Changing a Sparco Shift knob

• Thinking about changing out the Sparco shift knob on my SLR - the rough milled edges cut into my gloves when riding.

I searched the threads, but didn't find much on this. I know many shift knobs have an allen screw that locks them in place, but my Sparco knob doesn't seem to have anything like this - never the less that thing is on very solidly. How do I get it loose?

I'm thinking its probably just threaded on with some lock-tite, but don't want to mess anything up doing things the wrong way. Any help would be appreciated.

Doc

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Have you looked under the shift boot to see if there is an allen screw there? The normal shift knob attached with an allen screw on the front of the shift knob that holds it to an adapter that then attaches to the transmission with an allen screw under the shift boot. the threaded adapters you can buy replace this adapter and I suspect that your Sparco knob may attach directly using the allen screw under the shift boot.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I looked at the parts list on the polaris site. your Sparco knob does attach to the transmission under the shift boot with an allen screw. If you remove this screw and pull the assembly off it will all come off including the boot - the knob itself looks to threaded onto the adapter instead of using a set screw like the stock knob - here is the parts diagram - as you can see the adapter part 12 connects the knob part 11 to the transmission. if you want to keep the stock boot you will need to remove the knob from the adapter to get the boot off. Personally I would just take off the knob, adapter and boot as one peice and replace the boot with one of the nice boots that Slingmods sells and get a threaded adapter so that you can use any threaded shift knob - - this is what I did

i-HkmQ238.jpg

• Edward has it right. I fished around a while before I found the allen screw. Don't recall now whether I pulled the boot up, or pushed it down hard. One or the other, and you'll fine the Allen. I didn't like the Sparco either.........

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• Edwardaneal,

That diagram is mighty helpful. I will look further into this.

Still want to replace the Sparco knob, but it looks like more of a job than I thought...

if you dont want to do it yourself you could probably get all done for you at one of the shows. I am pretty sure if you purchase the adapter and knob from one of the vendors they would be happy to do the install

• Edwardaneal,

That diagram is mighty helpful. I will look further into this.

Still want to replace the Sparco knob, but it looks like more of a job than I thought...

It's easy to do, assuming the boot is the same as the base model. It's just rubber and you start pulling at the edges to have it come out. Once it's loose, you can look under and it should be a 5mm allen screw.

Hopefully DDM won't mind linking their instructions about this from their short shifter, has good pics.

• dangerdarrell That sounds brilliant. I'm going to order the shift knob I want, should get it in a few days. Do I need other parts?

As for stopping over, Fridays are usually good for me.

Doc

Shouldn’t need anything else unless yours requires an adapter. This Friday probably wouldn’t be good since our high is supposed to be 35 but the next Friday or the weekend (15-17) should work out well. Slingrazor may be here that Saturday so we can cut my hood and add the new R-Shot screens. we could just make it a wrench day!

• dangerdarrell That sounds brilliant. I'm going to order the shift knob I want, should get it in a few days. Do I need other parts?

As for stopping over, Fridays are usually good for me.

Doc

you will need an adapter. most knobs are threaded either 10mm x 1.25 or 10mm x 1.5 - - - look at the specs for the knob you order and see what it is and then order the proper adapter, slingmods.com has several options in both sizes.

if you want you can also add a marine vinyl shift boot from slingmods that will make the whole thing look nicer.

• Shouldn’t need anything else unless yours requires an adapter. This Friday probably wouldn’t be good since our high is supposed to be 35 but the next Friday or the weekend (15-17) should work out well. Slingrazor may be here that Saturday so we can cut my hood and add the new R-Shot screens. we could just make it a wrench day!

wish I was close enough to come by for the day :)

• this is the NRG adapter with a cheep knob from Amazon along with the vinyl boot

i-DK3nQF3-XL.jpg

same setup with a hurst T shifter

i-cwhcqMV-XL.jpg

the nice thing about using a threaded adapter like the NRG is that the options for different shift knobs are almost unlimited

this is the same NRG adapter with a 1320 stainless tear drop knob

i-jvGbnSf-XL.jpg

As might be able to tell I like changing my shift knob :thumbsup:

• Putting this on my calendar for the weekend of the 16th. Love to come for a Saturday wrench day!

Knob I'm ordering says it comes with adapters - so I hope I'm good there.

PM me with an address and Ruby & I will be there!

If you post up a link to the knob you are ordering people who are more familiar with the Sparco setup might be able to tell you if you will need anything else. If you do then you will have time to order what is needed so that you have everything you need ready for your wrench day