DATSling = Dead sling

• ;( Sadly my Sling is completely, 100% dead. Not even a glimmer of warning lights on the LCD instrument panel of a low battery. Popped the battery compartment, hooked up a second car via jumper cables, and … nothing. Troubleshooting included:

-Jumper cable connection: Mine is a two-piece unit that connects jumpers to both cars’ battery terminals (a special port in the 2nd car) and then has a connector the two sets of cables with indicator lights showing a correct connection. Check. Revv’d the 2nd car. Nothing. Left it running for about 30 minutes, revving occasionally … nothing. Battery terminals glinted bright copper in our gorgeous N.Cal sun and looked totally clean.

-Fuses: Checked the 50/50/40 main fuses by battery. Fine. Checked fuses in the box under the hood, particularly the 10-amp ignition one. Design doesn’t allow a view of the actual fuse wire but I didn’t see any damage or smell anything untoward.

-Ignition: Appears to be operating properly, only without power.

2016.5 SL, just under 11K miles, purchased used with 10k, no idea how old battery is.

Advice? Thoughts? Or is DATSling consigned to an all-expense paid trip to the dealer? Thanks in advance.

• If it is the stock mini battery, it's likely the cause. That battery could be nearly 3 years old, and it's really not much more than a lawn and garden tractor battery. They are known to fail sooner, and the reason that most people change them out for the larger 34 battery.

Do you have a voltmeter? That will tell you if the battery has dropped cell(s). It would have to be really dead to not light up anything when the key is turned on. I also agree with KayTwo and Ross that hooking up a known good battery would eliminate the battery as the problem, or point to it.

• Weather you replace the battery with a high $ or off the shelf battery from Batteries +, Change it to today and ride. I have replaced (off the shelf) two in 73,000 miles that show that the battery charger I hooked up was dead....not battery dead. Replaced and started right up. Off the shelf battery at Battery + about $140.00.

• Weather you replace the battery with a high $ or off the shelf battery from Batteries +, Change it to today and ride. I have replaced (off the shelf) two in 73,000 miles that show that the battery charger I hooked up was dead....not battery dead. Replaced and started right up. Off the shelf battery at Battery + about $140.00.

I surely would be curious why you have gone through three batteries in approximately as many years, we are still running off of our original?

Bill

• My original battery was replaced last May at 70,0000 miles and around 4 years and nothing was wrong with it at the time just did not want any surpprises this past summer.. Build date was Dec. 2014for the Sling. I replaced with the Otima Group 25 battery which is 1 inch shorter than the Group 34 battery

• I surely would be curious why you have gone through three batteries in approximately as many years, we are still running off of our original?

Bill

Bill I think with the last one I left some under glow lights on when I went on vacation...My fault not necessarily the battery. But it was totally gone and was just much easier to put a new one in. This was late Nov 2018 and we will be heading to Florida in Jan 2019 and didn't want any problems when not at home.

• My 2011 pickup truck still has the original battery and it sits outside all year....I basically only use it in the winter...

Small Motorcycle batteries suck..water evaporates too fast...probably because they get too hot when driving/recharging. Think about 12-14 volts being pumped into a motorcycle battery verses a much larger car battery....heating up the lead plates....