1320 exhaust fumes.

• With a Madstad windshield but otherwise the same here, no fumes. We've recently added a part-time top so will be attentive to any new issues it may cause, but none so far.

Bill

Which top did you go with? Meansling,I think it’s called?

Day’s are long, and year’s are short. Enjoy the long days:)

• That is where the adjustable Madstad windshield has it's advantages when it comes to ventilation. As far as a look-thru windshield, I have already posted what happens here when the fog/frost moves in during our winters. Just rain right now, but with the temps hovering around the freezing point it will be the better part of valor to just keep the Grasshopper tucked in snug and cozy in the garage...........

Bill

I never liked looking thru the windshield of my bikes, and at my height rarely did. But I thought I would have a winter, and summer windshield since I already have the Ripper🤔

Day’s are long, and year’s are short. Enjoy the long days:)

• Melloreel , recommend you do a search on this forum for "Meansling" so you can see all the discussion about the top. There are a lot of MeanSling top owners here.

For a 'winter' shield the F4 Customs 5+ would be a good unit(I'm about 6ft). Tinted or Clear. Don will do some special 7+ and 9+ for the really short guys....

• Get a Madstad windshield it keeps the air moving in the cockpit

I have Welter duals, 1320 header, CAI, and a fabric roof. Last winter I installed a 11” Madstad windshield hoping to cut down on the wind on cooler days. While that was achieved, the fumes became unbearable. Removed the Madstad, reinstalled the stock one - fumes gone. Kudos to the Madstad folks - I lived near their factory (where I bought it) and they gave a full refund.

• I've never even seen anyone post up that they had this mod installed. Intriguing.

Kinda reminds me of an undercarriage version of Jdin 's mod. That was you, wasn't it?

Not my mod, I just have the DEI kit under my Slingshot.

Does sound like it may help looking at the description. The air pocket is definitely different with tops on.

• I have Welter duals, 1320 header, CAI, and a fabric roof. Last winter I installed a 11” Madstad windshield hoping to cut down on the wind on cooler days. While that was achieved, the fumes became unbearable. Removed the Madstad, reinstalled the stock one - fumes gone. Kudos to the Madstad folks - I lived near their factory (where I bought it) and they gave a full refund.

As I recently posted, we have the stock exhaust and have had the Magstad 9" blade windshield for years and have been very happy. However, we Just recently installed the MeanSling Sport-top, so your comments piqued my interest. Your exhaust , lowlander, is exiting out the rear, correct? Which top are you sporting? Which stock windshield are you comparing to? Which position(s) of the Madstad windshield provided the worst environment where fumes were concerned? Were there any positions at all that improved the situation?

An early observation of our system after installing the top, is how the turbulence of air in the passenger area has been practically eliminated. With the windshield adjusted all the way down, the airflow in the passenger area becomes dead by all practical purposes. So far raising the windshield, allowing air to vent through underneath, improves air movement without additional turbulence, over all providing additional comfort to our ride during these cooler months.

However, on a related issue, we have already noticed that the passenger area becomes quite a bit warmer when the top is installed. A concern here is that when summer returns though the top will shield us from the sun, that the heat under the top may become a problem in itself? We are hoping that the Madstad windshield comes through so by raising the windshield, this allows enough airflow into the passenger area to counter this effect? Further research to follow! ;)

Anyways, thanks again lowlander!

Bill

• I'll be able to add some info fairly soon. I have two Madstad windshields, the 9 and 11 inch. The Meansling top. Alpha CAI and side exhaust with the 1320 header. And soon the R-Shot windscreen.

I never noticed fumes without the top, but will try different setups with the winshields and windscreen. I'll also mount a rod with a ribbon in the cockpit to see what turbulence is created.

Maybe it'll shed some light too.

• Merry Christmas to all - from Nova Scotia where it far too cold for a SS ride, although the ground is bare. To wjfyfe - my Welter duals are 2” and exit at the rear. The roof is a Twist Dynamics version 2. I truly do not know the vertical on my factory windshield but I think it is 7”. With that combo fumes are not an issue although I very occassionally catch a whiff. Good luck with your deliberations!!

• Merry Christmas to all - from Nova Scotia where it far too cold for a SS ride, although the ground is bare. To wjfyfe - my Welter duals are 2” and exit at the rear. The roof is a Twist Dynamics version 2. I truly do not know the vertical on my factory windshield but I think it is 7”. With that combo fumes are not an issue although I very occassionally catch a whiff. Good luck with your deliberations!!

lowlander are you going to be in Florida in Jan 2019?

• Hey EJ! Merry Christmas to you folks. No, we are wintering at home in NS this winter. Brrrr. Not used to snow and cold anymore after several winters in Fl. But we did book an apartment in Portugal for Feb and Mar so I won’t be suffering too long. Downside - cannot take the SS with me. At least not within my budget!!! Happy New Year - and thanks for checking with me!!

• Hey EJ! Merry Christmas to you folks. No, we are wintering at home in NS this winter. Brrrr. Not used to snow and cold anymore after several winters in Fl. But we did book an apartment in Portugal for Feb and Mar so I won’t be suffering too long. Downside - cannot take the SS with me. At least not within my budget!!! Happy New Year - and thanks for checking with me!!

Enjoy Portugal … Happy New Year.

• The Slingshot has two cats in the stock system. One in the down pipe and one in the stock muffler. Polaris knew what they were doing and where to put the exhaust. Despite all of us second guessing them on this. The Slingshot is a fume generator by the nature of its unusual open cockpit design.

Delete both cats you are going to get fumes. Add a taller windscreen and you are going to get fumes, add a top with a taller windshield you will get fumes.

Honestly every SS is built so different (modified versions) that having a single solution work for all SS owners is going to be very hard to find.

If just doing the 1320 header it will be OK to do the down-pipe delete but I would keep the stock muffler if running a taller than OE windshield.

Again these are just my personal opinions based on my experiences. Actual experience and mileage may very.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup: