When NOT to use the traction control?

• Growing up in Montana I am very familiar with snow and ice and love to purposely go out and play with it. Moving to Oregon I become very acquainted with the feel of larger amounts of water on the road. Heading up on the Interstate to our dealer in the rain to drop off the Grasshopper and get recalls done, Justina drove through the stream of water ahead of me and I saw her fishtail a wee bit where I immediately let off on the accelerator, but not quick enough, the very next second I was sideways on the road, then slammed in the opposite direction, then back again. Now, it may be my imagination, but I did not feel the SlingShot simply slide out from underneath me, I definitely got the impression of it being jerked out from under me. Since then we have turned off the stability control when experiencing the same conditions where I can feel the Slingshot become somewhat skittish at times, (I call it getting up on it's toes), but I have not come to even close to loosing control like that day.

Bill

• My thinking is when you come up to standing water, braking is the last thing you want to do. If the stability control brakes one wheel even for a split second it'll start a reaction. Anyone remember when the reporters doing test drives before the Slingshot was released and had some serious spin outs due to a small pothole with water in it? That seemed to delay the release while Polaris made some changes to the stability control.

• when you were fishtailing .....was the front end out of control also or just the back end?

I know what fishtailing means....just curios if it involved all 3 wheels. The traction control would have adjusted the rear wheel and the stability control should have adjusted the front wheels.

Did you gain control because of driving skills or did you get (come) out of the water and regain traction? Or lose of momentum....

• when you were fishtailing .....was the front end out of control also or just the back end?

I know what fishtailing means....just curios if it involved all 3 wheels. The traction control would have adjusted the rear wheel and the stability control should have adjusted the front wheels.

Did you gain control because of driving skills or did you get (come) out of the water and regain traction? Or lose of momentum....

The few times i fishtailed ....It felt just like torque steer the S/S front end pulled hard to the left almost over the center line....Then the control took over and ''Snapped'' the front back in my lane.....Without any input from me...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• It all happened so fast that I really cannot say with any certainty what actually happened, but my senses tell me that even though I never touched the brakes, the front end was jerked to one side as the tires were regaining their footing coming out of the water while the rear tire was still "floating", thus starting the whole sashay dance. Of course, my inner ego is telling me that it was my experience, and superior skills handling such situations, that allowed me to regain control! :thumbsup:

Bill

• In dry weather on twisty roads I turn it off by pressing the button. I do not hold it in to turn everything off. I find it helps reduce understeer and allows the sling to oversteer in a turn. I have driven through heavy rain and had the sling go uncontrollable. I now never do over 40 mph in heavy rain. Never. I played with turning it off / on / totally off in heavy rain. I found that leaving traction control off felt most stable.

• I’ve got a couple of trips planned this spring during typical rainy months. I’m a new owner just since October so being winter I haven’t been out much, none in the rain. The propensity for the Slingshot to hydroplane is certainly a concern to me. Hearing from those who have experienced this, and how quickly the SS seems to get sideways, I wonder if a non-performance, more rain oriented tire would help. Something that channels water out from under the tire. F1 cars use tires that channel a phenomenal amount of water from under them during rain conditions. I’m probably less a performance driver than I am a conservative driver.

• I’ve got a couple of trips planned this spring during typical rainy months. I’m a new owner just since October so being winter I have been out much. The propensity for the Slingshot to hydroplane is certainly a concern to me. Hearing from those who have experienced this, and how quickly the SS seems to get sideways, I wonder if a non-performance, more rain oriented tire would help. Something that channels water out from under the tire. F1 cars use tires that channel a phenomenal amount of water from under them. I’m probably less a performance driver than I am a conservative driver.

my slingshot is my daily driver, as such I drive it rain or shine. when my original rear tire wore out I switched to the Nitto Motivo. it is still an ultra high performance tire, but it is an all season tire instead of a summer tire and it is supposed to have better wet traction. My original fronts lasted much longer, but tomorrow I am having the Motivo's installed to replace them as well

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• The absolute better option for those that have differing seasons would be to operate with "summer" tires during the warm months, (above 50 degrees F) and then switch to more appropriate "winter" tires when the temps drop. We personally choose to compromise by operating an All-Season tire, ( BF Goodrich g-Force™ COMP-2™ A/S.) Though, we still turn off the ESC when there is standing water on the roadway while driving more cautiously.

Bill

• The absolute better option for those that have differing seasons would be to operate with "summer" tires during the warm months, (above 50 degrees F) and then switch to more appropriate "winter" tires when the temps drop. We personally choose to compromise by operating an All-Season tire, ( BF Goodrich g-Force™ COMP-2™ A/S.) Though, we still turn off the ESC when there is standing water on the roadway while driving more cautiously.

Bill

here in the desert we only have two seasons, 3 to 4 months of really hot and then 8 to 9 months of what most people would call spring

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Some good points offered here. Perhaps it's more of a question of being in toon with the "feel" of the machine & the situation. When expected situations arise and the driver can adjust and react with anticipation it may be better with traction control off? On or off I do like Big Dogs input of backing of on the throttle, steering into the slide then finessing back into control.

Keep the wheels on the road and the feet on the pegs. Oh wait, we've got three wheels. Guess that's a really good thing when it comes to hydroplaning :)

• Wish I would've known that before my incident... And Edward Neal, mine was on when it happened and I knew it would break loose as I saw the stream of water I was approaching during a heavy rainstorm. I didn't apply brakes, but not sure if the ESP did... Either way I was able to avoid hitting any vehicle and 18-wheeler around me and just bang the side on the concrete barrier that divides the directions of the highways.

Scary moment and really I was just worried about hitting the front end (figured more expensive to repair) and damaging Painter s work!

Love it! no mention of bodily injury- just don’t scratch the paint! We do love our slings!🤗.

18-wheeler around me ......

Scary moment and really I was just worried about hitting the front end (figured more expensive to repair) and damaging Painter s work!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Because of all the spin out stories......My first priority when driving is to constantly check the best route for my rear tire to have the best traction. That usually means looking to keep the rear tire out of gravel if possible. Gravel is like being on ice. If I see gravel coming up I’m off the gas. Next is Keeping it in the dry lane and out of as much water as possible. Also watching for oil, tranny fluid or antifreeze on the road. Remember our rear tire tracks in the center of the lane which is where most Of the oil leaks end up. If it’s starting to rain or just quit I keep my rear tire out of the middle of the lane if at all possible.

• My thinking is when you come up to standing water, braking is the last thing you want to do. If the stability control brakes one wheel even for a split second it'll start a reaction. Anyone remember when the reporters doing test drives before the Slingshot was released and had some serious spin outs due to a small pothole with water in it? That seemed to delay the release while Polaris made some changes to the stability control.

I would think that having just a center wheel in the rear and adapting a stability control system for a such a three-wheeled vehicle took some extra doing with the back wheel being used for traction control only?

Bill

• I don't know what to say.

I drive my sling pretty aggressively and have even had it on road courses in turns up to 90mph. I have never had an issue and like rabtech I am using the Haltech ECM

I think that once you know your machines limitations you have to learn ho to drive within them. It is a feeling "butt thru the seat connection" between you and your machine. When they are not in sync - bad stuff happens.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

I drive my sling pretty aggressively and have even had it on road courses in turns up to 90mph. I have never had an issue and like rabtech I am using the Haltech ECM

I think that once you know your machines limitations you have to learn ho to drive within them. It is a feeling "butt thru the seat connection" between you and your machine. When they are not in sync - bad stuff happens.

Flying buy the seat under your pants, or driving in this case!

I agree. I never did care to listen to them

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE