1320 exhaust fumes.

• angie@WP or JeffWelter can help with answers. If you want to avoid fumes ss much as possible gomwith the welter sidekick. Get the 2.5 so you are ready for your supercharger!! I had the sidekick and loved it, but at ES jeff talked me into test driving his with the new FSX. Once my wife and I took off she said oh yea. You want this one!!!! Love it.

Now I have the splash guards gone and the wheel fenders so mine sticks straight out. I think this helps with any fumes.

Since I already have the 1320 V2 system installed, I was trying to stick with that. Welter is definitely top notch I’m sure, and the price point reflects that as well! I really haven’t had a chance to drive, and study the fume issue. I bought this thing just as winter started, then we’ve had the rainiest season in some years. I was hoping for a quick fix, but not having dealt with the Slings before I didn’t realize that this is a much bigger issue? Having Ridden, built, and modded Harley’s for many years I’m sure something will workout. I foolishly thought I could keep cost down. Hahahahaha.

Thanks guys for insights👍

Day’s are long, and year’s are short. Enjoy the long days:)

• Since I already have the 1320 V2 system installed, I was trying to stick with that. Welter is definitely top notch I’m sure, and the price point reflects that as well! I really haven’t had a chance to drive, and study the fume issue. I bought this thing just as winter started, then we’ve had the rainiest season in some years. I was hoping for a quick fix, but not having dealt with the Slings before I didn’t realize that this is a much bigger issue? Having Ridden, built, and modded Harley’s for many years I’m sure something will workout. I foolishly thought I could keep cost down. Hahahahaha.

Thanks guys for insights👍

$ $ $ $ $ & $ Sorry that spending for mods was moving the wrong way. Glad your here, enjoy the ride. Get lots of seat time in before going to crazy on the mods.

• $ $ $ $ $ & $ Sorry that spending for mods was moving the wrong way. Glad your here, enjoy the ride. Get lots of seat time in before going to crazy on the mods.

Thanks. I just got out of Rehab, for a Harley addiction that I had for years! Got that monkey off my back, and made it about 6 months, before I feel off the wagon, and into a sling addiction! But I promised myself during rehab I’m only going to do very little mods to this thing😳😪🤪

• Thanks. I just got out of Rehab, for a Harley addiction that I had for years! Got that monkey off my back, and made it about 6 months, before I feel off the wagon, and into a sling addiction! But I promised myself during rehab I’m only going to do very little mods to this thing😳😪🤪

I'm known as the 'modless' one in these parts. probably under $2,000.00 in mods...2 main ones being F4 5+ tinted Windshield and hugger rear fender...

• I'm known as the 'modless' one in these parts. probably under $2,000.00 in mods...2 main ones being F4 5+ tinted Windshield and hugger rear fender...

And....... I already researched both of those😳 I started with the exhaust/header first to try and lower the heat on passenger, Heck both sides of the cabin. I just assumed Ike all the Harley's removing cat was done the day you buy it unless you do want your shoe to melt. Then on to the other mods. It was hot out the day I bought it, and drove it about 2 1/2 hours home, oh and it rained, so it was nice and humid. I started that night looking for cat delete! Well by the time I got that done,the cold air was here, so started down the cold air mitigation trail. At that time I really realized it truly is a motorcycle😂😂😂 But I still like it👍 And the beat goes on...

• I had read that the only fix (per the post I read on another page) was the rear air deflector, due to the rear design of a sling pulling fumes up, and over into cockpit?

That’s why I’m confused🤔 There are many post, and much talk of fume issues, but no real answers? Surely in 4 model years someone would have figured something out???

And the search goes on. Thanks guys.

I can tell you horror stories about exhaust fumes from personal experience. All the variables is the problem with trying what someone else is using. I once posted a video of an SS going down the road at 65mph that had two flags mounted on the very rear. Both flags were blowing toward the cockpit. That told me a lot about the aero of the SS.

I'll tell a very short version of a very long and complicated story about exhaust fumes in our SS. There was some fumes with the stock exhaust, wind screen, and no top, no wind restrictor. Each time we changed one of those it affected the fumes as well as the noise in the cockpit and not always in a good way.

We ended up with a Nascar style wind screen, a slingshade top, custom wind restrictor, custom heat shield and insulation from the top of the fire wall to the rear of the sling, and a custom exhaust.

The wind restrictor has very close tolerances to the body and top.

The insulation kit was custom made by us using Dynamat and it included making custom made panels to cover all the holes in the firewall and also in the top of the transmission tunnel.

Since we decided to go boosted we use a very low restriction custom made exhaust which equates to it being very loud.

Presently we have very little to no exhaust fume issues. That is saying a mouth full considering folks behind me on a ride back in Nov, were complaining about my exhaust fumes and put me in the back of the pack. They mentioned something about pepi lapew or something like that. Not sure but we are happy.

Note: The extremely loud exhaust is not a problem because we use ANR headsets meant for light aircraft. We can converse as if we were in our family car at 100mph. We also listen to our music through the headsets.

Bottom line, it's like everything else you've ever done. Once you step away from stock then it's a custom design with custom made problems only cured by custom made solutions. Good Luck!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

Edited once, last by Ghost ().

• Ghost. You are correct sir! It took me a long time working on Harley’s to understand the true concept of you can’t have it all. When you gain something, you generally lose something HP, Torque etc...... When you modify one part, it starts a downhill slide of always chasing the next area To compensate for that change. I assume that’s why a lot of people on here keep going until they hit Turbo stage, which starts the cycle all over, and brings its own challenges. That being said, I said to wifey I was ONLY going for comfort Mods on the Sling. However, here we are😳 Now back to shopping for parts😂😂

• I tried to keep up with it when it was a hot topic. To the best of my memory like everything else it worked for some and not for others. Variables strikes again!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• No one has mentioned this simple mod yet https://www.welterperformance.com/product/wind-deflector/ Other than they fall off, are there any reviews about fumes?

That is a simple, and interesting item! I can see where on the face of it pushing the exhaust air downward would breakup the stream, but I think it could even cause the air to roll over into the cockpit from the rear even more! I guess it’s above my pay grade, but I don’t really understand why someone in the aftermarket field has not done exstensive wind tunnel, smoke test on a sling🤔 Surely there is something to be learned from it, and some market for the parts that’s bound to come from it. JMO.

• As most on here know --- not to many mods, Total OEM exhaust and have never experienced fumes in the 'cockpit'. Do get a lot of backdraft air into the cockpit, so on a cold day need a little to keep something on the head to keep warm. I do have a F4 5+ tinted windshield which adds to the 'backdraft'.

• Well if I can’t figure out a solution,I can always revert back to stock! The windshield, I’m 6’2 so always face in the wind with stock, and not a fan of cold. I have found the backdraft definitely chills from behind you as well.

The top,I want for Ga sun protection, but not a fan of the look, and wifey tells me to suck it up, as she likes the sun. I’m too old for it I guess😂 Maybe the removable one might work?

• Well if I can’t figure out a solution,I can always revert back to stock! The windshield, I’m 6’2 so always face in the wind with stock, and not a fan of cold. I have found the backdraft definitely chills from behind you as well.

The top,I want for Ga sun protection, but not a fan of the look, and wifey tells me to suck it up, as she likes the sun. I’m too old for it I guess😂 Maybe the removable one might work?

I love the F4 Customs tinted 5+ windshield---but I have always 'looked' thru the shields on my Wings and this does the same for me. With this windshield you will need to add Baker "Air Wings" to bring some cool in or keep the cold out. Sunny today and no Snow on the roads (30 deg) so I'll take a ride. May have rain and cold on Christmas day so better get some miles in today.

• I love the F4 Customs tinted 5+ windshield---but I have always 'looked' thru the shields on my Wings and this does the same for me. With this windshield you will need to add Baker "Air Wings" to bring some cool in or keep the cold out. Sunny today and no Snow on the roads (30 deg) so I'll take a ride. May have rain and cold on Christmas day so better get some miles in today.

That is where the adjustable Madstad windshield has it's advantages when it comes to ventilation. As far as a look-thru windshield, I have already posted what happens here when the fog/frost moves in during our winters. Just rain right now, but with the temps hovering around the freezing point it will be the better part of valor to just keep the Grasshopper tucked in snug and cozy in the garage...........

Bill