$1000 for Slingshot upgrades

• OK, at $200 each these shocks are getting a wee bit closer to what I would consider to be reasonably priced, (for comparison, we just replaced the front struts on our Jetta which are much heavier and only paid around $100 each), but, I read in the description for these shocks "The height adjustment ranges to near stock at the highest setting and up to a 2.5" drop at the lowest."

Near stock? How close is "near stock?" We sure wouldn't want the Grasshopper to ride much lower than it already does, we sweat some of the high spots and debris on the road enuff as is?

Bill

• 2015 slingshot SL

• 2015 slingshot SL

OK, it it has not already been done I would at least recommend installing the muffler and exhaust manifold shields to help control under hood heating issues, as well as making sure that the secondary brake bleeding process has been completed to bring your brakes up to snuff. I would also recommend, if you still have the stock windshield, installing a vented windshield, (like a Madstad ), to provide ventilation and help control passenger compartment turbulence and noise .

Bill

• The new coilovers from SlingMods are definitely the least expensive set I've seen. Even a set of QA1's that you build yourself by selecting the springs and shocks you want are going to cost that much or very near to it. I bought Bilsteins thru a Group Buy and still paid around $800 and have been extremely happy with them. When I rode two-wheels, I rode my 2007 SV650 for many miles before I replaced the rear shock with an aftermarket unit and boy was I impressed at the difference. Same thing happened when I upgraded my shocks on the Slingshot. I thought the Slingshot handled fine before the change, but the difference was clearly noticeable. One of my favorite rides has an at-grade RR crossing which is also situated several feet above the regular road surface and before changing the shocks I would routinely go airborne over the tracks, but with the new shocks the Slingshot stays nicely planted.

If I didn't already have the Bilsteins, I'd certainly consider the new SlingMods units since any aftermarket coilovers are going to be a significant improvement.

With $1000 to spend on mods, the Tru-Hart coilovers at $618 would still allow you to get the Injen CAI and the DDMWorks Short Shifter. Before I installed my Hahn Turbo kit, I had the Hahn CAI which, like the newer Injen CAI is designed to seal against the hood, but there are other, less expensive CAI choices available. If you're a little handy, this link to the Dark Side has directions to build your own CAI for a little over $100 - https://www.slingshotforums.co…-intake.5326/#post-110718.

I'd also recommend a Fumoto Oil Drain valve which makes oil changes a real breeze. I currently have the Fumoto F107N valve (http://www.fumotousa.com/parts…tname=F107N&partnumber=34) which also needs an extension to clear the inset on the oil pan, but I'm considering getting the newer F107SXhttp://www.fumotousa.com/parts.php?partname=F107SX&partnumber=107 (http://www.fumotousa.com/parts…ame=F107SX&partnumber=107) which can be better adjusted for proper orientation/operation and may not need the extension. The only negative comment I can think of about the Fumoto oil drain valves is the reduced drain hole compared to completely removing the oil pan plug, but since newer oils tend to be freer running than older, thicker oils, this shouldn't be as much of a factor.

• Going back and taking another look at the description of these shocks it also states " Spring rates and valving designed to provide a more aggressive than factory ride for spirited driving", may I assume this to mean that these shocks would probably ride a bit stiffer than the original shocks?

Bill

• What's all that about?

No Jared, I'm not selling but I have kept a lot of the stock parts for the day when I do. I'll sell off the expensive stuff and at least get a little back and sell the Sling as stock. It would be nice to see something back from $1000 seats, $1000 shocks. etc. I bought at 0% money and I like it in my garage. Besides, I've got $650 worth of parts sitting in the House of Paint to install when the weather breaks. DDM black Friday buys!

:HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SILVERSS:My paint is fast, TURBO Silver!

• If I recall correctly, somebody dynoed a stock SS at 153whp. A Mefi Burn ecu tune is around 20hp, an exhaust, header and CAI get about another 20hp, but those are engine numbers not wheel hp. I would guess 180-185whp will be the best you can get at the wheel, in optimum conditions.

• I can get you guys some accurate numbers and dyno sheets in the next 4-6 weeks as long as mother nature cooperates. I have a guy coming up to get our CAI, exhaust package, and tune installed on his NA SS. We are just waiting for it to warm up a little here and for some of the snow to disappear. But we will do a base line pull, add parts, do another pull, add tune, and do the final pulls and I can post all of that info here on the forums for you.

Just to give you some semi comparable numbers, obviously the SS is different, but typically, on a 2.4l Cobalt with a manual trans, all the bolt ons, cams, and valve springs, tuned on 93 octane, we typically see about 173whp on our Mustang dyno.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke