Tire size increases

• Are you using the mileage guarantee as an example of how well the tire is supposed to perform, or as an actual guarantee? The reason I have brought this up is because so far I have not found any company that will guarantee their tire(s) that cannot be rotated?

Bill

you make a good point Bill and yes I was simply trying to point out that it should last longer than a non guaranteed tire from the same company

But having said that the Motivos are non directional they have a side that is supposed to be mounted toward the outside of the vehicle which means on the front of the slingshot they could be rotated from one side to the other by simply switching the wheels and the proper side of the tire would still be on the outside - - - just to be clear on this I do plan on rotating my fronts to try to maximize their life, but I do not expect 60,000 out of them and having bought them on line I am not sure the warranty would even be valid

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• As far as using a tire with a mileage warranty in a non-rotatable situation, check with the tire manufacturer. It's my understanding that many manufacturers will still warranty the tire for half its rotatable mileage warranty when used in a staggered (non-rotatable) installation.

• I decided to go with these:

Bridgestone RE71R

245-40/18 on 18x8.5 shoes

295-30/20 on a 20x11 shoe (no 305 in this tire)

Supposedly a rough ride but evidently stick like Spiderman. (They'll go on once I get my SS back from the backup camera recall, some time next week.)

• I do not like the looks of that one if you get caught int the rain

• well, I just got my Motivo's installed on the front - the weather people said it was going to rain this morning, but so far God seems to have a different plan - I think He wants me to go for a ride :D

i-g9QFvKW-X2.jpg

need to wear the little nubs off the tires so they dont look so un used

i-mxf7pLF-X2.jpg

• now that I have front tires that have a Y speed rating does that mean I can go 186MPH?

i-NFbjvT6-X2.jpg

or with my rear being a W should I continue to keep it under 168?

8o8o

• When one rides the miles that FunCycle rides you WILL get caught out in the rain from time to time. I don't generally leave the house in the rain but do have to make it back home.

If you remember at Maggie Valley last year we, myself and Ghost and ghostrider left Joey's Pancake house at 8 AM and returned to the Comfort Inn at 6 PM. We rode all day ( around 300 miles total) with only gas stops in the pouring rain. Normally at home if it is raining when I get ready to leave the SS will stay home. But I have also left home with a hurricane making landfall to go to Maggie Valley. I had to check the radar on that one to see which way we wanted to drive to Maggie. The tires were Riken Raptor ZR's and never had a problem. I also still have a full set of Kenda's already mounted that I use.

• Very true Edward Neal

I was in Discount yesterday getting new tires on one of our cars and while waiting, I chatted with one of the salesmen about wheels/tires. I'm pretty picky on the type of wheel I want and it took us 45 minutes to find the one I liked, and a bonus, it wasn't too expensive.

The tires on the other hand, and like most people, I want to go wider. Going with a 18x10 inch rim all the way around, and 315/30R18, the tires were almost twice the cost of the rims. I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, figured I would wear out the stock tires first then look at upgrading, but I have my budget in mind now that I have prices.

Which rims did you find at Discount Tire that you liked?

• https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/konig-ssm/p/13965 but I'm told that the offset isn't enough and they wouldn't be centered.

So, I'm still on the hunt.

The +15 mm offset on those would definitely shift the center of your tire/wheel to the left. This link to WillTheyFit provides a visualization of just how much the shift would be - https://www.willtheyfit.com/in…wheel_width=10&offset2=15.

What brand/model tire are you looking to mount? Running a 315/30 tire might mean a 10" wide wheel is a little narrow.

Also, are you looking for a wheel that will allow the same staggered 17" Front wheel and 18" Rear wheel the Slingshot has?

I have been running a 28 mm offset rear wheel for a little over 10,000 miles and have not experienced any handling problems I would associate with running an off-center rear tire/wheel. I also don't find the off-center look objectionable, but if you are concerned about running an off-center rear tire, ignore the rest of this post.

In my search for an affordable wider rear wheel that looked somewhat similar to the Base Slingshot wheel, I currently run a Nitto 555 G2 315/35ZR17 tire on an American Muscle 17 x 10.5 10th Anniversary Cobra Style Wheel that I feel looks similar enough to the Base Slingshot wheel that, if repainted to match the front wheels, doesn't look too far off. It's a 28 mm Offset, so it centers to the left, but I think it looks OK and haven't experienced any handling problems from the off-center setup. This link provides a visualization of how the base Slingshot rear wheel compares to the AM wheel - https://www.willtheyfit.com/in…eel_width=10-5&offset2=28. Now that the wheel is on my Slingshot, I haven't gotten around to trying to paint the wheels to match.

If you want to run matching wheels, the only problem I've seen with the American Muscle Mustang wheels is the fronts are usually at least 8 or 9" wide compared to the Slingshot's 17 x 7". Depending on the wheel style chosen, AM offers 3 wheels for as low as $3-400 if they're on sale. The 17 x 10.5 wheels are usually 28 mm Offset and the 8" wheels are usually around 30 mm Offset.

AM also offers other wheel sizes, but the widths and offsets may not match the Slingshot as well. Use http://www.willtheyfit.com to visualize how they might look. While I like the visualization WillTheyFit provides, I have found the speedometer estimate to be less accurate than Discount Tire Direct's Tire Size calculator - https://www.discounttiredirect…earn/tire-size-calculator.

I have spent a lot of hours online looking for a wider, affordable tire/wheel for my Slingshot and am always interested in other options, so please post whatever you find.

Good Luck!

I should also add that the Am 10th Anniversary Cobra Style 17 x 10.5 wheel has plenty of clearance around the brake rotor & caliper, but I don't know for sure how much clearance the other AM wheel sizes might have. I ordered the AM wheel just so I could measure it for internal diameters to compare to my Slingshot. I would assume other AM wheels designed to fit 1999-2004 Mustangs should have similar internal diameters. I initially ordered a Bullit Style 17 x 10.5 wheel from JEGS, but it barely cleared the Slingshot's brake rotor/caliper assembly, so I returned it (at my cosy, of course) and tried the AM wheel which had a lot more clearance.

• Thanks for the info, I didn't know how the offsets would affect me, but that's a nice visualization. I would like to keep my rear centered if possible.

I also plan to run the same wheel all the way around if possible.

While I like the Cobra wheels on a mustang, I just don't really want it on the SS and I'm fixated at a solid 5 or 6 spoke wheel like the Koenig.

I didn't know the default wheels offset, but the wheel on the rear of my base is a 265/35r18, per the specs (It's under cover and below freezing right now) : 2019 Slingshot specs

I'll look for a suitable wheel that is a 45mm offset or larger. It's pretty hard to find the wheel I like larger than 10.5" wide.

Looking at the AM website, they have some wheels in the 42-45mm offset, but nothing wider than the 10" that I could find, but will call them tomorrow and see if they can search on that criteria for me.

Thanks again!

• Standard Slingshot Base model wheels are 17 x 7 +42 mm Offset and 18 x 9.5 +45 mm Offset.

Unfortunately, AM is focused on Mustangs, Chargers & F-150s. In my experience, they are not wiling to step outside their comfort zone and say if a given wheel might fit a different kind of vehicle.

You may find better success going to a local wheels shop and telling them you want an 18 x 10+ wheel with 45 mm offset and matching 17 x 7-8 wheels with 42 mm offset. Remember to also check your tire manufacturer's website for the recommended wheel sizes they design their tires for.

Good Luck.