Kinda sad

• Though the SlingShot is in a whole different class of vehicles, but it literally screamed "Buy me! Buy me! where we simply had no choice to do just that! :thumbsup:

Sorta related to the SlingShot is with our 2001 VW Jetta TDI, which is sneaking up on 400,000 miles and since it is getting so long in the tooth we have been considering "upgrading" to a newer vehicle. The problem has become that we have yet to find any vehicle today that would do us a better job than our Jetta. There has been simply nothing out there screaming to us, "Buy me! Buy me!" We are choosing to put more money into our 18 year old jalopy rather than buying something new, now, ain't that sad?

Bill

• Little over 2 years ago I bought a NEW work vechiel --- 1985 Merc Station Wagon. So No ain't all that sad, when you have something that works for you is there a reason to change just to change.

• I looked no further than my 1991 Chevy Silverado stepside 4x4, it became a classic last year.

My slingshot was just down the road and headed my way when this pic was taken.

• I would think you might be able to find the same or similar vehicle with fewer (maybe many fewer) miles. Your 400k mile experience would/could give you a reasonable expectation of its future. If you're willing to travel for the right one, and are patient in your search, I bet that vehicle could be found. Maybe you'd get another decade plus from a replacement.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I recently bought a 2014 Lincoln Navigator -- did my research and traveled 700 miles to look at and buy the unit. Good SUV at a great price. Did a lot of looking.

I have driven Lincoln Town Car for 30+ years and love them, but was time for a new ride and wanted something that would be used to tow Slingshot to Florida in the winter. Will start that trip 13 Jan 2019.

• I looked no further than my 1991 Chevy Silverado stepside 4x4, it became a classic last year.

My slingshot was just down the road and headed my way when this pic was taken.

I think they give parking lessons in your neck of the woods, oh my bad you are just getting ready for New Years party. Ok I get it now. Happy New Year.

JUST SAYIN

Keep Three Wheels Down

• I think they give parking lessons in your neck of the woods, oh my bad you are just getting ready for New Years party. Ok I get it now. Happy New Year.

JUST SAYIN

My slingshot was just coming up the street on the shipping truck and I had to make room fast so I could unload the sling in the driveway. I call it early morning mad rush parking. ^^

• My slingshot was just coming up the street on the shipping truck and I had to make room fast so I could unload the sling in the driveway. I call it early morning mad rush parking. ^^

Sorry War Hoop but everyone has a name for everything, not sure what you call but looks like uh oh, missed. That’s ok That’s your story and you are sticking to it,right!

JUST SAYIN

Keep Three Wheels Down

• Point being, in 19 years wouldn't ya think that somebody would have come up with something better, well, at least equal? 55 MPG plus on the highway, 35 MPG pulling a 1200 pound trailer, and still able to pass most vehicles on the hills, things have actually gone backward where there is nothing out there today that even comes close, at least in this country. :(

Bill

• I have a 2000 Super Duty with a 7.3 liter diesel, manual transmission. Bought it about 8 years ago with 163k on it, it now has 193k. It was mechanically sound when I bought it but the paint was faded and it had a ding here and there. I had the dings removed, had it painted and it’s now a good looking truck, but getting up in years. It serves my purposes perfectly however, and that has been hauling the truck camper and a motorcycle trailer to wherever a few times a year. The newer trucks are much nicer, much more comfortable. But every since 2003 the EPA has gone after the light truck diesels with a lots of new emissions standards. It has taken the manufacturers a while to get things right, having manufactured many years of unreliable diesel engines. I don’t know if this is also true for the automotive diesels, but there are many year models of diesel trucks you just wouldn’t want. So I agree with the consensus that if it’s working for you, don’t change it.

And things have gotten so expensive now it makes it easier to justify holding on to what you have.

• Point being, in 19 years wouldn't ya think that somebody would have come up with something better, well, at least equal? 55 MPG plus on the highway, 35 MPG pulling a 1200 pound trailer, and still able to pass most vehicles on the hills, things have actually gone backward where there is nothing out there today that even comes close, at least in this country. :(

Bill

That's because corporate America has discovered they can make money without having to use their brains.

• I have a 2000 Super Duty with a 7.3 liter diesel, manual transmission.

I'm running a 1999 F250 7.3l Powerstroke with the 6 speed manual. Totally loaded with a fuel gauge, voltmeter, oil pressure gauge and water temp gauge. Oh yeah, and a radio with a cassette player. Not much to go wrong there. I found it with 88k miles and now it's around 120k. That truck will easily outlast me. I work it hard with a 3,500 lb camper and a snowmobile trailer with 2 quads behind that, 10,000 lb GVWR dump trailer, car hauler for my tractor, etc. It will pull Mt. Hood up Mt. Rainier. Too bad you can't go buy that truck new. I'd have a hard time working a $70k truck like I do mine.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I'm running a 1999 F250 7.3l Powerstroke with the 6 speed manual. Totally loaded with a fuel gauge, voltmeter, oil pressure gauge and water temp gauge. Oh yeah, and a radio with a cassette player. Not much to go wrong there. I found it with 88k miles and now it's around 120k. That truck will easily outlast me. I work it hard with a 3,500 lb camper and a snowmobile trailer with 2 quads behind that, 10,000 lb GVWR dump trailer, car hauler for my tractor, etc. It will pull Mt. Hood up Mt. Rainier. Too bad you can't go buy that truck new. I'd have a hard time working a $70k truck like I do mine.

I have a friend that just finished totally rebuilding the Ford dually that has the good diesel in it. A few things on the engine were changed like the glow plug. Did not even rebuild the diesel. He even had to cut the bed apart to make like new, says he knows where there are 5 more of them, but they are a little well used body wise.

• I went to the dealership to look for a truck to replace my 2009 GMC 3/4 ton in the spring of 2015. The only difference I found was the new trucks were cleaner, had more gadgets on them and had a 7 year payment plan. So I bought a Slingshot instead and the truck is still working great with no payments and just some minor repairs. Even with a major repair it would be still worth it. Hey wjfyfe why don't you look for a 2001 VW that was granny driven and only has less miles on it.

• I'm running a 1999 F250 7.3l Powerstroke with the 6 speed manual. Totally loaded with a fuel gauge, voltmeter, oil pressure gauge and water temp gauge. Oh yeah, and a radio with a cassette player. Not much to go wrong there. I found it with 88k miles and now it's around 120k. That truck will easily outlast me. I work it hard with a 3,500 lb camper and a snowmobile trailer with 2 quads behind that, 10,000 lb GVWR dump trailer, car hauler for my tractor, etc. It will pull Mt. Hood up Mt. Rainier. Too bad you can't go buy that truck new. I'd have a hard time working a $70k truck like I do mine.

Make sure you use the VC 8 coolant additive. These are wet sleeve engines and need this to prevent electrolysis from pitting the sleeves/block.

• Hey wjfyfe why don't you look for a 2001 VW that was granny driven and only has less miles on it.

Possibly, but you are still buying a 20 some year old vehicle, though, that just may be what we will be forced to do. The Chevy diesel Cruze was the closest contender, but now that they can no longer be purchased with a manual transmission that option has now also passed. So, if we want another vehicle that does what our 20 year old TDI Jetta does, a new vehicle is no longer an option, it will have to be used.

Bill

Bill

The VW Jetta has always been based on the "VW group A" platform.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_A_platform

This was originally designed for the VW Golf. It is also used by other VW designed cars and SEAT, Škoda and Audi models (including the Audi TT).

Many of these have the same the TDi, engine, but it is the TDi power plant, that has now changed. (I even had a, European, Jeep with one factory fitted in it, from new).

You could get a selection of models that would all be very similar but nothing will be exactly the same anymore, however there is a lot that will come close. After all the Jetta was first made for people that wanted a Golf, with a trunk.

Hopefully that's of help.

All the best, from UK_Paul

• I recently bought a 2014 Lincoln Navigator -- did my research and traveled 700 miles to look at and buy the unit. Good SUV at a great price. Did a lot of looking.

I have driven Lincoln Town Car for 30+ years and love them, but was time for a new ride and wanted something that would be used to tow Slingshot to Florida in the winter. Will start that trip 13 Jan 2019.

Safe travels EJ , the new to you, Navigator will make it an even more enjoyable trip , I'm sure . We all gotta drive, why not enjoy the drive !