What Manual Transmission Fluid are you Using

• Folks: I have just about read every thread, etc on Manual Transmission Lubricants, etc for the SS on this forum. I cannot find the AC Delco Man. Trans. Fluid 75W-90, GL-3 (10-4030) anywhere to be purchased. Not only that, but I cannot find any GL-3 manual transmission fluid other than Polaris. Has everyone gone to Polaris trans. fluid now when they change their transmission fluid or is there another GL-3 product I am missing somewhere?

I did see the SynPower TDL that states GL4-5 on the bottle but it also states it can be used for GL3 in the description. However, I am not convinced. Again, what are you using now?

• Folks: I have just about read every thread, etc on Manual Transmission Lubricants, etc for the SS on this forum. I cannot find the AC Delco Man. Trans. Fluid 75W-90, GL-3 (10-4030) anywhere to be purchased. Not only that, but I cannot find any GL-3 manual transmission fluid other than Polaris. Has everyone gone to Polaris trans. fluid now when they change their transmission fluid or is there another GL-3 product I am missing somewhere?

I did see the SynPower TDL that states GL4-5 on the bottle but it also states it can be used for GL3 in the description. However, I am not convinced. Again, what are you using now?

Royal Purple for the Trans. and the Angle Drive since almost day one Feb. 12, 2015 and 76,000 miles and counting.

• I've used Mobil 1 products, still using their oil for the engine. I've tried Mobil 1, then Royal Purple for the Angle Drive. Last change I went to Redline, as I ran it in many muscle car manual transmissions and rear ends years before. Theirs works great in the transmission, I have no issues with it (it replaced the original fluid and has been the only change for it). However, the Angle Drive it made it quieter, and stayed that way to a much higher temperature outside than any of the other's I'd tried before it. I went with the heavy duty shock proof, which is synthetic and (if I recall correctly) 85W240. I have 10,000 miles on this Angle Drive change (36,500 total miles on it so far), and it's quieter than it's ever been. I won't use anything else now. Most people seem to run either Mobil 1 or Royal Purple, and I've used both of them. My Angle Drive is happier with the Redline, just my experience.

I don't think the transmission is that particular about the oil used. It pretty well seems happy with anything that meets the recommendation from those I've talked to.

:SUPERCHARGERSS::REDSS::HEADERSS::FILTERSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

Edited once, last by Goats_Hogs: Spelling and fat fingers on the keys! ().

• Goats_Hogs: Just to be clear, I saw this on Red Line website and wanted to be clear this is what you are using in the angle drive:

Redline Gear Oil

Heavy Shockproof, Full Synthetic

75W250

I read about the Red Line MT90 (75W90) GL-4 Gear Oil and it stated it can be used for GL-3 also; so I ordered 3 Qts of it to use in the transmission.

Thanks for the Info.

• Goats_Hogs: Just to be clear, I saw this on Red Line website and wanted to be clear this is what you are using in the angle drive:

Redline Gear Oil

Heavy Shockproof, Full Synthetic

75W250

I read about the Red Line MT90 (75W90) GL-4 Gear Oil and it stated it can be used for GL-3 also; so I ordered 3 Qts of it to use in the transmission.

Thanks for the Info.

That is the stuff. Polaris mentions in some of the repair manuals (perhaps was even in the manual that comes with it) that the gear oil is 75W90, but was later admitted that the Polaris gear lube was actually 75W140. I know the 75W250 is heavier on the upper side, but still should be as safe for the lower temperatures. I don't ride much past the mid to upper 30's, so it wouldn't affect me anyway. However, after running 100 or so miles and bringing the Slingshot in for a gear oil change on a hot day, I found both the Mobil 1 and the Royal Purple to be about as thick as water. Going to a heavier (on the top side for heat) lube is an old trick used by hot rodders and Harley riders alike. As long as the lower number doesn't exceed the lowest temperature you plan to ride (75W is good for below zero, which I'll never approach) there won't be a problem. This is especially true on Synthetic oils, as they aren't as affected by temperature as conventional oils.

Do what you want, as I've said many times, it's up to the owner. I know for my SS, the Redline heavy shockproof full synthetic 75W250 is all it will get in the Angle Drive. I'm not the only one that is using this, I know personally of 5 others that are local to me that are using the same with the same results I had. There are many on this forum that are using it also. I attached a picture that I had on my phone from last spring, of the actual stuff I used on my service from last spring. Someone had asked about it back then, and I just looked it up on my phone.

PS, Good lord, how did I get sucked into yet another oil thread? :00008356:

• With our 2015, upon others recommendations, early on I replaced the lubricant in the tranny with Royal Purple where it appears to be working OK. Over time we have installed Royal Purple, and currently Lucas 75W-140, fluids in our angle drive. At each time we changed the fluid we thought we recognized an improvement, but in hindsight now I believe that it was just all wishful thinking. With this experience I would advise to just make sure that any fluid change in the tranny will not harm the soft metals, and using any synthetic 75W-140 lubricant in the angle drive, should provide you with good service.

Bill

• Goats_Hogs

I know for my SS, the Redline heavy shockproof full synthetic 75W250 is all it will get in the Angle Drive

After reading these threads it all makes sense however I am a novice at this. With the hot summer temperatures I get here it sounds like this would be perfect for me - do you agree? I have 16,000 miles and have never changed my gear oil. Sounds like this should be on my list ASAP

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

Edited once, last by SoCal ().

• Goats_Hogs

I know for my SS, the Redline heavy shockproof full synthetic 75W250 is all it will get in the Angle Drive

After reading these threads it all makes sense however I am a novice at this. With the hot summer temperatures I get here it sounds like this would be perfect for me - do you agree? I have 16,000 miles and have never changed my gear oil. Sounds like this should be on my list ASAP

I agree fully. My temps don't get to where yours do, but it does get hot here at times in the summer. I've ridden my SS at temps from low 30's to 105, and it has worked well for me. For my SS, I wasn't worried about the transmission as it is recommended for service at 50K, and it is used in other vehicles. I did change it at 25K, but I've always been anal about maintaining my vehicles. The angle drive was designed for the SS, and personally I'm sure it could have been done better. Some have cracked the housings, some have had bearings or gears fail. I'm not saying that it couldn't have happened, or that they weren't abused. However, I've heard of many failing, and many others that got replaced by Polaris because they were failing (before actual leaving the person stranded). It does seem to me from the newer ones I've been around that they may have improved them since the first couple years models. Like you, I have a 2016.5, and mine was pretty loud at times. While it's still not quiet, it has reduced the noise by at least 70% compared to new. I'd attribute Redline to at least 1/2 of that. Having the 250 on the high side, helps with the higher temps. Most of my riding is at 60 degrees and above, with likely 85% of it being closer to 80 to over 100.

Make it easy on yourself and get this tool. It's cheap, and can be picked up at most Autozones and such. I got my Redline and the tool off Amazon. Link is to show tool.... :)

https://www.amazon.com/Plews-5…4&keywords=gear+lube+pump

• MillerTime: to answer your question : yes, I used Polaris Transmission fluid in my 16.5. Its synthetic, GL-3, costs about $12 qt at your dealer.

No idea who makes it for Polaris. I would not hesitate to use the same when my '18 needs it. I do mine early, the same as I do the Angle Drive.

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• I agree fully. My temps don't get to where yours do, but it does get hot here at times in the summer. I've ridden my SS at temps from low 30's to 105, and it has worked well for me. For my SS, I wasn't worried about the transmission as it is recommended for service at 50K, and it is used in other vehicles. I did change it at 25K, but I've always been anal about maintaining my vehicles. The angle drive was designed for the SS, and personally I'm sure it could have been done better. Some have cracked the housings, some have had bearings or gears fail. I'm not saying that it couldn't have happened, or that they weren't abused. However, I've heard of many failing, and many others that got replaced by Polaris because they were failing (before actual leaving the person stranded). It does seem to me from the newer ones I've been around that they may have improved them since the first couple years models. Like you, I have a 2016.5, and mine was pretty loud at times. While it's still not quiet, it has reduced the noise by at least 70% compared to new. I'd attribute Redline to at least 1/2 of that. Having the 250 on the high side, helps with the higher temps. Most of my riding is at 60 degrees and above, with likely 85% of it being closer to 80 to over 100.

Make it easy on yourself and get this tool. It's cheap, and can be picked up at most Autozones and such. I got my Redline and the tool off Amazon. Link is to show tool.... :)

https://www.amazon.com/Plews-5…4&keywords=gear+lube+pump

Goats_Hogs - as always thank you for the detailed reply! I have the pump as I use this on the lower legs of my outboard motors - it does a great job! Appreciated. I am a "crazy on the fluids" guy too so I will look up the procedure on the drive fluid change out and get this done. A lot of rain here this week so perhaps this is the time..

Again - really appreciated!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Goats_Hogs - as always thank you for the detailed reply! I have the pump as I use this on the lower legs of my outboard motors - it does a great job! Appreciated. I am a "crazy on the fluids" guy too so I will look up the procedure on the drive fluid change out and get this done. A lot of rain here this week so perhaps this is the time..

PSA:

ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS loosen the top fill plug first. There is nothing more disheartening than to strip the fill plug after you've drained the fluid.

• I just picked up a new 2019 Slingshot SL with manual transmission last Friday. As far as any lube products needed for my new ride, when It hits 500 miles i plan on changing all my fluids. Products-If Amsoil makes it it goes in my slingshot.

• I just picked up a new 2019 Slingshot SL with manual transmission last Friday. As far as any lube products needed for my new ride, when It hits 500 miles i plan on changing all my fluids. Products-If Amsoil makes it it goes in my slingshot. If you don't know any dealers, just go to Amsoil.com to sign up. If you do please use my dealer number 1986010. Email me at dhandwh@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 'World of Slingshot Insanity' --- lots of smiles per mile.