1320 exhaust fumes.

• Ok guys. I bought the 1320 V2 header, and exhaust with new type silencer in muffler. Told wifey it would be just a little louder. It’s much louder, which I don’t like that it’s right at her feet, but can live with that. Now. The fumes is a whole different animal. I have a 2016.5 so I ordered the Heat kit from Slingmods, and installed the engine bay area pieces while I had exhaust out. Not sure if that helped or hurt fuming? I have the OEM ripper I think it’s called windshield (one with vents), and really wanting to goto F4+5 since it’s winter. As it gets hotter in Georgia fumes get worse, so trying to find a fix before wifey gets even more unhappy. Always did full stage ones on my Harley’s so you had a little smell, but this thing is crazy🤬

Questions: will CAI help control fumes, as I have exhaust only now! Does anyone make an adapter kit to extend the pipe to rear of sling? Hate to remove exhaust just to buy same 1320 with the Vee clamp? I’ve read a lot on fumes with Sling, and not sure what’s correct. Rear wind deflector the answer? Sorry for long post, but I’m in trouble here😬

Day’s are long, and year’s are short. Enjoy the long days:)

• Ok guys. I bought the 1320 V2 header, and exhaust with new type silencer in muffler. Told wifey it would be just a little louder. It’s much louder, which I don’t like that it’s right at her feet, but can live with that. Now. The fumes is a whole different animal. I have a 2016.5 so I ordered the Heat kit from Slingmods, and installed the engine bay area pieces while I had exhaust out. Not sure if that helped or hurt fuming? I have the OEM ripper I think it’s called windshield (one with vents), and really wanting to goto F4+5 since it’s winter. As it gets hotter in Georgia fumes get worse, so trying to find a fix before wifey gets even more unhappy. Always did full stage ones on my Harley’s so you had a little smell, but this thing is crazy🤬

Questions: will CAI help control fumes, as I have exhaust only now! Does anyone make an adapter kit to extend the pipe to rear of sling? Hate to remove exhaust just to buy same 1320 with the Vee clamp? I’ve read a lot on fumes with Sling, and not sure what’s correct. Rear wind deflector the answer? Sorry for long post, but I’m in trouble here😬

A lot has been written on here about the fumes. The two worse things to increase he fumes are tall wind screens and tops. Which make for a low pressure area in the cock pit. Personally I have never had the fume problem I have the 2015 stock blade that has been cut off about 3 inches so to look over it. I also am running one of the first United Performance tops ever installed. Also with one of the very first Welter Duals ever installed. The CAI has nothing to do with the fumes.

• Loud I can't help with but give the exhaust some time to burn in and see if the fumes get a little better - remember once you eliminate the cat you will always have more fumes. I am running a side exhaust and once the new muffler burned it the fumes got much better. My wife hardly notices. But then again she does turn blue and fall asleep!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• A lot has been written on here about the fumes. The two worse things to increase he fumes are tall wind screens and tops. Which make for a low pressure area in the cock pit. Personally I have never had the fume problem I have the 2015 stock blade that has been cut off about 3 inches so to look over it. I also am running one of the first United Performance tops ever installed. Also with one of the very first Welter Duals ever installed. The CAI has nothing to do with the fumes.

Yes sir I have read a lot about the fumes. But after working on numerous Harley’s as a hobby, which also suffers from cockpit air issues (wind) I never would have thought making an exhaust that would overcome (placement,design) the low cabin pressure would be such a challenge🤔

As for CAI, to make a Harley, or any gas engine run it’s best when modifying the air/exhaust is to always do the threes if possible (intake,exhaust,tune) but as I said this is a different animal. So the search continues, as I plan to add a top this summer so I’m sure fumes will increase☹️

• Loud I can't help with but give the exhaust some time to burn in and see if the fumes get a little better - remember once you eliminate the cat you will always have more fumes. I am running a side exhaust and once the new muffler burned it the fumes got much better. My wife hardly notices. But then again she does turn blue and fall asleep!

Turns blue😂😂

This exhaust was lightly used when I got it, and I’ve put a few miles on it so I think the burn off is done. it seems to me this motor is running extremely rich, but I’m not sure so maybe tune?

• I do not have a rear wind restrictor, but from my understanding they increase the amount of dead air in the cockpit. If you are already experiencing fumes, I would probably not recommend the wind deflector.

• I would give some consideration to installing a turbo system to your ride. it might not do anything about the fumes, but it will allow you to get away from them a lot easier :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Best reply yet😂😂😂😂😂😂 I thought I was done with race bike motors, but maybe not😳Dang it........

• I do not have a rear wind restrictor, but from my understanding they increase the amount of dead air in the cockpit. If you are already experiencing fumes, I would probably not recommend the wind deflector.

I had read that the only fix (per the post I read on another page) was the rear air deflector, due to the rear design of a sling pulling fumes up, and over into cockpit?

That’s why I’m confused🤔 There are many post, and much talk of fume issues, but no real answers? Surely in 4 model years someone would have figured something out???

And the search goes on. Thanks guys.

• That’s why I’m confused🤔 There are many post, and much talk of fume issues, but no real answers? Surely in 4 model years someone would have figured something out???

Too many variables, and no dedicated testing platforms. One guy has one set up, and experiences one thing, and the next guy has *one* item different, and has a different experience. Plus different weather conditions, passengers with differing levels of tolerance....it's just a crapshoot.

• I had read that the only fix (per the post I read on another page) was the rear air deflector, due to the rear design of a sling pulling fumes up, and over into cockpit?

That’s why I’m confused🤔 There are many post, and much talk of fume issues, but no real answers? Surely in 4 model years someone would have figured something out???

I fixed it on my SS by making some changes to my top, I now have air flow in the cockpit

• I fixed it on my SS by making some changes to my top, I now have air flow in the cockpit

How about winter driving? Our climate is about the same as yours I would guess? It gets chilly, and really cold in Jan-Feb. That’s why I was thinking Top, and taller shield to extend riding time?

• How about winter driving? Our climate is about the same as yours I would guess? It gets chilly, and really cold in Jan-Feb. That’s why I was thinking Top, and taller shield to extend riding time?

The top will only help you out in the summer time to keep the hot sun off of you, the tall wind screen will just give you less air flow in the cockpit in the summer time and might help you out just a little in the winter time. I have just found out with my set up, I can pull the cup holders out and get warm air in the cockpit in the winter time. I have left home many times at 53 degrees to go to the mountains of N.C. or Vir. from Georgetown. I have even left home when a hurricane was making land fall and had to look at the weather radar to see which way was better to get to Maggie, N.C. If it is raining you are still going to get wet unless you are dressed for it. RIDE SAFE

• Dave at DDM works was doing some wind tunnel testing. Maybe new info will come out.

I was hoping to see some smoke video to really see how the air is moving past, around and in the Slingshot.

Now your talking good stuff! I would love to see a smoke video on air flow in cabin, and around the sling. I think it would provide a lot of insight into fume mitigation? Also for aero dynamic accessories👍 Thanks.

• I'm running the same header/exhaust combo along with a F4 +3 windshield with Baker Air Wings and fumes are not a problem for me. I do seem to remember smelling the exhaust a little more with the stock windshield but that may have been from it being new as I got the F4 not long after the exhaust.