Battery advice

• True true! Are you back from being the world traveler?🙂

yes we are back - landed in LAX yesterday morning - - - considering the 16 hour time difference it was a very long day

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• like I said above I like this one that slingmods sells plug in play volt meter

looks easy to install and at $59 seems like a good choice

polaris-slingshot-digital-voltmeter-electrical-connection-main-265x265.jpg

also if it gave me a heads up to a battery that was near the end of its life before that battery actually so bad that I got stuck someplace it would more than pay for itself in saved frustration

• Everything OK at your house after all of the flash floods?

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Will be looking for a good location for perhaps one of these....

• Everything OK at your house after all of the flash floods?

we have a roof leak that we have been putting off getting fixed and it got worse, but other than that nothing terrible - figure we will wait untill all of this weather passes then see about getting it fixed

as a side note this weather we have been having is crazy, not only record setting rain, but over 90 days without hitting 80 which is also a record and there is no end in sight

• With reading all of the posts concerning the SlingShot and insufficient batteries, If I were to purchase a post 2015 SlingShot I believe that the first electrical modification I would do is install a full-sized automotive battery into it...............

(Coming upon 4 years now where the Grasshopper has yet to fail to start!)

Bill

• With reading all of the posts concerning the SlingShot and insufficient batteries, If I were to purchase a post 2015 SlingShot I believe that the first electrical modification I would do is install a full-sized automotive battery into it...............

(Coming upon 4 years now where the Grasshopper has yet to fail to start!)

Bill

There are many factors that can affect battery life. one of those is heat. Down here in the desert the extreme heat we get is very hard on batteries and I have been told many times by both dealers and auto parts stores that if you get more than 2 years out of a battery you are doing good. I replaced the battery in my 2016 in June of 2018, My sling was the dealers demo so I am not sure how the battery had been treated between test drives or even if it was the original. I will see how well the new one holds up and if I can get 2 to 3 years out of it then I see no reason to change - in the 30+ years I have lived here 3 years is the most I have gotten out of any battery I have had in any car and that was longer than the norm

as a side note I like that the battery in the Slingshot is at the back away from the heat of the engine - has to help

• Here's another option for monitoring the battery voltage. I installed a dual use gauge: 1st 30 seconds after "key-on" it shows battery voltage. After that is shows water temperature. (I also installed a momentary-off push-button to interrupt power to the gauge, so it resets to show voltage anytime I want to see it) Also like that it has the same blue & red colors as the dashboard :)

• I like but then again I do not cut of drill holes in my SS unless I have to

Here's another option for monitoring the battery voltage. I installed a dual use gauge: 1st 30 seconds after "key-on" it shows battery voltage. After that is shows water temperature. (I also installed a momentary-off push-button to interrupt power to the gauge, so it resets to show voltage anytime I want to see it) Also like that it has the same blue & red colors as the dashboard :)

• Thanks for the info. I just checked slingmods, its out of stock. requested a notification when it's restocked. Good to have!

• I have this one and I check it regularly....usually when I get in to start it up it’s reading slightly over 11 volts. Then it goes over 13...when running. And that’s with all my extra high viability safety lights on.

• Bigdog You nailed it! I took the sling around the block to warm up the motor and the angle drive to change the oil as I finally got around to it today. The second time after everything was done my check engine light went off. Thanks for the advice and heads up on that. Really appreciate it.

And to all the others the chimed in on this thread I really appreciate all your help as well I have concluded that I left something on. I had to. For the past four days now my voltage has read 12.75 to 13.2 in that area. No drain on the battery whatsoever and it stays at full charge. Happy camper!

• Hey SoCal, sharp eyes!

The "upper console" is my home-made Radio Visor, and also holds push-buttons & a large LED light. Some may recognize this as a "re-purposed" SS OEM rear license plate bracket that many of us have removed & discarded. I liked the angles in the plastic, and with some careful cutting and mounting bracket fabrication it makes a good shade-visor for the audio screen. (the dip in the center is also a handy place to hold loose change at the drive-thru ;))

The Red LED in the center Flashes with my alarm on, and the two black push-buttons are for my: voltage/water temp gauge reset, and another lighting idea I'll be adding later.

Below the starter is a small module (Type-S) with blue LEDs that oscillate back and forth (Like Knight Rider). I have a Lot of Red LED lighting in the cockpit interior, but sometimes when the mood strikes me I'll switch over to my Blue interior LEDs and this becomes active. The module is on a pivot so I can swing it down and out of the way when not in use.

Bonus comment: You can see my HURST T-Handle; I have always liked the feel of these on a manual shift. I know some other members have installed a T-Handle, but I've not seen one with the Thumb Push-button on the end. I've wired this up to my air horns, so I can honk anytime without letting go of the shift handle or the steering wheel. I think this is a good safety feature, and it's easy to do a quick beep-beep with my thumb when someone waves at the SS.

And an Extra Bonus Comment: Do you see the small Red Push-button on the Center Console, passenger side? Since I was adding the wiring for the T-Handle anyway, I decided to also add this push-button in parallel to the same horn wiring. The wife can now honk our horn whenever she wants while I concentrate on the driving. Fun for all !^^

slingshotinfo.com/wcf/index.php?attachment/92912/

• We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎