Anyone have any info on anything new for the 2020 Slingshot?

• I am curious if anyone that has a inside connection has genuinely heard of any major changes coming in 2020 model.

I have heard everything from a Polaris Engine , Automatic Transmission, and Factory turbo charger.

I feel like everyone else when i say its time to see a pretty substantial change. I mean if they just changed all the plastic to look a bit different I would be ok with just that. The sales have slacked off to the point that Polaris should be on top of a new look and drivetrain. Its been 5 years. I picked mine up October 31 2014....And other than a few minor changes its the same as the 2019 model.

We all know Polaris skims over the forum. Maybe someone will post something they have actually seen in a dark corner of a dark room.

Just thought i would stir up the pot a bit.

• It would not surprise me in the least that Polaris pulls the plug on the Slingshot...Like they did with Victory...

I certainly hope not, but even though I never really cared for the Victory bikes, I felt it was an asshat move by Polaris to a loyal customer base.

At least with the Slingshot, offering an automatic transmission will open up an untapped market.

• Slingshot owners are walking billboards for Polaris.

IF you enjoy the slingshot, then share your enthusiasm with others when asked. Sales and profitability will determine plans beyond the 2020 models. We (ME) are thinking (HOPING) an upgrade to our garage is in the future.

;):thumbup:

Change is a constant. Change is inevitable. Change is good.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• What change would you MOST like to see? 20

1. Engine / Automatic, Turbo (13) 65%
    2. Exterior / Body, Paint (5) 25%
    3. Interior / Comforts, Electronics (2) 10%

How about letting Polaris know what changes are needed for REPEAT customers. The easiest slingshot sell is to the first time buyer. The hardest group to sell a slingshot to are those that already own, drive, and have spent the additional funds to customize, and are aware any trade in value will not re-coop our bottom lines.

1.) I would like to see the black hood accents - removed altogether, or painted the same color as the hood. They do offer the option to buy the painted accents... but we don't need 2 sets.. would be nice to be offered as a Choose your accents option at time of purchase.

2.) Welter dual exhaust, or any welter exhaust standard - to date, its the best sounding exhaust. It matches.. the slingshot is not a mustang or camaro, nor is it a toyota prius. the stock exhaust does not match the aggressive tone of the unit. On the flip side - the exhaust from say... any muscle car on the road today, is too aggressive for a 4 cylinder engine.

3.) improved storage. It would require new injection mold tools, but improving behind the seat, and under the seat storage options would sell to those who like riding to where they are going as well as riding when they get there. The ride to us is as enjoyable as the destination. It took us ( airoutlaw ) 3 years to find a suitable fix that works well when needed and stores in garage when not needed.

I'd like to see only the most popular color scheme repeated the next year, and all new color schemes replacing last years. We still have the same color options : red black orange variations... there was the cherry color, and lime but again - they both have black. electric blue - and black... same decals since 2017,

I DO LOVE Orion Blue... but the standard accents are again... black. BTW Polaris... please... that doesn't mean I like white hood accents... How about the orion blue with electic blue accents and frame? or sunset red accents with orion blue?

Interested to see what ya'll would like to see.. :/

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• Slingshot owners are walking billboards for Polaris.

IF you enjoy the slingshot, then share your enthusiasm with others when asked. Sales and profitability will determine plans beyond the 2020 models. We (ME) are thinking (HOPING) an upgrade to our garage is in the future.

;):thumbup:

Change is a constant. Change is inevitable. Change is good.

Good Morning Guardian_Angel are you coming to Maggie Valley in May?

• Polaris missed the boat by not making the S/S Auto and front wheel drive like the car the engine was taken from...And a heater like they have on some of their Side-Bys...

Think about it.... With Front wheel drive you don't have a belt and the Rube Goldberg angle drive with all the noise and traction problems......And with a little heat and front drive they will have more sales in the colder climates....

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• When I took the tour this past year at Huntsville, the person giving the tour was talking a lot about plans for an automatic. They think it will expand the market and allow more people to purchase them. That was the only thing mentioned. I poked and prodded for more info on factory turbo, nothing. Polaris sourced engine...nothing.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• Polaris missed the boat by not making the S/S Auto and front wheel drive like the car the engine was taken from...And a heater like they have on some of their Side-Bys...

Think about it.... With Front wheel drive you don't have a belt and the Rube Goldberg angle drive with all the noise and traction problems......And with a little heat and front drive they will have more sales in the colder climates....

You are missing the whole point of the Slingshot. If that is what you are looking for you need to buy something else. As to any changes, they should not change a thing except maybe the colors every year. Just my 2 cent but I know to keep sales going they need to make some changes every year. Does everyone want a driving machine or a COMFORT machine?

• As to storage, Buy the small luggage rack like mine or @Slunglow's and buy a couple of tube bags, they work great. I have the 10 x 20's and have used for the last 4 years and they have worked great, good enough for a 7 day ride, even with Brenda. I just bought 2 of the large ones, but have not used them yet, I am thinking that we do not need them but the price was right at bike week. I would agree with the Welter exhaust change and the color changes but that is all.

• You are missing the whole point of the Slingshot. If that is what you are looking for you need to buy something else. As to any changes, they should not change a thing except maybe the colors every year. Just my 2 cent but I know to keep sales going they need to make some changes every year. Does everyone want a driving machine or a COMFORT machine?

Agreed, There are already dozens of vehicles out there that already can be had with "automotive" standards of comfort, (including their added regulation.) Where Polaris hit the nail right on the head when they designed and marketed the SlingShot for the uniqueness, and fun, of a motorcycle alternative! :thumbsup:

Bill

• In addition to performance upgrades already mentioned (auto, turbo, engine), I would think a partial redesign of some of the body panels is in order. Even iconic brands like Corvette and Mustang change every few years to freshen and modernize the look over time. It's a way to attract new buyers and repeat buyers who want a update in looks and performance without going to a completely different vehicle.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Returning to the "motorcycle" frame of mind, with any new modifications, Polaris still needs to keep the SlingShot within it's weight restrictions to continue to have the freedom to manufacture the SlingShot as a motorcycle..............

Also, with any design or cosmetic change comes the added penalty of having to produce, and stock, those additional parts, then what happens to the overall cost?

I believe that it would be best for Polaris to keep the SlingShot basic, not making too many changes so to keep the costs lower, while allowing the aftermarket system to provide the extra bells and whistles that an owner may desire.

Bill

• I'm with you rabtech ...

Surprised so many say engine if so many have already turbo or super charged or done some kind of work to engine.

Keep the frame the same and redesign panels. Then we could swap some pieces and keep our engine. 😁

Or buy new model and swap the engine!

• I agree about the engine, why change something that you can beat on and it still keeps on going as long as the tune is right for the Turbo's and the Super Charged ones

Front wheel drive? - - no thank you. if they make it front wheel drive I personally would never buy another one - I love the rear wheel drive and the power over steer fun that comes with it

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• frankly I like that they havent changed the body panels it may not be as exciting as a change would be, but it does mean that replacement parts remain readily available for all years. If they redesign the body how long will it be before they stop making replacement parts for the older styles?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies