COOLANT TANK ISSUES?

• MAAAAAANNNNNN ! Looks like I need a new coolant tank! I have the six-year warranty anybody think this is covered by the warranty? These are before and after pictures from a 1200 mile trip

Wet with coolant...:cursing:

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Back around '16 there were a rash of tanks cracking which led to a couple vendors making metal ones. I pulled my OEM and for preventive purposes, put a coat of JB Weld all around the seam and tubes that hoses connect to. JB that comes in a tube, variety of types. I used whatever was labeled for plastic, etc. Not sure you'd want to do that tho as you'd always be wondering if it would hold up.

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• Back around '16 there were a rash of tanks cracking which led to a couple vendors making metal ones. I pulled my OEM and for preventive purposes, put a coat of JB Weld all around the seam and tubes that hoses connect to. JB that comes in a tube, variety of types. I used whatever was labeled for plastic, etc. Not sure you'd want to do that tho as you'd always be wondering if it would hold up.

I hear you and thank you for that. I like spending my money on the outside with bells and whistle’s however the outside doesn’t look good stranded by the roadside so I think there is an aluminum tank in my future. I will inquire with the dealer though as to if there may be some type of reimbursement or perhaps some type of upgrade as mine is a 2016 .

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• MAAAAAANNNNNN ! Looks like I need a new coolant tank! I have the six-year warranty anybody think this is covered by the warranty? These are before and after pictures from a 1200 mile trip

Wet with coolant...:cursing:

Dave had two tanks at one time. The more expensive one had a nicer looking cap. The less expensive one however, was the better tank and the one Dave recommended to everyone. I see now that it's the only tank he sells. I have it, was a bit of a pain to change. However, much less than the pain of being by the side of the road, possibly with engine damage from overheating.

• It is all according to where you are when it starts leaking and how much it will cost you to get home or the dealer. More than likely more that it will cost you you replace with DDM tank. Make it lite on yourself.

• I knew there would be folks that would take my post too seriously....................................:(

OK, I guess we need to get back to being serious, and reality, where I sincerely doubt that the tank will all of a sudden catastrophically fail where one cannot make a minor repair good enough to get home.

http://eclecticproducts.com/seal-all.html

Before we installed the muffler and GM manifold heat shields on our 2015 I could not put my hand on the coolant tank after a long ride it was so hot, since installing these I can do so. Ours is now going on four years old and I sincerely believe that it will go many more. I'll take the chance that if it does ultimately fail either I will replace it with another stock tank I will have stashed under the bench, or in the mean time maybe somebody will come up with a cheaper replacement alternative.

Bill

Added notation: our 2015 also has the added advantage of having no radiator shroud installed, thus allowing frontal air to freely circulate around the engine compartment instead of being forced underneath thus creating a dead air "dutch oven" effect.................;)

bill

• Mine is a 2015, and yes there have been some failures that they were not able to continue to ride. Cheap Insurance

• I knew there would be folks that would take my post too seriously....................................:(

OK, I guess we need to get back to being serious, and reality, where I sincerely doubt that the tank will all of a sudden catastrophically fail where one cannot make a minor repair good enough to get home.

bill

Most of the posts after yours were more directed at SoCal I believe. As for the tank, I've replaced mine and thankful I don't have any worries about it any longer. When I think of all the things I've changed on mine, the money spend on it originally and to make it what I want.... the coolant tank upgrade was a small amount compared to just the other things found just under my hood. I'm looking at building a gauge pod so that I can monitor water temp/Volts/Oil pressure and I'll have over double the tank upgrade price in that. It's all in what you want and use the SS for. I run mine rather hard at times, and many of those times I'm several hours from home. Peace of mind that I have not used cheap parts that will fail as quickly over time are worth it to me. Being able to monitor what the machine is doing without having to rely on idiot lights is priceless to me.

As for failing tanks, I've seen pictures of ones that split the tank over 1/2 way while out on a trip. Can it be fixed? About any auto parts dealer will have some type of tank you could adapt if only held in place by zip ties. I've done many roadside repairs in my motorcycle/Slingshot history, but the best ones are the ones that preemptive the threat beforehand (in my garage, out of the sun!) in my opinion.