Tool Selection

• Due to the limited storage in the SS, what would be the best tools too take with you when heading out for a weekend ride. I thought I would put together a tool kit this winter, so I will be prepared when heading out to some of the Slingshot events this year.

:SUNSETSS:

• I figure the most likely thing to go down that is something I could deal with would be the battery. As such I have a folding set of Torx wrenches to get to the battery, a DBPower lithium jump starter, and I recently got an automotive battery tester that I also now carry. In addition to these I also carry a leather man multi tool a tire pressure gauge - and probably the most important thing is my AAA membership card that has the motorcycle/rv rider

I thought about carrying a compressor and tire patch kit, but to be honest I have never had much luck trying to plug tires so I am still not sure if I want to bother

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I originally posted this on TDS back in 2017 -

I've been intending to compile a list of tools to identify what I actually need in my kit, but I've been too lazy to actually write stuff down. I posted some stuff on one of the forums, so I'll see if I can find it. Otherwise, I'll try to start compiling a list. I was actually disappointed with the Polaris Slingshot Service Manual as I expected Polaris to actually identify which tools were needed for each maintenance item. I caught a lot of grief from folks who thought that was a dumb idea.

I started a thread on Slingshotforums.com and asked folks to post any tools they could link to specific tasks/parts. I only had 1 response (13mm for rear swing arm, but I'm not sure what tool the responder was referring to). Naturally, people posted a Hammer and Duct Tape!

Here's what I posted back in May 2016 -

My biggest disappointment with the so-called Polaris Service manual for the Slingshot is the lack of either a comprehensive list of tools needed when working on the Slingshot or a job-specific list of tools required for a specific job.

After having removed and reinstalled my painted body panels, I thought I would start a tools list which will hopefully grow into a comprehensive list of tools needed when working on the Slingshot. Feel free to add any tools or uses you can think of to grow the list. If you add a tool that is needed for a specific aftermarket product, please identify the product to make it easier for folks to determine if they need it in their toolkit.

It shouldn't take too long to grow this into a comprehensive list.

Here goes:

ToolUses

Torx Bits -

T40 - Most body panel screws

T30 - ?Can't remember at the moment?

T25 - Smaller body pieces, underhood Hi-Low screws for inserts, colored trim pieces underneath mirrors, storage compartment screws underneath the roll hoops

T20 - Polaris speaker modules

Hex Bits -

4mm - Outer Headlights

Sockets -

10mm - Lower wing bolts

13mm - Side mirror adjustment

16mm - Roll Hoop bolts

1-5/8" or

41mm - Original Rear Axle Nut

1-3/4" - New Double Axle Nuts

Misc.

Body Panel Pliers - Plastic rivets

Extra plastic rivets and metal fasteners. (Remember to always start fasteners by hand as they break easily if cross-threaded.)

UPDATE (07.28.17) - I attached a PDF (below) showing the tools I already had in my Slingshot toolbox. Since I had room left in the bottom of my Slingshot toolbox, I added the following metric sockets 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9 mm and a ratchet, 3/8" extension, spinner and 1/4" adapter from a very cheap HF set (HF #62843 or 63015, can't remember which) and a set of HF #61285 metric sockets (10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19 & 22mm).

If I can find the set I have in the garage, I'll probably replace the Metric set I just described earlier with a set that can handle either Metric or SAE.

07.31.17 - Unfortunately, the Grip Light shown in the PDF stopped working, even with new batteries, so I need to find a new work light.

Toolkit.pdf

• I’m guessing they really don’t want you working on it......the dealers probably have a version of the manual that lists the tools required....

That said there is a section in the manual that gives a general list of tools that are used in various procedures...

• Having been an Instructor for a couple of tours while in the Army and having developed instruction plans and testing materials, I guess I'm just used to a little more specificity in manuals. I'm also a little anal in that I studied Engineering before joining the Army. It just seems natural to me to include a list of needed tools when writing how to do a specific task, especially when you already have a general list of tools for the vehicle.* I just find it to be a PITA to have to keep going back into the garage to get a different tool while in the middle of a project.

*It also struck me a significant omission when I didn't find a general tools list in the Owner's manual. Most motorcycles used to come with a set of tools (and I hope they still do). Including a list of needed tools is the bare minimum if a set of tools is not included with a vehicle. The cost to the manufacturer is extremely negligible and such a list can be very handy for a new owner.

• One of my biggest disappointments with the service manual which I noticed immediately was the lack of a list of the tools needed to accomplish the different tasks....

It has always been my belief that the service manual was worth so much because it had the secret “inside” information only available to the dealer mechanics. Without a tool list it still is...kinda..