Excessive Steering Torque pull?

• I think I have this issue as well, but I believe mine is due to what Kyle D mentioned... I believe one of my control arms has an issue since mine hydroplane accident. Also causing the squiggly lines warning light to come on. Just haven't taken to dealer yet... I know!

My steering wheel is also off center and an alignment wouldn't hurt...😂

Yes! you do need an aligh

• Swing arm bearings or the axle bearings. I am betting one or the other is the problem. What you are saying now is starting to make sense.

if the swingarm bearings are moving! Huh:/

While I cannot speak to the swing arm bearings, if they are even remotely installed like the axle bearings, those things aren't moving around. One of the drivers had an accident with my SS which resulted in a broken rear wheel, a bent axle, and hub so I replaced everything between the hub and the axle nuts. The amount of work it took to get the bearings out was ridiculous and getting them back in was just as bad. They were literally pounded back in with a 5lb hand sledge and another tool we made to protect the bearing so it was not destroyed replacing it. While it was only the hub and axle that were visibly bent, and a broken wheel, I replaced everything to be safe. Even with the bearings taking that hard of a hit, they were still in tact and appeared to function normally. I'm fairly certain they were fine but that's not something I'm willing to roll the dice on going 140+. I would be hard pressed to believe that any of those bearings in that whole rear assembly would just go bad and start moving around in there, especially in roughly 4500mi, with out some sort of catastrophic trauma.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• While I cannot speak to the swing arm bearings, if they are even remotely installed like the axle bearings, those things aren't moving around. One of the drivers had an accident with my SS which resulted in a broken rear wheel, a bent axle, and hub so I replaced everything between the hub and the axle nuts. The amount of work it took to get the bearings out was ridiculous and getting them back in was just as bad. They were literally pounded back in with a 5lb hand sledge and another tool we made to protect the bearing so it was not destroyed replacing it. While it was only the hub and axle that were visibly bent, and a broken wheel, I replaced everything to be safe. Even with the bearings taking that hard of a hit, they were still in tact and appeared to function normally. I'm fairly certain they were fine but that's not something I'm willing to roll the dice on going 140+. I would be hard pressed to believe that any of those bearings in that whole rear assembly would just go bad and start moving around in there, especially in roughly 4500mi, with out some sort of catastrophic trauma.

You have not seen one come apart then, with the axle or the swing just swinging with all of the play.

• This weekend I’m going to jack it up on stands, and take a look around to see if there is any free play that shouldn’t be there? Also gonna get someone to ride behind me as I go thru the gears to see if anything noticeable stands out!

Will keep y’all updated.

Day’s are long, and year’s are short. Enjoy the long days:)

• Help me out here people. I am having an old timer's moment. What is the thing on the steering that sets off the sque control light and sets off the brakes and the throttle to keep you from getting sideways with the SS. Anyway just a thought if it were not set correctly or centered, would or could it do this? If you were to get the Lazer alignment at your dealership, I am thinking that they would find the problem for this problem if it were a mechincal. On my last alignment they even found that there was too much play on the upper A arm on the pass. side on my SS.

• While I cannot speak to the swing arm bearings, if they are even remotely installed like the axle bearings, those things aren't moving around. One of the drivers had an accident with my SS which resulted in a broken rear wheel, a bent axle, and hub so I replaced everything between the hub and the axle nuts. The amount of work it took to get the bearings out was ridiculous and getting them back in was just as bad. They were literally pounded back in with a 5lb hand sledge and another tool we made to protect the bearing so it was not destroyed replacing it. While it was only the hub and axle that were visibly bent, and a broken wheel, I replaced everything to be safe. Even with the bearings taking that hard of a hit, they were still in tact and appeared to function normally. I'm fairly certain they were fine but that's not something I'm willing to roll the dice on going 140+. I would be hard pressed to believe that any of those bearings in that whole rear assembly would just go bad and start moving around in there, especially in roughly 4500mi, with out some sort of catastrophic trauma.

Early on with the 2015's some of the axle bearings (pulley side) were failing with only 4,000 to 6,000 miles on the Slings. I actually started pulling the axle on mine at 6,000 miles and greasing the bearings about every 6,000 miles so my axle bearings lasted me until the swing arm recall. I have not even checked or greased since the recall and now have 76,000 miles on the Sling. When we pulled my buddies at the recall the bearings were in pieces, just happened to catch it at the right time before he had a failure on the highway. To make thinking of this real easy just think of a front wheel on your bicycle with just one bearing on one side.

• Update info. I took her out for a longer ride today trying to figure exactly when she’s pulling! I first noticed that when I was ripping thru the gears it was pulling when I pressed the clutch in. This led me to think Torque pull, however, ZZ performance had me questioning that! Today I noticed that it is chasing the grooves in the road not only when I let off the gas to change gears, but if I hit a bump in the road the steering wonders side to side? For the first time I also notice the steering wheel is not quite centered. So I’m thinking might be alignment issue? Now does it have to be a Polaris Dealer to do a laser alignment? Can Goodyear, Firestone do it? If dealer only anyone know of good place along the east coast of S.C, Ga, or Fla? I’m outside Savannah so prefer Jacksonville Fl, or Charleston SC! Closest dealer near me now are in those areas! Might go to Daytona bike week, so if any really good dealers in that area might work? Cost of lazer alignment? Gonna get tire mode reset at same time.

• Help me out here people. I am having an old timer's moment. What is the thing on the steering that sets off the sque control light and sets off the brakes and the throttle to keep you from getting sideways with the SS. Anyway just a thought if it were not set correctly or centered, would or could it do this? If you were to get the Lazer alignment at your dealership, I am thinking that they would find the problem for this problem if it were a mechincal. On my last alignment they even found that there was too much play on the upper A arm on the pass. side on my SS.

FunCycle

Me thinks you may be talking about the steering centering sensor.

If steering wheel is off-center while driving straight down the road and your squiggly lines are illuminated, you need a dealer.

In a nut shell, the steering sensor is detecting the steering gearbox has entered a turn but other sensors are reporting straight travel.

After the dealer centers the steering, he will have to hook up the Digital Wrench computer to set the steering sensor to zero.

Does that get you back in the ballpark?

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

Edited once, last by airoutlaw ().

• That is what I was thinking about, I just could not think of the right words to type

• Melloreel "laser alignment" don't think that it has to be a Polaris dealer but necessary that they have specs and knowledge. I do know that several of the individual Slingshot owners have setups to do the alignments. Just a matter of finding someone near you.

Polaris sent the Laser kits to all of the dealers whether they wanted them or not and charged them for it so I was told. I know my dealer did not even know what it was until I told them.

• No lights on! Haven’t had any issue with any warning lights!

• Melloreel "laser alignment" don't think that it has to be a Polaris dealer but necessary that they have specs and knowledge. I do know that several of the individual Slingshot owners have setups to do the alignments. Just a matter of finding someone near you.

One of the dealers I spoke to said he could align it, but they just do it with the rods! Like a Golfcart. I think I would rather have her laser aligned.

• Polaris sent the Laser kits to all of the dealers whether they wanted them or not and charged them for it so I was told. I know my dealer did not even know what it was until I told them.

Haven’t found a dealer yet, at least within a driving distance that has laser?.