2019 Base seat and plastics cleaning

• I searched for about an hour on the forums looking for someone who has mentioned this.

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I took my SS down my road while it was getting repaved and had some mud clods thrown all over it. The paint with it's clear coat cleaned right up. Nothing else has.

My seats are stained and no amount of scrubbing or hitting it with a power washer is taking it out. Also, the black trim on the hood seems to be stained and again, power washer isn't getting it all.

For the trim, I think a soft brush may work, but I don't want to marr any plastic by doing something rash.

I have no idea on the seats, I've tried 3 times now to scrub and power wash.

• I've not had this problem, but I might try asking at the dealer or your local auto parts store.

I'm thinking dealers have to make things spic-n-span when they take in a used vehicle, and a knowledgeable auto-parts employee might have a good idea and let you spot test a product right there.

Hope you get the spots out - be sure to post when you find a work around!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Lucas Trim and Interior, it is not greasy and collect dust like some others. Meguiar's has two or three different types of tire and trim. I think it is the Back to Black that is greasy/oily if you get it on the paint. Also I have been using the F-11 on the black, it is good also and it will not streak up the paint when used, I also use it on my 2015 seats. All of the black on the SS will dull out over time so you will have to use something on it.

• I ride in the snow.....And for the last few weeks the temps were under 15*....One or two days below zero....And my Sling is coved in white salt and road dirt' mud. The seats were also coved in that slop , Today the temps went to 60* So i used what i always used on all my bikes and trikes ....Armor-all - Leather- Wipes....''On the seats and all the black plastic'' ...No water is needed..... For the Paint Honda spray cleaner -Wax...Again no water...The black looks like new as does the Paint....

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• Everyone has their opinion and all claim to be happy with their pick. Since I don't know what will work, it's prudent to go with something affordable to test it out, if it does, great, saved some $$ for mods. If not, I'll buy the next one up and test it.

I don't know what will work yet.

Ordered the Armor-All Leather wipes and Lucas Slick Mist to start with. The Lucas is a 3 pack with the exterior, interior and tire

• Everyone has their opinion and all claim to be happy with their pick. Since I don't know what will work, it's prudent to go with something affordable to test it out, if it does, great, saved some $$ for mods. If not, I'll buy the next one up and test it.

Ordered the Armor-All Leather wipes and Lucas Slick Mist to start with. The Lucas is a 3 pack with the exterior, interior and tire

dont know if it will work to remove the "mud clods" you are dealing with, but even if it doesnt I suspect you will love the lucas products - I use and love all three

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Of course, the mud clods are gone, it just seems like things are stained and it's tweaking my OCD.

While I'm not overly crazy on keeping it clean, but when I do wash it, I expect the end result to be as good as the effort I put into it :)

Thanks, it was your recommendation in the other big cleaning thread from a year ago that made me look into lucas and I liked the reviews.

I know a lot of people rave about F11, I'm willing to try the affordable options first.

• No wokka, go ahead and get what you know will work.

Everyone has their opinion and all claim to be happy with their pick. Since I don't know what will work, it's prudent to go with something affordable to test it out, if it does, great, saved some $$ for mods. If not, I'll buy the next one up and test it.

Also if your under hood is black like mine and you have the dirt spots. I cover the engine and everything with a tarp and spray the black with the Lucas interior and trim and let drip dry. Afterwards it looks like you just washed it and with no spots. I do this about once a year or at the beginning of the summer. Works a lot better than trying to wash it. It does work great because on my little off road a couple of years ago, I was trying to get rid of all of the Georgia red clay.

• wokka, got a solution yet?

You said the road was getting replaced, but then you said "mud clods." Assume you didn't mean "asphalt particles."

One thing you might try, especially on the textured plastics, is 91% rubbing alcohol. The tiny texture in the plastice will hold dirt and give the off-black color. A q-tip and 91% alcohol worked for me.

• With our 2015 I have tried other products now and again on the black plastic where I have always returned to Lemon Pledge, or cheaper Favor, to keep it looking like new. I understand about cleaning the seats where I slopped some plexiglass cleaner on the drivers seats quite a while back and you can still see the stain today..............................

Bill

• wokka, got a solution yet?

You said the road was getting replaced, but then you said "mud clods." Assume you didn't mean "asphalt particles."

One thing you might try, especially on the textured plastics, is 91% rubbing alcohol. The tiny texture in the plastice will hold dirt and give the off-black color. A q-tip and 91% alcohol worked for me.

Yeah, they stripped it down to the base, so when I road, it was just gravel/mud and water after the rains, so it was mud clods.

I took some advice from others and cleaned with Lucas Oil interior detailer and Armor All leather wipes. I did that late at night on one of the seats and stored it under the car cover and left for a week. I haven't had a chance to unwrap and pull it into the shop, it was raining all day today, but I'm hoping all of my scrubbing paid off.

On another note, I did talk with a ceramics pro today, and he sells a package that you ceramic coat your paint, all plastics, and even the interior to seal against color fade, scratches and stains. He details the vehicle first and then coats it and warranties the work for 7 years. I'm seriously considering it, especially to protect the paints and prevent future staining. However, I'm going to do my best to never get it near mud again :)

Thanks for the ideas, will try that if the other products didn't deliver.

• Going to keep her parked in a warm garage with a pillow and blanket?