Golf Cart troubleshooting

• I inherited an old golf cart, a club car and I don't know much about it. I have two chargers, the first one shows an error on it, but was told that it was probably bad. The second one looked fine and after 24 hours, the ammeter showed 15 or so. This is a 48v cart I think, seem to recall being told that years ago.

Turned on key and got a faint hum when I pressed on the pedal and the ammeter slowly faded out, as if it had a very slight charge.

Oh, did I forget to mention that I know nothing at all about these? :)

I'm guessing my next step should be to unplug the batteries and test each one with a voltmeter. I think the batteries are 4 or 5 years old, but it has sit for at least a year, if not more.

My goal is to get it running, use it here in the yard because I'm a lazy ass, and to let the grandkids drive around.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

• Chances are the batteries are toast. I have 2 and replaced the batteries with large marine deep cycle. They cost less then the golf cart batteries. They may have juice, but the level is below what the charger can read. You can try to jump the charge level up and it may work. I put a 3" lift on mine and they look pretty cool!

• First off check the levels in the batteries if low top off with distilled water. Then you could charge for a while and then check the voltage across each individual battery with the charger off. Wait an hour or so and do the same thing again. You should see right off if any are all the batteries are bad. If the battery igood it will probably hold the voltage clse to the first voltage check. If the battery is bad the voltage should have fell off a good bit. Four to five years they may still be good if they had been taken care of the whole time, but you close to the end of the service life anyway.

• Yeah, it has 4 batteries in it, 3 of them show .1 volts and one is showing 3.4v.

Now to source some batteries for it.

If you can fab and weld, there's always another option. I've wanted to take one of these and convert it into a more fun cart. I was thinking any street bike 250cc or larger that you can get the engine/trans out of that also has chain drive. Gas, brake, clutch, and a shifter. Tell me it doesn't sound fun..... :D

• If you can fab and weld, there's always another option. I've wanted to take one of these and convert it into a more fun cart. I was thinking any street bike 250cc or larger that you can get the engine/trans out of that also has chain drive. Gas, brake, clutch, and a shifter. Tell me it doesn't sound fun..... :D

Actually there is one on U-Tube with a Hiabusi engine. There were at least two Videos on it. Plus there are some others on -Tube if you looking for ideas.

• Actually there is one on U-Tube with a Hiabusi engine. There were at least two Videos on it. Plus there are some others on -Tube if you looking for ideas.

I had a Honda 800 V-twin donor. It was water cooled, needed work as it wouldn't fire but had compression and turned over fine. Was running when parked. It was chain for final drive, so it was a likely candidate. Before I found a golf cart, I had a second cousin that was trying to turn his life around (drugs and record) and had nothing to drive or ride. I gave it to him and his brother. Still, not looking for 'Busa, just something fun with more power than a golf cart. I think it would be pretty easy to build. I've worked on rat rods before, and it's just not that much different. Make it fit, find a way to get it moving, steering, and stopped.

• Shatneyman, thanks for the confirmation, you called it. Replaced the 4 batteries and it’s up and running smoothly.

Also, what I was told was the ammeter was not, it’s just a voltmeter and I think that is what killed the batteries. It’s not tied into key, stays on all the time. With this thing sitting for an extended period of time, completely drained the batteries and they sat like that for at least a year, if not more.

It’s an after market voltmeter that was added, so I’m either going to wire it into the key if I can, or put a toggle switch on it. I won’t use the cart enough I don’t think and it’s possible it will sit idle too much without charging.

I did take your advice and put in marine deep cycle, much cheaper, and for the little use we’ll get out of it, I think they should be fine. I put in 135 ah and they are rated at 1000 CCA

Thanks for the ideas!