When NOT to use the traction control?

• I drove my Sling from Maggie Valley, NC to Little Rock, Ar in rain. Both light and heavy but constant. In the heavy rain it would slide some so I slowed to 55 if the rain was heavy but kept it on 70 for the light rain. It was tiring from concentrating so much on the driving for so long a period but, other than that, no problems.

• Now, go and do that 90 MPH with standing water on the road way, will the ESP be on, or off? Come back and share your tale ? :P

Bill

I guess sir you did read my post completely. I didn't make any recommendations that anyone not use ESP and I didn't say anything about rain. Even a dumbass like me is smart enough to know when you have over 400 hp going to one wheel driving in the rain is just not fun.

I was just explaining that in a set up like mine or rabtech we do not have full use of ESP and we do not see any real difference in normal or aggressive driving. So since I am not experienced enough for this conversation I will quietly make an exit and leave to those who know better.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• lol. I love listening to those that can say, "I am so good that it will never happen to me! Congratulations Shantyman, you are one to aspire to! :thumbsup:

Bill

When did I say it will never happen to me? You're such a dip shit, if anyone has a different view then you, they're wrong. I SAID IT WORKED PERFECTLY!!! Glad to see you're faster then a computer genius!

• Oh boy, I got to have a wee bit of fun today where there was a good sized body of about two to three inches of water in the middle of a large parking lot where I was able to do a little "research" on the SlingShot hydroplaning. I was able to get a dozen runs or so before I depleted the water supply! First off, with the BF Goodrich g-Force™ COMP-2™ A/S tires it took a good wee bit of effort just to get the SlingShot up on it's toes, quite a bit more speed was necessary that I originally imagined, which pleased me. Otherwise, when I did accomplish to getting the tires to float, with the ESP on, obviously brakes were being automatically applied while the tires were floating, which would suddenly jerk you when the tires found their footing again. With the ESP off, it was mostly a non-issue by just steering out of the skid when the tires once again regained their traction, as long as the SlingShot was not already too far sideways. And, speaking of sideways, the Slingshot really did like to get all cantywumpus while it was playing as a boat. The main lesson learned was one that we all already know, the more standing water on the roadway, the less you should be pressing down on that go pedal!

Bill

• I really HATE traction control! Can't tell you how many times I've had TC cut power & leave me in a dangerous situation.

Modern TC is likely to leave you half way out in traffic & cut power at the worst possible time.

My Hyundai Santa Fe is terrible this way and I always make sure to turn off TC when I start rolling. If you know your vehicle's limits - and how to steer out of a skid, I think you are better off without TC. This also assumes that you are a conservative driver & aware of road conditions. TC never pays attention to the 'global' situation, it just looks at wheel spin rates, etc.

Short answer, if I need TC to save me, I've already made a whole series of poor driving decisions.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I really HATE traction control! Can't tell you how many times I've had TC cut power & leave me in a dangerous situation.

Modern TC is likely to leave you half way out in traffic & cut power at the worst possible time.

My Hyundai Santa Fe is terrible this way and I always make sure to turn off TC when I start rolling. If you know your vehicle's limits - and how to steer out of a skid, I think you are better off without TC. This also assumes that you are a conservative driver & aware of road conditions. TC never pays attention to the 'global' situation, it just looks at wheel spin rates, etc.

Short answer, if I need TC to save me, I've already made a whole series of poor driving decisions.

Hummm GREAT PDA! I have been looking at both sides of this and have only turned off the TC once. Might sound crazy but my only hesitation is the three wheel VS 4. I have no issues with handling a car in a drift. I think I need to go to an empty parking lot and push it - find the behavioral aspects of the 3 wheel drift. I have slipped the rear a few times in twistie’s but don’t really know if the TC kicked in or not. Never been a fan of nanny “anything “ so perhaps it’s time .

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Yes, you can drift it with the smoke rolling. I have done that on the race track. I did not relize what was happening on the track until I blew out the cup holders and left them out. The smoke was just rolling up thru the holes after that. So Yes you can drift even if you have not seen the Polaris free rides video's

• When the time is right I think I will find a big lot and turn of my TC and see how much smoke I can make and try out some drifting - - - but its going to have to wait until my rear tire is due to be replaced.

Perhaps I should get a second rear wheel with a cheep tire just to have a play time spare :)

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies