Coming spring 2019 - MeanSling QuickShade

• Well our weather has cleared up so I removed my Sport Top today - its just too darn beautiful out to have the top on and no rain is expected until well into February. Yea, I know the sport top is not intended to be a rain top, but it really does help, but for the time being I am back to topless :thumbsup:

I have to say that I do love that this top can be removed and replaced so quickly and easily, That one aspect is what I think makes it the best top in the business for those of us who wanted an open vehicle experience when we bought our Slingshots perhaps its only flaw is that it cant be folded and taken with me - - but then thats why this thread is here

Very interested to see the pricing on this new sun shade

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited 2 times, last by Edward Neal ().

• AllIn5450 I can understand but there needed to be a raised area to clear heads and helmets. Because it actually sits below the top of the hoops. I was amazed at the number of SS owners that are well over the 98% rule I tried to follow. The center was lower in the original design but had to be changed. The Sport Top has more head room than the Polaris SlingShade.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• My problem is I'm very tall in the torso, so most tops I've found, I wouldn't be able to see streetlights. In fact, if I wear a helmet, I'm almost at the top of the roll bars as-is. Without a helmet, my head comes to the bottom of the top roll and the seat top is right at where the neck meets the skull. I even thought about finding someone to cut my seat mounts down an inch or two. I've sat in a few folks' SS with tops and still haven't found one high enough, even the gull-wing ones. Heck, there's some cars I can't even fit in. (Remember the PT Cruiser - couldn't even sit in the drivers seat!)

I was actually liking the easy-on/off/storage of this so that I could put it on quickly if the sun just got too bad and I would just suck it up if I needed to see street lights.

And to quote @EdwardNeal: Very interested to see the pricing on this new sun shade

• My problem is I'm very tall in the torso, so most tops I've found, I wouldn't be able to see streetlights. In fact, if I wear a helmet, I'm almost at the top of the roll bars as-is.

I was just like edwardaneal, I fought for a long time about putting a top on our motorcycle, but for various reasons decided to "try" it. Doing so, we have found that you really do not need to be overly tall to have the "problem" that you are describing where I am 5"10" and with our Sport Top I need to scrunch down to see the overhead streetlights. Part of the "issue" is that to provide the most comfortable, (and I mean very comfortable :thumbsup:), ride with the least amount of wind noise, especially at highway speeds, we need the front of the top to be adjusted low, at least with the Madstad windshield. It would help some to raise the front of the top while doing "city" driving, but I am too lazy to keep changing it. What would be ideal would be a MeanSling-like designed top made out of plexiglass, like an aircraft canopy! 8)

Bill

Additional thoughts where many folks consider using a top mostly for shade, with just minor experience with the Sport Top on warmer days is that it appears to retain heat rather than making the passenger compartment cooler, this coming summer we'll be able to test this out more fully. But. with this in mind, the QuickShade may be the more appropriate top if just looking for relief from the sun?

bill

• I was just like edwardaneal, I fought for a long time about putting a top on our motorcycle, but for various reasons decided to "try" it. Doing so, we have found that you really do not need to be overly tall to have the "problem" that you are describing where I am 5"10" and with our Sport Top I need to scrunch down to see the overhead streetlights. Part of the "issue" is that to provide the most comfortable, (and I mean very comfortable :thumbsup:), ride with the least amount of wind noise, especially at highway speeds, we need the front of the top to be adjusted low, at least with the Madstad windshield. It would help some to raise the front of the top while doing "city" driving, but I am too lazy to keep changing it. What would be ideal would be a MeanSling-like designed top made out of plexiglass, like an aircraft canopy! 8)

Bill

Additional thoughts where many folks consider using a top mostly for shade, with just minor experience with the Sport Top on warmer days is that it appears to retain heat rather than making the passenger compartment cooler, this coming summer we'll be able to test this out more fully. But. with this in mind, the QuickShade may be the more appropriate top if just looking for relief from the sun?

bill

Yes, I bought the Sports Top mostly for the shade - heck I bought it 100% for the shade. I have ridden my Slingshot through the full summer including 120 degree days and I still didnt want a top, but my wife hates the sun and it became clear that unless something changed she was not going to join me on rides. She and I talked about it and it was actually an interesting conversation because she didnt want a top as much as I didnt want a top - she just didnt want me to compromise and change my Slingshot just for her. Well then I showed her the MeanSling sport top and told her how it was designed to be something I could put on just for those times I when she wanted to ride. She told me to order it and at the same time she agreed to go with me in the slingshot to the slingshot vender show in Fallbrook this coming April and we booked the event.

My Sport Top arrived and was installed at the end of November and up until yesterday I have kept it on - at first I wanted to test it and adjust it and see how I liked it and then I found that even though I bought it for the sun it actually makes a huge improvement in how dry I stay when it rains

I am really glad I bought the MeanSling top - I still love my Slingshot topless and I suspect most of the time the top will be waiting in the garage for the times when my wife will ride or when hard rain is expected - when I took it off yesterday it took me under 5 minutes piece of cake and I know back on is just as easy

I dont want a top, and that is never going to change I took the sling out last night and was reminded why I love the openness of my slingshot so the top is off, but even though I dont want a top I love having my MeanSling top - its right there for when I need it. When my Sara wants to ride I can put it on as easy as changing my shirt and I am sure this coming summer when it hits 115 or 120 I will test it and see if i like it for that.

If I wanted a top full time I am not sure I would have chosen the MeanSling top, it is by far the most affordable, but for full time if you have the money there are some very solid options, Having said that though the MeanSling top is the best top made for me - - I saw it posted in another thread where I think Ruptured Duck said it best - The MeanSling Sport Top is the top designed for the person who doesn't really want a top

Thanks Patrick for making a top for people like me and I am really looking forward to learning more about this sun shade - - looks like another great product for us owners that dont want to turn our cage free rides back into cages :thumbsup:

• Thank you Edward Neal love hearing real world experience. When you design something you can only hope others understand the concept and design intent. The QuickShade is for that last bit of resistance out there.

wjfyfe I believe you will see a difference in the summer. Then again there are a lot of other factors that come into play including the windshield.

I might suggest looking into Baker wings that have recently been designed to work with the Sport Top A-Arms

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• wjfyfe I believe you will see a difference in the summer. Then again there are a lot of other factors that come into play including the windshield.

I might suggest looking into Baker wings that have recently been designed to work with the Sport Top A-Arms

Thanks Patrick, Like, edwardaneal, we'll prolly be running the majority of the summer topless on short trips. We have the option of raising the Madstad windshield to allow airflow underneath, we just have not had enough time to truly test it out before our winter weather set in. As far as the Baker wings, please pardon my saying so, they are way too expensive for what you get.

Bill

• Additional thoughts where many folks consider using a top mostly for shade, with just minor experience with the Sport Top on warmer days is that it appears to retain heat rather than making the passenger compartment cooler, this coming summer we'll be able to test this out more fully.

I've had one of the original MeanSling tops since Maggie Valley in 2017. I'm not a top loving person, really like the open feel without it. That said, I love the MeanSling top! 5 minutes to take off or put on, and it gives me options that I didn't have before. It will help with rain, but only light rain as I've gotten soaked with it on. It will help with sun on the really hot days, mine goes on if it's going to approach mid 90's or higher. As for the retaining heat, the top does do that if you are stopped or sitting still. With the stock windshield, the air is directed into the top from the underside and exits at the back. Anything over 20 MPH feels like it's dropped 15-20 degrees. My wife actually wears a jacket if it's only mid 70s to 80 whenever the top is on. With the windshield you have, if it's not directing the air up into the inside of the top, I could see that contributing to the cause of the heat issues.

• Showed your new top to the Captain, her first question was "How do you get in and out?"

Is the top fabric flexible enough that you just duck under it, or do you get in and fasten it after being seated?

Doc&Ruby I don't have the top but I do know it hinges in the front to get in .

I'm sure Ruptured Duck can give a better explanation

• Showed your new top to the Captain, her first question was "How do you get in and out?"

Is the top fabric flexible enough that you just duck under it, or do you get in and fasten it after being seated?

Doc&Ruby the mesh top has been designed with an inbound offset to allow you to enter and exit the SlingShot easily. No need to do anything while installed. This is a very simple shade for covering as much as possible but also be stores away when not needed. Even with this it still has a similar coverage area as other rigid fixed tops.

DER  wjfyfe l don't thing he was referring to the Sport Top but thanks. The thread did get a little side tracked

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Actually, I believe that was his bride who said that - or stole it from him. Either way, best advice would be to give her the credit.:00008172:

Unless it was my wife who said it first back in 2017... At that point I will need to go with her... Sorry.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Actually, I believe that was his bride who said that - or stole it from him. Either way, best advice would be to give her the credit.:00008172:

Ahhh - thank you for the correction - either way they are both great people and the products they make and sell are first class products

• Been traveling as well and doing the stupid day job thing. I'll be touching base with some vendors first thing on Monday. Plan to have details ironed out and will post by week's end.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Just finished visiting my top manufacturer. We are on track and plan to have (20) available in 3-4 weeks. Would people be interested in pre-orders?

The storage bags are running slower and will need to ship these out after the tops if that's OK?

Will have price soon.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• I've been keeping a close eye on this. Having a top has never been an interest of mine. However, with that said, we've been debating a spring trip from TN to key west. Looks like your timing couldn't be any better because I was really scratching my head on how not to absolutely burn for a week in direct sun but remain topless. Obviously price is a factor for any potential buyer but given the design and apparent functionality this top seems like a no brainer for anybody without a top taking a road trip. Seems like it would stay with me 24/7 right along with my cockpit cover and always be worth having if needed at any given time. The wife automatically said it was genius and the answer to our trip if it works even half as good as the things we've heard about the meansling sport top. Hats off to you sir.