The Electric 3 Seater Coupe "Slingshot"

• We have a couple Tesla's here at ZZP so new EVs are always interesting to me. The concept here is cool but it only charges on 120v or 220v so it will charge pretty slow and the ranges are not all that impressive. It's definitely not something you would want to go cross country in unless they developed a massive charging network and had something that charged quicker. What I found interesting though is it has about the same power as a NA slingshot but with double the torque. I'm guessing those numbers are based off the base model and I wonder if going to the largest battery offered would get you more power also? Anyway, kind of a neat read and idea.

https://sondorselectriccar.com/about/

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• I would be extremely curious to see how it pans out and what you think of it. I think the concept is great. You could potentially ride year round and be warm assuming there's no snow in the area.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Spoke to the rep at last years LA auto show. They had done a lot of southern CA testing. Asked them about any wet weather driving concerns and if they had done any testing. Got some perplexed looks. Explained to them the reverse trike hydroplaning issues experienced by SS owners. Explained that most SS owners are kind of vehicle / bike oriented and can look past these things and also understand them. The consumer this is being targeted at may not be as reactive or understanding. maybe both.

Do have a plug in Hybrid but it actually has a very nice big engine as well..... Warming up to the idea. Our particular manufacture has a full version coming out next year and may very well be Tina's next GT.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Nice looking machine, I would consider one if it came with a gas guzzling engine. Still can't warm up to electric. But that is just me. I drove a Tesla pretty cool machine and it had some impressive power.

I designed the prototype tooling and helped machine the first castings for Tesla a few years back.

• Front end kind of looks like a late 90's Prelude crossed with a Mazda, but thats just me. Interesting overall, but theres something about it that I just dont like.... Maybe my brain is having a hard time with the 3 wheel car thing.

• Front end kind of looks like a late 90's Prelude crossed with a Mazda, but thats just me. Interesting overall, but theres something about it that I just dont like.... Maybe my brain is having a hard time with the 3 wheel car thing.

She's alive...

Ready for winter holiday break?!? 😁

Oh and gifts from the kiddos and parents... Just wait for Valentine's Day... Or is that only Elementary school (my setting)?

• I would be extremely curious to see how it pans out and what you think of it. I think the concept is great. You could potentially ride year round and be warm assuming there's no snow in the area.

The concept is pretty solid and since the CEO has some experience producing reality out of crowd source funding, I think it will really get off the ground. I have a 2018 LEAF now and if that thing has no issues in the snow, I am sure a front wheel drive 3 wheelinger would be just fine.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• The concept is pretty solid and since the CEO has some experience producing reality out of crowd source funding, I think it will really get off the ground. I have a 2018 LEAF now and if that thing has no issues in the snow, I am sure a front wheel drive 3 wheelinger would be just fine.

Wow...so lesson learned...don't try and type at 4 am especially if you can't edit your own posts. lol. Wheeler is what it should say not Wheelinger...I'm pretty sure that isn't even a word...

• The concept is pretty solid and since the CEO has some experience producing reality out of crowd source funding, I think it will really get off the ground. I have a 2018 LEAF now and if that thing has no issues in the snow, I am sure a front wheel drive 3 wheeler would be just fine.

The only problem I think would give issues in the snow are the times that the snow/slush is building up in the center of your lane but the wheel areas are clear or just slick but flat. During the snow season here, we get that often enough. Many people will end up in the ditch because they got out of the tire tracks that were more cleared while running at speed. I can only imagine what that rear tire on the 3 wheeler would do on that.... wouldn't be pretty.

• IF that comes to reality, I would consider buying one.

I like the looks of it from the rear, It looks better than the slingshot in the back.

I just bought a Honda Clarity plug in, and in the 1500 miles we have owned it, we have bought ZERO gas.

In fact we have only used 1/4 of a tank of what the dealer put in it, and it only holds around 7 gallons, and using that 1/4 tank was on purpose.

When it needs gas, I plan on putting ethanol free gas in it since it will be sitting in there for probably a year.

A battery powered vehicle would take care of me 95% of the time, but at least with the Clarity's 60 mile range on electric, i have the engine for longer trips, so no range anxiety.

• The reality is most of these smaller electric cars would be awesome for most people as a commuter car. That's actually why I sort of bought my original slingshot - trying to keep the mileage off the old truck then.

The real question is how are they going to get it down to $10K? That's cheaper than most motorcycles at this point. They say they are going to partner with many of the best in the industry to get quality components. I don't see how you keep those suppliers with a profit margin at their side and still keep costs down. That's why Elon Musk/Tesla build everything in house but it's still a very expensive vehicle. Even major quantity manufacturers (Toyota/Chevy/etc) take 17-18 hrs to build a car. So if you figure $100/hr (including overhead - very conservative) you're looking at $2K in labor costs + $1K profits leaving $7K for materials?? Anyone bought a lithium ion battery lately? They run about $150/kWh - meaning the new Tesla Model 3 battery is $7500 alone. And Elon is making that himself.

• The reality is most of these smaller electric cars would be awesome for most people as a commuter car. That's actually why I sort of bought my original slingshot - trying to keep the mileage off the old truck then.

The real question is how are they going to get it down to $10K? That's cheaper than most motorcycles at this point. They say they are going to partner with many of the best in the industry to get quality components. I don't see how you keep those suppliers with a profit margin at their side and still keep costs down. That's why Elon Musk/Tesla build everything in house but it's still a very expensive vehicle. Even major quantity manufacturers (Toyota/Chevy/etc) take 17-18 hrs to build a car. So if you figure $100/hr (including overhead - very conservative) you're looking at $2K in labor costs + $1K profits leaving $7K for materials?? Anyone bought a lithium ion battery lately? They run about $150/kWh - meaning the new Tesla Model 3 battery is $7500 alone. And Elon is making that himself.

I think the numbers are a little skewed when it comes to the Tesla's ...mostly because of the model in how they do business. Sure the Model 3 is "available" at $35K before tax incentives...but no one has been able to actually order that one yet. The actual cost in materials for a Model 3 is roughly $18K and labor is ball parked at $10K. So that's a $28k cost to produce. Now the first several thousand of them all went out at a build price closer to $50K or more. I think the report at one point was the average cost of the long range version that was going out on initial launch was around $49k. I have friends that did the premium interior and upgraded wheels that put them near $56k. And if you want to order a dual motor performance model...it could be closer to $75K. With that being said...they were making upwards of $20-45K per vehicle. That is insane profit in the auto industry. I have heard the profit on the Model S is even higher than that. Tesla has pretty much billed themselves as a luxury brand and people are happy to pay their price, but it doesn't reflect in the cost of manufacturing.

Sondors has always been an interesting business because when electric bikes were hitting the market at $5k...he was able to sell them for around $1200...and some as low as $500. He has a great reputation in the electric world and has always used crowd funding as a source of getting things...this always brings the cost down. If anyone can get it done...it would be him.

Also a side note...just because Tesla is producing their own stuff...that doesn't make it cheaper. I would look at what LG is doing with EV batteries as a good comparison. They mass produce a 60kW battery with thermal protection for substantially less than what Tesla charges for their battery in the 60 kW version of their cars.

• I truly hope you are right @BR 4HM4 But the experts he's relying on for manufacturing expertise are chineese bicycle manufacturers and their hub motors , Currently the only two successful manufacturers of 10kw hub motors are one in the UK and one American firm , both needing over $ 25,000.. for their leading edge technology hub motors with a controller and a battery pack , No vehicle included.

It may be quite a bit of a stretch to think Storm's manufacturing expertise can pull this off, wait a minute, did I say manufacturing expertise , I meant crowd funding , expertise after all, ,what he is famous for is raising millions before seeking the Chineese manufacturing , and finally being able to source chineese bicycles,, only after he had the money.

It just seems very odd to me that he has had a supposed running prototype for almost a year now and has not been able to produce a single photograph showing any mechanical details yet. Certainly, when he does, and he will, convince hundreds to crowd source millions for his manufacturing he may be able to produce something , Hopefully it's not just another case of ELIOSILLYESNESS.

• I've always had a strong interest in electrics. I currently own a gen 2 Volt which is a wonderful vehicle. Years back I had bought a new 4 seat Gem car, modified the crap out of it. It was street registered and would do 60 mph comfortably. The concept for this trike is great and very marketable. A cool looking, inexpensive electric in a 3 wheel version to avoid a host of car required features. Many people would spring for an inexpensive electric as a 2nd vehicle for short commutes, errands, etc and there isn't any competition mainly because they cost too much to produce. The business plan sounds logical and is a great sell for crowd funding. Unfortunately, this will most likely be another dreamer type vehicle like Elio that never transpires. There's lots of this in aviation (Terrafugia, Icon A5 and Samson) which are always looking for investors, quote low starting prices but either wind up never happening or in limited production at greatly increased prices over initial quotes.

• When I can see one, run my fingers over it, sit in it, and have the guy tell me for 10G's you can drive it home, I will toss down 10G's and drive it home.

I learnt my lesson from Elio.

I could have took that 1K, got a hooker and at least got a STD for my money.

Elio just took it and ran, but I guess you can say I got FKED for it.

• My thoughts exactly Flybuddy ,Oh yah and the Terrafugia has always been the most butt ugly design to begin with, then they blamed their rising costs on the unexpected cost of automobile certification requirements , since they went with a four wheel design and had to add airbags etc.

I can remember admiring Kirk Hawkins renderings , talking a $120,ooo sport plane which Quickly became $190,0oo. then the cost was $290,000 plus our world famous Blue Jays pitcher Roy Halladay and Icons own lead designer and another engineer , all dead from low level flight into terrain, But anyway they think they've overcome that now by finally realizing shit happens way to fast at low altitudes so now for $390.,000. they're finally into production and you get a new training syllabus that says never fly below 300 feet AGL . .

Then I thought the Dutch had something with their new PAL V Flying car gyro plane design but oops a little miscalculation there too and it's now amazingly the exact same price of the ICON A5 $390,000.

But the Germans have it all figured out now with their slick looking Aero Mobile which is finally into full production , problem is you'll need $1.3 mill for one of those.

And just in the last couple months Toyota has decided to back a new road capable aircraft , The Cartivator, Sky Drive, it is supposed to be a much more affordable , road capable Drone like aircraft with three wheels and four horizontal electric drone style rotors , It's wild looking but so far It's just a 1/4 scale flying prototype but Toyota is filing patents now . Check this one out

,,slingshotinfo.com/wcf/index.php?attachment/90621/