Battery advice

• went out to my sling to turn the key today and absolutely nothing. The only thing that turned on was the light behind the starter switch. Pull the battery and it sits at 5.8 V. This battery is about a year and a half old. She has only sat for about eight or nine days. Do I need to start looking for shorts or is this all we can expect out of theses batteries ? I have it on a trickle charger now but this is a sealed battery and wondering if it’s worth it or not. Any insight would be appreciated. Perplexed ...

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• went out to my sling to turn the key today and absolutely nothing. The only thing that turned on was the light behind the starter switch. Pull the battery and it sits at 5.8 V. This battery is about a year and a half old. She has only sat for about eight or nine days. Do I need to start looking for shorts or is this all we can expect out of theses batteries ? I have it on a trickle charger now but this is a sealed battery and wondering if it’s worth it or not. Any insight would be appreciated. Perplexed ...

SoCal I've had my battery totally drained put it on a trickle charger and It came back.

That said I know what drained it . With no draw mine stays up for weeks.

Hope you have the same luck. I do wonder what the drain was

• Thank you for that. Nothing is changed wiring wise and in the year and a half I’ve had it I have never turned the key without it turning over. To be at 5.8 V I was just wondering if this vehicle puts such a large demand on such a small battery they just up and die.

What do you think drained yours?

• I checked all my switches and to my knowledge nothing was left on. Clearly something drained the battery in half but as of now I’ve got a ghost ...

If I get a charge on this like DER said and it starts tomorrow I will check the alternator output as well. Going to hit the hardware store tomorrow for some studs to install some external posts in the compartment behind the driver seat as well

Just checked it and I have 12.5 V now . I may have dodged a bullet 🙂

Edited once, last by SoCal ().

• My dealer told me before I left the show room to keep a battery tender on it if you don’t drive it for a week....they already had a pigtail for one installed on it.....

My advice is.....get a real manly car battery installed (don’t waste money on a colored top new fangled way over priced new technology one that doesn’t last any longer than a lead acid one) and keep a battery tender on it.....problem solved....

• I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the @$$, but my 2015 was built in July 2014 and I took delivery in November 2014. It still has the original battery. the only time it has ever gone dead on me was when I left a switch on for the under hood leds and didn't find out until the following weekend. Jumped it and rode that weekend and ever since. It stayed in the garage without being run for almost 3 months last year and it started up just fine before Christmas. That being said, I'm probably going to replace the battery later this year before heading out to the event in the Poconos so there's no issues out there

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• What would be involved in reverting the battery tray back to what originally came out with the 2015 so one could install a full sized automotive battery?

Bill

I have not done this yet, but plan to whenever I get ready to replace my battery : https://allthingsslingshot.com…attery-box-conversion-kit

• Not the only option but one of them...

https://slingshotonly.com/pola…ngshot-large-battery-box/

Then watch this installation video...thanks Sam...

Optima Battery Tray installation on Snazzy

Just because it says it’s for an “optima” (waste of money in my opinion) battery doesn’t mean you can’t use a regular battery....

I’m looking for one in the SS parts list....don’t know if it can be purchased separately....or of its part of the frame.

• Left mine on the charger last night and I have 13.3 V now so I’m assuming I’m back! The real head scratcher is what drained it. To my knowledge everything was off and unplugged so once I reinstall tomorrow I will be checking the alternator output. Since I have this all apart I am installing battery studs in the driver side compartment for jumping heaven for bid I should need it in the future. I have $12 invested in two studs bolts and washers.

Funinthesun what happened to you makes sense. I was thinking a little over a year to a year and a half for a battery was way too fast. Glad yours came back and mine too!

• oh and this was not fun to see as well and could’ve been the culprit. When undoing the ground cable the cramped end slid right out of the wire so it had little to no contact. Could that have been the issue? I took it off and re-crimped everything in the vice after cleaning it up so I should have good contact now