Battery advice

• SoCal - I remember a post from you a while back, where you installed a light in your glove box that would come on when you opened it. Switch could be stuck on? Just a thought :/

:SUNSETSS:

Thank you and yes I checked that out. The light is powered off of the cigarette lighter or USB PORT. It is switched and will only work when the key is on. Wish it was that easy! Thanks for the shout out though!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Just out of curiosity, after you install the positive cable to the battery, do you happen to get a spark when you connect the negative cable?

Bill

wjfyfe - sadly ..... yes I got the spark. I Am at a loss for wha it could be. No add on’s no changes to anything. The only change is the dealer changing out the coolant tank. To my knowledge that is all plumbing and not electrical . Good news is my battery is at 12.75, she started up on the first crank and I will just have to monitor it going forward. I will get the meter on it in the morning and see if there is any change.

Oh- and I I have a check engine light on now. Joy joy

I did install two battery posts for future charging and jumping if necessary. Just need to get the caps on the studs. Seemed the right thing to do since I had it all apart anyway. If I can’t find it, back to the dealership she goes. I’m good with a wrench not so much with a multimeter.

• wjfyfe - sadly ..... yes I got the spark. I Am at a loss for wha it could be. No add on’s no changes to anything. The only change is the dealer changing out the coolant tank. To my knowledge that is all plumbing and not electrical . Good news is my battery is at 12.75, she started up on the first crank and I will just have to monitor it going forward. I will get the meter on it in the morning and see if there is any change.

I did install two battery posts for future charging and jumping if necessary. Just need to get the caps on the studs. Seemed the right thing to do since I had it all apart anyway. If I can’t find it, back to the dealership she goes. I’m good with a wrench not so much with a multimeter.

Not to correct any one....But i always have a battery on my work bench in my barn, For testing stuff and its not connected to anything...And at times when i put the charging clamps on the battery posts if i'm a little sloppy doing it i will sometimes get a spark.....

That said batteries are mysterious black boxes , And sometimes they will discharge for no reason...And when they are brought back to full charge they will be just fine....

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• Not to correct any one....But i always have a battery on my work bench in my barn, For testing stuff and its not connected to anything...And at times when i put the charging clamps on the battery posts if i'm a little sloppy doing it i will sometimes get a spark.....

That said batteries are mysterious black boxes , And sometimes they will discharge for no reason...And when they are brought back to full charge they will be just fine....

I like your attitude on this! Hopefully I have appeased the battery ghost and will not hear from him again !

• With those tiny batteries the spacing betweeen the lead plates is very small...it doesn’t take much for a piece of corruption to find its way between two of them to short out.

Get a car battery....that’s what came with the original slingshots.....it’s a car motor that is twice as big as a Harley motor... they don’t have pee pee batteries in all the cars that have our motor...

• Good point Bigdog !

I had 12.73 last night and have 12.68 this morning. Can’t really say that’s much of a drain but I will be keeping on top of it. Still have to deal with the check engine light. Could that of happened by disconnecting the battery?

• 12.78 v sitting 3 days now. HAD to be something I inadvertently left on and did not notice which would be good news. Hopefully I’ll get some miles on it soon and the check engine light will disappear as well. I DON’T like a good mystery ....

• My battery died last June just sitting in line at the gas station. turned it off when I was waiting and then it wouldnt restart. I tried jumping it and it wouldnt start so Cage Free took the only trip she has ever made back to the dealer because I thought it must be something more than just the battery. I was surprised when the only thing they could find was the battery they said it had a bad cell and replaced it. Has worked perfectly ever since - with no mods to draw anything I am happy sticking with the stock smaller battery, but I did get this"

Car Battery Tester

71XMPM320dL._SL1500_.jpg

I did not like making a trip all the way to the dealer for just a battery I could have ordered on line so next time with this tester I will have the tool I need to know if the battery is actually the problem - and it also checks the starter and charging system - its small so I just keep it in the glove box

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• That is another reason for having a volt meter installed on/in your SS. For those people that have a battery problem and you want to know how to check the battery if you don't. If you have a problem you need a volt meter to check the battery voltage before you jump it off. Next after you have the car/truck/SS running check the voltage again. If the alternator is working properly you should be reading around 14.5 volts. Anyway around 2 volts more than the 12.2 volts of the normal battery. Now you just need to do like SoCal is doing and check the battery voltage each day over a few days. If you have a bad cell in the battery you can watch the battery voltage falling off most times after you take the battery charger off. I hope this helps some of you. The best bet is to get the volt meter and wire it in where you can see it all of the time when the Sling is turned on with the key. They also make volt meters that plug into the accessary plug

• That is another reason for having a volt meter installed on/in your SS. For those people that have a battery problem and you want to know how to check the battery if you don't. If you have a problem you need a volt meter to check the battery voltage before you jump it off. Next after you have the car/truck/SS running check the voltage again. If the alternator is working properly you should be reading around 14.5 volts. Anyway around 2 volts more than the 12.2 volts of the normal battery. Now you just need to do like SoCal is doing and check the battery voltage each day over a few days. If you have a bad cell in the battery you can watch the battery voltage falling off most times after you take the battery charger off. I hope this helps some of you. The best bet is to get the volt meter and wire it in where you can see it all of the time when the Sling is turned on with the key. They also make volt meters that plug into the accessary plug

The volt meter that slingmods sells is on my wish list, but I still like having the test meter - if nothing else it will save me from wasting time trying to charge a bad battery

• Talk about cheep tech - duel use and handy for the glove box!

I thought about that, but if I am going to get a voltmeter I think having one that I can see when I am riding might give me a little warning of things going south before its too late - where as if its in the glove box I will only see it when I check it which would probably be after the fact. These AGM batteries can go down very fast, but with a gauge near the steering wheel I might notice a low voltage situation before it gets so low as to not start

• I thought about that, but if I am going to get a voltmeter I think having one that I can see when I am riding might give me a little warning of things going south before its too late - where as if its in the glove box I will only see it when I check it which would probably be after the fact. These AGM batteries can go down very fast, but with a gauge near the steering wheel I might notice a low voltage situation before it gets so low as to not start

True true! Are you back from being the world traveler?🙂

• I thought about that, but if I am going to get a voltmeter I think having one that I can see when I am riding might give me a little warning of things going south before its too late - where as if its in the glove box I will only see it when I check it which would probably be after the fact. These AGM batteries can go down very fast, but with a gauge near the steering wheel I might notice a low voltage situation before it gets so low as to not start

They sell the small volt meter about 3/4 wide and maybe 1 1/2 inch long which is what I have installed on my SS on the left side of the steering wheel. At the bottom of the panel on that flat place. install with 2 sided tape and hooked up to the Aux. fuse panel that I had installed. You cannot see unless you are sitting in the seat. About $ 5.00 on Amazon