Tire size increases

• Spacers might also make a difference. If a tire has less than the desired offset, a spacer will act to decrease the offset, moving the tire even more off-center, but if your preferred wheel has a lager offset than needed, a spacer can move the tire closer to a centered position.

This video uses an example of a wheel with a higher than desired offset (35 mm) and combining it with a 25 mm spacer for an effective offset of 10 mm -

Of course, some people don't like using spacers since they increase unsprung weight among other things, so you need to research the pluses and minuses of spacers.

• Yeah, I knew if a wheel had a larger offset than you need, you could use a spacer, but nothing can be done for too small of an offset.

If I call AM, it will be merely to search for a larger wheel, not necessarily telling them it will be on a SS. I'd only order from a place that would let me easily swap it out for a different size upon checking fitment.

Forgestar CF5 is really nice, and they have a wide range of sizes/offsets, but they are quite a bit more expensive and will be my last resort.

• Yeah, I knew if a wheel had a larger offset than you need, you could use a spacer, but nothing can be done for too small of an offset.

If I call AM, it will be merely to search for a larger wheel, not necessarily telling them it will be on a SS. I'd only order from a place that would let me easily swap it out for a different size upon checking fitment.

Forgestar CF5 is really nice, and they have a wide range of sizes/offsets, but they are quite a bit more expensive and will be my last resort.

I have read on the various forums that, depending on the wheel, some folks have machined a few mm (typically 3-4) from the wheel mounting surface to increase the offset. They made clear that doing so can reduce the strength of the wheel if there isn't lot of material to work with.

• same thing I ordered, but mine are 18"

Wow! All I can say is Wow! About ten miles in today on a 225 mile day my wife looks at me and says “kind of feels like you installed new shocks” The new matching Federal’s on the front made the SS feel like a whole new machine! Stable, predictable no matter how hard you push and a more forgiving yet “Velcro “ in the corners ride. And here in CA freeways are groved and they don’t “follow “ like the stock tires. They track true no matter where the grove goes! I was not expecting there to be this dramatic of a change. Because of the tread pattern I’m not sure if it would be a good rain tire but that’s not an issue for me. Hands down I will order these again!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Wow! All I can say is Wow! About ten miles in today on a 225 mile day my wife looks at me and says “kind of feels like you installed new shocks” The new matching Federal’s on the front made the SS feel like a whole new machine! Stable, predictable no matter how hard you push and a more forgiving yet “Velcro “ in the corners ride. And here in CA freeways are groved and they don’t “follow “ like the stock tires. They track true no matter where the grove goes! I was not expecting there to be this dramatic of a change. Because of the tread pattern I’m not sure if it would be a good rain tire but that’s not an issue for me. Hands down I will order these again!

thanks, this is good to hear. Mine are on, but not sure how they are in SNOW!!! Need to wait till around August to get the sling out;(

• I'm looking at a Cooper Zeon RS3-S for my SLR in 305/35/20. I've had Cooper tires in the past and have had good luck with them, and my rear stock Kenda needs to go pretty quick. I'm just over 5K miles and wear bars are starting to get close and these things are like running on hard plastic wheels - not enough grip for me! Price on the Coopers is also within my budget - 305 wide tires get pricey and not every manufacturer offers 305/30/20's!

My question is will this larger sidewall be a problem? I think a bigger sidewall should offer me a smoother ride - this would be a real plus on the gatorback roads in rural Arkansas! Obviously - I don't want my Sling throwing codes and having conniptions. Here's what the website shows:

Cooper doesn't offer the Zeon in a 305/30 - I checked the tire size comparator at Tiresize.com - here's what it shows comparing the original Kendas to the Coopers:

Diameter +4.4%

Width - no change

Sidewall +16.7%

Circumference +4.4%

Rev/mile -32

Speedometer says 60mph - actual speed 62.6 mph

Is this okay, or do I need to look further? Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• My change wasn't as much as yours I don't think. My tires are 10mm bigger in diameter, so my 60mph speed is now 59.12

https://www.willtheyfit.com/?w…eel_width=10-5&offset2=48

However, tiresize.com says something different, says my 60 mph speed will really be 60.9, so one of them is wrong.

Either way, My change isn't as drastic, but I didn't have any code issues.

• Thanks wokka !

I figure that the speedo works off engine RPM and programmed tire size (most modern cars do this.) That means that a bigger tire will go farther in the same time (same RPMs) so the bigger tire *should* have higher speed. This also matches my calculations, TireSize.com is on the money.

• Thanks wokka !

I figure that the speedo works off engine RPM and programmed tire size (most modern cars do this.) That means that a bigger tire will go farther in the same time (same RPMs) so the bigger tire *should* have higher speed. This also matches my calculations, TireSize.com is on the money.

He just took us to school! 👏 💪 🎓

• Doc&Ruby , I use a Nitto 555G2 size 315/35/20. No nanny lights but I used a tire size calculator and it seems I am traveling apx 3 mph faster than the speedo reads.

dangerdarrell

This is good to know. This is about the same thing I calculated, and my math agreed with the values given on Tiresize.com -- +2.7 mph over speedometer value.

The 305/35/20 tires are also within 4.5% of stock size, conventional wisdom here seems to be that if you are within 5%, it is fine. Fact of the matter is, there aren't many tires out there that exactly match the Kenda's 305/30/20 profile! You can get some Pirelli pZeros and stuff, but they are $3-400 a tire and UP! 8|

I'm right at 4900 miles on Ruby and the Kenda wear bars are showing, traction is way down and there is a lot less grip in corners and leaving a stop than there used to be. Going to take a trip to San Antonio in mid-May, if I don't replace the rear tire before I go, I'm certainly going to replace it afterward!

• dangerdarrell

This is good to know. This is about the same thing I calculated, and my math agreed with the values given on Tiresize.com -- +2.7 mph over speedometer value.

The 305/35/20 tires are also within 4.5% of stock size, conventional wisdom here seems to be that if you are within 5%, it is fine. Fact of the matter is, there aren't many tires out there that exactly match the Kenda's 305/30/20 profile! You can get some Pirelli pZeros and stuff, but they are $3-400 a tire and UP! 8|

I'm right at 4900 miles on Ruby and the Kenda wear bars are showing, traction is way down and there is a lot less grip in corners and leaving a stop than there used to be. Going to take a trip to San Antonio in mid-May, if I don't replace the rear tire before I go, I'm certainly going to replace it afterward!

You're coming in the Sling? Party at 2W2X1!!!

• You're coming in the Sling? Party at 2W2X1!!!

Oh you know it! Going to set up a fun little day ride and end here for some relaxation.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• So you saying you ain't got time for us folks? 😢

Heck no! This is kinda not my party! 2W2X1 invited me when he heard I would be in the area, as far as I'm concerned it's more the merrier time!

The Captain can't come, she has to work. My brother can't come, he is wheelchair bound and his health is fragile. That's kind of the reason for the trip... we talk on the phone all the time but haven't seen each other in years. Gotta do these things while you can!

This trip will be shorter than I like, but not the last time for sure! :thumbsup: