Dash range display

• I used to be able to read how many miles left to ride on my tank (Range) but the other day when I filled my tank the range display was only showing the number 1 then after a while the number 2. Today it showed the number 3. I hadn't been on the sling for about a week and I thought maybe it would reset itself but NOOOOOO. Any ideas from anyone??????

Ok so who is next. Haters are gonna hate regardless

• I’m going to give everyone here my free $500 lesson concerning anything electronic....which includes your SS computer...

Many years ago I was doing lots of printing involving color. So I spent $500 to buy a new business printer that had individual color ink cartridges. After several years I started to get an error message that I couldn’t clear. I unplugged the power and back in...twice.

Thinking it crapped out I bought another $500 newer model from the same company. After I had it up and running I read something on the internet about my old printer. It said to clear error messages unplug and plug it in THREE times. So with nothing to lose I plugged it back in for the third time and....guess what....it worked.....

Now this is where these repair people can rip you off because there might not be anything wrong with your gadget...since you don’t know about the secret number of reset times they built into the system....you thinks it’s crap. So they plug it in 3 times or whatever the number is and like magic it’s fixed and you get a nice big bill for being stupid.....

From that day forward I tell everyone that has any problem with printers, copiers, TVs, vcrs, computers....anything with an electron brain ....etc to unplug and plug in TEN times just to be certain....

So with my $500 free lesson....disconnect your negative battery wire and see what happens when you hook it back up.....

Your computer probably suffered a mini stroke and needs reset.

• Bahahaha you had me rolling with the way you described this issue. a mini stroke bahahahaha too freakin funny. I'll give it a shot. Thank you lol :thumbsup:

• My SS started doing the very same thing a while back. The "miles to go" is in single digits, etc.

It happened shortly after I returned from Canada, after I had changed the display units back from Metric to US. Didn't happen immediately, so there may not have been a correlation.

Two different dealers I've asked about this have no clue, never heard of this before. I didn't push the point, choosing to keep driving and see if it recovered on its own. (It hasn't). When I go in for the back-up camera fix, I'm going to push the issue and demand they open a claim with Polaris on this issue (I have the Polaris extended warranty on my 2016 SL)

Oh and Bigdog, nice story but unhooking the battery does not fix this issue (at least not on mine, after the two different times I had the battery cables disconnected)

• Miles to empty would be hard to determine if you constantly drive the Slingshot but never fuel it.

How do you determine miles to empty on infinite fuel?

Try the following to see if it might improve your situation.

During normal use rides, always reset both trip meters at fuel fill-up.

During trips only reset one to keep track of tank useage, and use the other to track total trip mileage.

And if this works or doesn't, let us know your results.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• frehleycomet & ITZQUIK your both referring to range which is based on MPG.

MPG can be reset. Try this at your next fill up, after filling the tank use the mode button

to toggle thru to MPG then press and hold button in . After releasing it should start to

relearn.

Hope this helps. Let us know the results

• My suggestion was because I thought he was using the black dash button to reset the reading.....maybe he’s not doing that?...

Whenever you disconnect the negative wire the computer has to reset itself.....that should also reset all the electronic dash functions...

It’s not throwing a code is it?

• My suggestion was because I thought he was using the black dash button to reset the reading.....maybe he’s not doing that?...

Whenever you disconnect the negative wire the computer has to reset itself.....that should also reset all the electronic dash functions...

It’s not throwing a code is it?

no code at all

• Wow there's a display for that? just kidding. Personally I use the gas bar at the top. When it gets down to 2 segments I put more gas in. Voila, 99 bottles of beer on the wall. I concur with the other's. Remove the negative battery cable. Go back into the house till there is 98 bottles of beer on the wall and re-connect. I wonder, does beer have an octane rating?

• just curious - are you driving when the display is just reading 2 or 3 or is the slingshot just sitting there parked?

I ask because it would seem reasonable to me that to calculate range you would have to be moving. Range would be determined using speed, rate of fuel consumption and amount of fuel remaining. if you are not moving how can it calculate how far you can go on the remaining fuel.

just wondering

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• It's my understanding the computer calculates MPG buy counting pulses to the injectors and distance covered/speed of the vehicle. Miles to go would be using the same inputs plus adding fuel on board (level sensor) but running the signals through another integer with a different Al Gore rhythm. With the info you have described, all the sensors are functioning but the part if the program (could be an individual chip in the computer or subroutine in the program) has been corrupted or failed. With my experience in putters, corrupted files are very rare and generally show up with multiple snags or it won't run at all. I have not seen the layout nor the architecture of the MCU so my guess is there is probable a chip on one of the boards dedicated to MTG. The only way I can think of is temporarily swapping out the MCU and see if the snag goes away. Or you could just check the fuel level gage now and then like we did in the good old days.

• just curious - are you driving when the display is just reading 2 or 3 or is the slingshot just sitting there parked?

I ask because it would seem reasonable to me that to calculate range you would have to be moving. Range would be determined using speed, rate of fuel consumption and amount of fuel remaining. if you are not moving how can it calculate how far you can go on the remaining fuel.

just wondering

It seems to me that the computer would use the average mpg currently stored times the number of gallons currently in the tank to calculate range and it would not factor in speed.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• My impala's range used to drop like a rock when I was sitting at a light and then go back up when I started moving. I remember one time when I was sitting in the gas line behind 2 other cars at costco when it said around 90 miles when I pulled into the line and by the time I got to the pump it had dropped to 37. Always assumed it was because I wasnt moving.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• s=d/t It all depends on the author of the program. Yes MPG X fuel on board will work. I should not have used the word speed because it is already factored into the equation. But that would be too easy and don't forget we are working with Polaris here. I might go as far as P.I.D. is involved in the algorithm. Proportional, Integral, Rate. Just saying. My curiosity lies in, why just the count down display is the only thing not showing the correct info.