Excessive Steering Torque pull?

• Ok guys. Another issue! I have the 2016 base, with all the SL upgrades. I installed the 1320 exhaust/header V2 combo, and just recently the 1320 CAI. Now. I just recently installed the OEM SLR premium wheel (18 front 20 back ) kit. When I stretch out the gears it pulls left real hard during shifting action, especially between 3rd and 4th? I don’t remember it doing that with the base wheel setup, but then again I didn’t really get into mashing the gas that much either! The tires are new, and I’m running 28 front, 32 rear psi like manual calls for. So is torque steer normal? It wants to pull out of my hand, and makes the wifey really nervous=O

Oh. Much like my Harley’s, the engine upgrades really woke up the motor! Best mods yet.

Thanks for any input.

Day’s are long, and year’s are short. Enjoy the long days:)

• Yep, not sure what to call it, but my boat would do the same thing! Rotation of the motor would pull the steering wheel sideways if I stomped it. When I shift around 4000-4500 it pulls hard left?

• when I switched to 18 x 9.5 all around I noticed the front end tended to track with the crown in the road as well as track to imperfections in the road. However is a flat parking lot and on the track it was fine. Not sure is this is applicable to your situation but figured any info is good info.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I did change the shock bracket, as it came with the kit! However, I haven’t done the update as it’s 2 1/2 hours to dealer now. Thought I would wait till bike week! Think the ECU might have some effect on the steering? I know Polaris said it must be updated for wheel package!

• I figured I would post this to see if it was a common problem, like all the other issues I’ve had! Hopefully not, and maybe the update will correct the pull? Not sure how though:/

• In boats (and airplanes) and in cars that aren't setup properly (or with massive amounts of torque), it's called the torque effect, Newton's third law of motion, every action has an opposite reaction. The boat and airplane have their propellors that are causing it to pull in the opposite direction that the propellor is turning.

With the torque of our rear wheel on the SS, I don't see how it could happen, the tire, even spinning, isn't going to cause it to pull sideways.

Is it possible the tires are out of alignment or balance? I could see how that would affect it pulling.

Unless the ECU is doing something with the power steering, but I don't see that happening really.

• The only time I have had anything close to what you are talking about, was with the back tire was spinning and the SS was getting sideways. 76,000 miles and a lot of it wide open, I even have a little air time in there also

That is because you always have the nose of your sling firmly planted into the back of the sling in front of you. Until you pass them that is

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Unless the ECU is doing something with the power steering, but I don't see that happening really.

The update for the optional wheel package changes the speedometer reading as well as stability and traction control settings ...

Haven't heard of anyone noticing this same condition when waiting to have it done but as you mentioned it may be presenting a condition that was already there but not noticeable with the smaller wheels .....

Or with new tires and cool temps he's just spinning the rear and without the update the TC isn't kicking in .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Just came back from 40 mile ride! Not spinning the rear tire at all. Did notice that it “sways” with normal driving especially above 50 or so! It feels like it’s floating on the tires as if they are too soft. I think it’s just more noticeable when I get into the gears a bit.

It’s not a shake, or pull I can tell like a bad tire, or out of alignment like my truck would be? I’m thinking maybe it needs the laser alignment, but not sure where I could even find that around here?

• Just came back from 40 mile ride! Not spinning the rear tire at all. Did notice that it “sways” with normal driving especially above 50 or so! It feels like it’s floating on the tires as if they are too soft. I think it’s just more noticeable when I get into the gears a bit.

It’s not a shake, or pull I can tell like a bad tire, or out of alignment like my truck would be? I’m thinking maybe it needs the laser alignment, but not sure where I could even find that around here?

Swing arm bearings or the axle bearings. I am betting one or the other is the problem. What you are saying now is starting to make sense.

• Torque steer is an issue for front wheel drive vehicles. It's improperly dispersed power to the drive wheels. A SS would not get that being that it is rear wheel drive and there is only one drive wheel. I would look at front end suspension components. I would start with the sway bar end links and control arm bushings. I would also get an alignment. The SL front wheels are only .5" wider than the base and you go from a 205/50/17 to a 225/45/18 tire which is only .7"wider. It's not really much of a change and shouldn't be wide enough to where you would get the tires hunting around in the crowns on the road.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Melloreel Did you buy this Slingshot new or used? How many miles on the unit?

I bought it used, but like new condition ( one owner around 68 years old ) It had 3400 miles, I’m at 4500 or so now! it’s had all the recalls on swing arm etc.... done. Can’t find any play in the parts, but it does seem to have excessive “float”. Really noticeable after tire change? I don’t have another SS to compare it with, so not sure how much is normal?

Thanks.

• Swing arm bearings or the axle bearings. I am betting one or the other is the problem. What you are saying now is starting to make sense.

It would explain some of the oversteer I feel when mashing on the gas, and quick shifting if the swingarm bearings are moving! Huh:/

• I think I have this issue as well, but I believe mine is due to what Kyle D mentioned... I believe one of my control arms has an issue since mine hydroplane accident. Also causing the squiggly lines warning light to come on. Just haven't taken to dealer yet... I know!

My steering wheel is also off center and an alignment wouldn't hurt...😂