When NOT to use the traction control?

• Now that the SlingShot has been out long enough now for some folks to get some real seat experience, I would like to discuss when to NOT use the traction / stability control? We have had the Grasshopper sneak out from underneath us only once with a hydroplaning situation on the Interstate and, man, that can really get your attention real quick, lemme tell ya! Fortunately I was able to keep it shiny side up with no added impact modifications. Since, I now turn off the traction / stability control when there is a chance of experiencing standing water at highway speeds. In other words when conditions present the opportunity to float a little is possible, I turn the traction / stability control off. Do folks here concur and what other advice does anybody else have to offer?

Bill

• Now that the SlingShot has been out long enough now for some folks to get some real seat experience, I would like to discuss when to NOT use the traction / stability control? We have had the Grasshopper sneak out from underneath us only once with a hydroplaning situation on the Interstate and, man, that can really get your attention real quick, lemme tell ya! Fortunately I was able to keep it shiny side up with no added impact modifications. Since, I now turn off the traction / stability control when there is a chance of experiencing standing water at highway speeds. In other words when conditions present the opportunity to float a little is possible, I turn the traction / stability control off. Do folks here concur and what other advice does anybody else have to offer?

Bill

I turn them off also.

• What’s the reasoning behind turning it off if there’s rain? I’ve read where you have to be really careful when it’s raining, and that hydroplaning can happen very quickly, but it seems traction stability control would lessen the likelihood.

• when hydroplaning the tires are floating on the surface of the water and have no contact with the road. I wonder how traction control could do much of anything in this situation.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• when hydroplaning the tires are floating on the surface of the water and have no contact with the road. I wonder how traction control could do much of anything in this situation.

The ESP system works by applying brakes, but, just like you say, in a hydroplane situation, since the tires are no longer in contact with the road there is nothing to grip. So, if I understand correctly this "confuses" the ESP system and it may very well compound the problem by applying brakes to the wrong wheel(s.)

Bill

• I could very well be wrong on this but my impression of "most" electronic traction control systems is in the ability to regain lost traction using the process of limiting drive power to the slipping wheel. I believe this is done by cutting the ignition to alternate cylinders thus reducing the power output to the wheel allowing it to hook up or buy reducing the fuel flow to cylinders.

I know of some braking EBS (anti lock) used on aircraft and motorcycles that use a valve to pulse the hydraulic systems using quick grab, let go & grab again that allow to wheels to anti skid and hold traction.

• Traction control also applies the brakes to any wheel it detect as as spinning faster than the others....besides cutting engine power and reducing torque. It also works with the ABS .

In the event of a spin....you should remove your foot from the gas pedal and steer in the direction of the spin. Do not apply the brakes.

• From the Owner's Manual:

Electronic Stability Program (ESP) Switch

The ESP is active by default. This feature helps reduce the risk of accident by providing traction control and stability control. If ESP senses a loss of stability due to loss of traction (skidding) the ESP intervenes by automatically applying brakes to one or more wheels and reducing power to the rear wheel.

The electronic stability control system does not compensate for, or reduce the risks associated with:

• excessive speed

• reduced traction on rough, uneven or loose surfaces

• poor judgment

• improper operation

hydroplaning

Bill

• The Slingshot being a 3 wheeler reacts very differently in wet/water on the road conditions. Since Feb of 2015 and 73,000 miles in the seat I have driven in all types of weather conditions. I have had some minor 'loss of control' but always kept 3 tires down and only wiggled around the lane. Enough to believe that if the traction control would have been 'off' I would have had better control. Thanks wjfyfe and FunCycle for the topic and the 'second'.

• i havent had traction control or stability control since i switched to the Haltech ECU... which was 2 years ago. At first i worried that it might be a handful to control. However i have figured out that its pretty easy to control it without any help. I have actually found that its alot easier to control when your on a twisty forest road. You just know how much it takes to break it loose and you never have to worry aboit it kicking in and throwing you "back into shape". I like to do the corrections myself.

I cant speak for how the stability control handles water. I have never had any luck driving mine in the rain. Its just wants to skip and hydroplane everywhere....

• I love lawyer talk... that basically says I told you so, so you can't sue us. :00002485::00008040::00008084:

• wjfyfe Im with you on this i turn off the ESP switch any time the roads are wet.

I'm not sure if this is the wright thing to do,but if i get put off into a ditch in a rain storm i want to know it was my

Fault not my Sling putting on the brakes on its own.

• So will it help if you hit a patch of loose gravel?

If it’s only good on dry roads....why have it at all?

I read it’s not good if you’re stuck in mud or snow....

You may be mixing up "Traction Control" with the "Stability Control", (my title prolly did not help?) There is lots of information on the Internet about both systems, it may serve you well to do some of your own research on the topic, but the explanations still may leave you confused, especially when trying to relate it to a vehicle which is "missing" a wheel?

This, however, may be a good place to start:

The main thing maybe to take away from this where hydroplaning is concerned, with both the traction and stability control to work properly the tire(s) need to be in contact with the road, where, obviously, they are not under hydroplaning situations?

Bill

• That’s a pretty impressive video.....

So .....traction control stops the drive wheels from spinning...under power

Stability control stops the wheels from spinning...if they lose traction...

ABS keeps the wheels spinning...if the brakes are applied to prevent a skid.

So wouldn’t driving on ice be the same as hydroplaning? Ice and water having the same characteristics when you’re sliding. That is preventing your tires from having any traction. Shouldn't you actually need all 3 of these functions? It’s what saved him from crashing and gave him greatly improved control....

When we grew up without any of these functions....we learned how to drive under all conditions. And according to the video....these things react faster than our reflexes...so I don’t see how turning them off under any driving condition would improve anything?

• I drive my Slingshot rain or shine and I have never turned the traction control or the stability control off. Other than the ease with which the rear end will break loose I have not had any more problems with hydroplaning or loss of front traction than any car I have owned.

As to turning the nanny controls off in the wet I suspect it would be likely to increase the chances of the loss of control - it may not help in an actual hydroplane situation, but it should help most of the time when you are not hydroplaning and the roads are slick. - - one thing for sure, if anyone could actually show that having the traction control turned on in the rain caused an accident Polaris would be in for a major lawsuit

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I drive my Slingshot rain or shine and I have never turned the traction control or the stability control off. Other than the ease with which the rear end will break loose I have not had any more problems with hydroplaning or loss of front traction than any car I have owned.

As to turning the nanny controls off in the wet I suspect it would be likely to increase the chances of the loss of control - it may not help in an actual hydroplane situation, but it should help most of the time when you are not hydroplaning and the roads are slick. - - one thing for sure, if anyone could actually show that having the traction control turned on in the rain caused an accident Polaris would be in for a major lawsuit

I tried it both ways , On and Off....In the snow and it must be that i'm getting old because i could not react as fast as the traction control did......And remember i was testing it so i knew i was going to lose control and i still couldn't react faster than the control....When you are caught by surprise who knows where you'll end up...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• wjfyfe Im with you on this i turn off the ESP switch any time the roads are wet.

I'm not sure if this is the wright thing to do,but if i get put off into a ditch in a rain storm i want to know it was my

Fault not my Sling putting on the brakes on its own.

Wish I would've known that before my incident... And Edward Neal, mine was on when it happened and I knew it would break loose as I saw the stream of water I was approaching during a heavy rainstorm. I didn't apply brakes, but not sure if the ESP did... Either way I was able to avoid hitting any vehicle and 18-wheeler around me and just bang the side on the concrete barrier that divides the directions of the highways.

Scary moment and really I was just worried about hitting the front end (figured more expensive to repair) and damaging Painter s work!