Tire size increases

• I have been told that + or -5% in actual tire diameter are the tolerances in the auto industry. What are the tolerances for the slingshot for tire diameter increases? I would like to go to the 265 40 17 for the front tires. The stock is 205 50 17. Will the computer on the slingshot tolerate the slight increase? Any insight on this would be appreciated .

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• How wide are your rims. That’s where my concern is. My stock SL rims are 18x7.5 and those are way wider than any reputable tire company would install.

On what percentage you can go over I will have to defer to someone else because I have not gotten much over stock when I installed a wider back tire.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• Thanks Rob the Slob - These will be for the front tires. The rims are stock and I was wondering the same for the install. I will have to find out what the width is on the stock rims. I have a 2016 Base.

I guess the question is this; How much over in diameter can I go up with out throwing codes and what is the safe increase in width the stock rim will take. Glad you brought up the width issue - :/

• SoCal here is a little tid bit of info on the stock wheels and tires:

SlingShot Base:

Front Wheels 17X7 with +42mm Offset / 46.07 lbs with tires

Rear Wheel 18X9.5 with +45mm Offset / 57.07 lbs with tires

The Base gets 205/50R17 up front and 265/35R18 in the rear.

Lug nut Pattern is 5X114.3 for both.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• Thanks Rob the Slob - These will be for the front tires. The rims are stock and I was wondering the same for the install. I will have to find out what the width is on the stock rims. I have a 2016 Base.

I guess the question is this; How much over in diameter can I go up with out throwing codes and what is the safe increase in width the stock rim will take. Glad you brought up the width issue - :/

The basic question you have to answer is just what are you trying to accomplish? Just a wider tire for the sake of looks above all else (except for the computer issues)? That comes with a different issue regarding ride quality as the smaller the aspect ratio you go (smaller sidewall) the added effective spring rate you have therefore you have a rougher ride. There are others, but you should think it through completely before making the move. With everything I've done to my slingshot, I still use the stock front wheels and tire size. The rear, well, that's a different story. But it does look good back there

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• On a 7” wide wheel ideal tire width is 205-215. The max you could safely go would be 225. You cannot put a 265 on there without going up to a 9.5” wide wheel ideally. You COULD get away with it on a 9” wheel but if you have to buy new wheels anyway you may as well buy the correct size.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Man! That’s why I love this place- sooo many willing minds above my pay grade!

This is where I am headed. Got a trip coming up and need new skin up front. Vanity being what it is I would like to have a wider tire than stock. But want to stay with in safety ranges on the stock wheels. And not upset the computer.

Thanks for all the great advice!

• Many general tire/wheel size guides seem to conservatively (low side) estimate the proper tire for a given wheel width. I'd recommend checking the tire manufacturer's website to see which tires they recommend for a given wheel width.

Using the 5% oversize as a limit for compatibility with the safety systems, a 205/50R17 tire with a diameter of 25.16" means a maximum tire Diameter of 26.41" (25.16 x 1.05) before exceeding the 5% larger Diameter limit.

Here's some tire/wheel info from the Nitto website -

(I added the diameter % difference info)

Nitto 555G2 (https://www.nittotire.com/pass…ra-high-performance-tire/)

Tire Size Dia. Wheel Widths

225/45ZR17 24.96 7.0-(7.5)-8.5 w/in 5% of Diameter

225/50ZR17 25.91 6.0-(7.0)-8.0 "

255/50ZR17 27.09 7.0-(8.0)-9.0 7.6% over

Nitto Motivo (https://www.nittotire.com/pass…ra-high-performance-tire/)

Tire Size Dia. Wheel Widths

205/50ZR17 25.16 5.5-(6.5)-7.5 (Polaris Stock size)

215/45ZR17 24.61 7.0-(7.0)-8.0 w/in 5% of Diameter

215/50ZR17 25.47 6.0-(7.0)-7.5 " (This is my current model and size Front Tire)

215/55ZR17 26.26 6.0-(7.0)-7.5 "

225/45ZR17 24.92 7.0-(7.5)-8.5 w/in 5% of Diameter

225/50ZR17 25.87 6.0-(7.0)-8.0 "

225/55ZR17 26.61 6.0-(7.0)-8.0 5.7% (might get by)

245/50ZR17 27.09 7.0-(7.5)-8.5 7.6% over

Nitto actually shows that if the front wheel were a 7.5" width, a 555 G2 275/50R17 will fit, but it would be 7.6% larger Diameter than the stock size and may or may not cause safety system issues.

As far as my rear tire, I have run as large as a 295/30R18 on my stock base rear wheel. I currently run a Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17 on a Mustang 17 x 10.5 +28mm Offset wheel from American Muscle. It sits about 1.5" off-center to the left, but I have not experienced any handling issues.

• Man! That’s why I love this place- sooo many willing minds above my pay grade!

This is where I am headed. Got a trip coming up and need new skin up front. Vanity being what it is I would like to have a wider tire than stock. But want to stay with in safety ranges on the stock wheels. And not upset the computer.

Thanks for all the great advice!

One last bit of info regarding front tires that you may not have considered. IF you have a trailer or any future plans to ever tow the slingshot to any events, the width of most trailers do not allow for too much extra front wheel stance to clear between the trailer fenders. It's a major issue and some enclosed trailers don't have much extra width to spare. Just something to consider as well

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• One last bit of info regarding front tires that you may not have considered. IF you have a trailer or any future plans to ever tow the slingshot to any events, the width of most trailers do not allow for too much extra front wheel stance to clear between the trailer fenders. It's a major issue and some enclosed trailers don't have much extra width to spare. Just something to consider as well

I have a 7 x 14 open utility trailer that I use to trailer to Florida in the winter...stock wheels and tire size. barely 3 inches of clearance total on width. Couple of different guys were going to use my trailer and had bigger wheels/tires and could not get the Slingshot on the trailer. With any change we make to the Slingshot we need to look down the 'road' a little to see what we may want in the future.

• Thank you! A lot of good information here that I will digest over the next day or so .

• okay - being the cheap bastard that I am I will throw price into the mixture here.

just remember that with wider tires you also get higher prices. When I first replaced my rear tire I looked at going wider and I was surprised how much the price went up with some of the sizes not sure if it is actually due to the size or perhaps the popularity but it really doesn't matter. Just something to keep in mind especially if you are considering going to a wider wheel that would necessitate you stick with the wider tires in the future.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Very true Edward Neal

I was in Discount yesterday getting new tires on one of our cars and while waiting, I chatted with one of the salesmen about wheels/tires. I'm pretty picky on the type of wheel I want and it took us 45 minutes to find the one I liked, and a bonus, it wasn't too expensive.

The tires on the other hand, and like most people, I want to go wider. Going with a 18x10 inch rim all the way around, and 315/30R18, the tires were almost twice the cost of the rims. I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, figured I would wear out the stock tires first then look at upgrading, but I have my budget in mind now that I have prices.

• Very true Edward Neal

I was in Discount yesterday getting new tires on one of our cars and while waiting, I chatted with one of the salesmen about wheels/tires. I'm pretty picky on the type of wheel I want and it took us 45 minutes to find the one I liked, and a bonus, it wasn't too expensive.

The tires on the other hand, and like most people, I want to go wider. Going with a 18x10 inch rim all the way around, and 315/30R18, the tires were almost twice the cost of the rims. I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, figured I would wear out the stock tires first then look at upgrading, but I have my budget in mind now that I have prices.

and once you get the wider rims then the wider tires become necessary to fit those rims - - and the increased cost of the tires becomes something you deal with every time you need tires

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies