bill Hawn had me send my shopping list to him before they put their version on the market. I know theirs have a different mount bushing, but I don't know the difference between DS and US model.

The "US" version is adjustable, but rebound only

The "DS" version is adjustable and does compression and rebound at the same time

The "DD" version is adjustable and has independent compression and rebound control

They all have the same features below other than that -

• Lightweight Aluminum
    • Ride Height Adjustable
    • Spring Mounting Hardware Included
    • 100% Dyno Tested and Serialized
    • Revalveable and Rebuildable by the QA1 Factory or QA1 Authorized Service Centers
    • American Made
    • Precision Machined Aluminum Piston with PTFE Piston Band
    • 5/8” Centerless Ground, Hard Chrome Plated, Solid Piston Rod
    • Three Step Sealing System
  • we have so many coilovers designed specifically for the slingshot that it makes no sense to use generic automotive shocks(QA-1),

so everyone should buy slingshot specific tires as well. Thought many here buy a tire that are used on a car? My QA 1's work great and I would need to see a major difference and proof that any specific "Slingshot" shock is better. Not trying to beat up on any vendor, but to me, they are comparing apples to apples and from what I've researched, they are basically the same except price. You can compare any shock with the same spring weight, and the difference may surprise you. As long as you're talking single to single, double to double or triple to triple adjustment. But hey, it's not my money

require a 1/2" bolt for mounting, which means that the upper and lower mount have to be drilled out,

I did not need to drill anything out, they were plug and play, adjust to ride height and done

• so everyone should buy slingshot specific tires as well. Thought many here buy a tire that are used on a car? My QA 1's work great and I would need to see a major difference and proof that any specific "Slingshot" shock is better. Not trying to beat up on any vendor, but to me, they are comparing apples to apples and from what I've researched, they are basically the same except price. You can compare any shock with the same spring weight, and the difference may surprise you. As long as you're talking single to single, double to double or triple to triple adjustment. But hey, it's not my money

I did not need to drill anything out, they were plug and play, adjust to ride height and done

Did you order the part numbers (US502 and US602) listed above direct from Amazon, Jegs, Summit,etc or purchase a complete coilover kit from HAHN, Twist, etc?

The full coilover kits offered now all seem to have switched over to shipping with 10mm spherical bearing or 10mm bushing insert to make them plug and play. However, all of the individual QA1 coilover shocks (US502, US602, etc) we have ever seen or purchased direct from QA1 or Summit Racing have had 1/2" or 5/8" bushings in them, not the 10mm size of the stock bolt. The Slingshots that we have had come in with the early QA1 kits from HAHN and self built kits also had the 1/2" mounting bolts. As BryanL said, the stock bushing could be pushed out of the stock bushings and pressed into the new shocks and would be an easy option for those looking at doing it themselves if they get the QA1's with the poly mounts. Also, spacers can be used on the spherical bearing setups like the Bilstein, Ohlins, JRI and DDMWorks to get down to the 10mm bolts size, but we have never seen the QA1's come with the 10mm bushing from QA1, or offered on their website or catalog. If would make it much more interesting if there is a part number that can be ordered direct from QA1 that has the correct 10mm bolt hole size, let us know if you have that part number, I am sure it would really help out some of these people on here that want to do their own kit :)

As for the differences between shocks and valving, that is really going to be something that is going to be important to some people and not important to others. There are a lot of differences between the shocks out there, but kinda like tires, it really depends on what you are after. A triple adjustable coilover setup from JRI, DDMWorks, Twist or Ohlins are going to have very different characteristics from setup to setup. It may be something that some drivers will be able to take advantage of, and others will simply not be able to use. Once again, it really depends on what the Slingshot in question is being used for, what the driver is looking for and the other supporting modifications on the Slingshot. We can put Ohlins on a Slingshot, but if the driver is on stock tires and just wants to cruise around, it will be a waste. On the other hand, if someone is running a lot of power, on something like RE-71R's and doing track days, the adjustable QA1's are not going to be far from optimal and will not be as fast. For most of our customers we have found that a good comfortable setup that can be adjusted to be more sporty works for 90% of the people we talk to and install on and is the reason that we have the triple adjustables we offer. Are our DDMWorks coilovers better than the QA1's? we can tell the difference in valving and we have had enough people switch over now that can also tell the difference. Would the difference be important to everyone? Absolutely not, once again depends on what that particular driver is looking for, their past experiences and other modifications. There are definitely differences, its just that to some, those differences are not important.

Thanks!

Dave

• OK, to start out I am obviously a real cheapskate when it comes to shocks, I'll admit that up front. I am comparing the McPherson struts of heavier automobiles to the coilovers found on the SlingShot, and maybe that is inappropriate? Also, I do not find the stock ride of the SlingShot to be tot tally offensive, so that is also affecting my decision?

We recently replaced the front struts on our VW Jetta. By appearance the struts are much heavier duty on the VW than the coilovers on the SlingShot? We paid less that $400 to replace those struts, including labor, and they will more than likely last us at least a decade or more. I admit that maybe I am missing something, but in comparison, to pay in the ball park of that much money per individual shock for the SlingShot, and still having to install them, and possibly having to remove them every couple of years to get overhauled at over $100 + shipping each, that is just too pricey to justify in our book?

What am I missing here?

Bill

• Vehicle specific. I put two brand new tires on the front of my sling for 150 bucks yet I cannot get a new tire on the front of my motorcycle for less than 350 go figure!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎