DDMWorks Short Shifter

• For those who have installed the short throw shifter, did you notice the shifter being louder through the gears after installation? I haven't taken it out on the road yet due to weather, but just noticed it sounded louder than stock when shifting through the gears sitting in the garage with the engine off. I greased everything, but wanted opinions before I tear it apart to add more grease.

Semper Fi

"Will Work for MODs!"

• Yes, I do believe it makes a bit more noise, but nothing I was worried about

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I never noticed the noise. I did notice the extra effort to shift because of the lack of leverage. I wasn't sure for about 75 miles or so, thought early about changing it back. I had been told it wouldn't be something I liked initially, but would love after having it for awhile. By 150 miles, I wouldn't part with it. Now? No way, not even a consideration! Top 5 mods, the shifter must stay. I drove one without the conversion last summer, with stock shifter handle. I felt like I could open the glovebox just shifting to 5th. Short throw is the way to go....

• Yeah, I had short shift in my old mustang and it can’t be beat. I was just concerned that I didn’t grease it enough and that’s why it’s louder, but think it’s just by design.

Semper Fi

"Will Work for MODs!"

• I never noticed the noise. I did notice the extra effort to shift because of the lack of leverage. I wasn't sure for about 75 miles or so, thought early about changing it back. I had been told it wouldn't be something I liked initially, but would love after having it for awhile. By 150 miles, I wouldn't part with it. Now? No way, not even a consideration! Top 5 mods, the shifter must stay. I drove one without the conversion last summer, with stock shifter handle. I felt like I could open the glovebox just shifting to 5th. Short throw is the way to go....

The short shifter was what I have always told everyone to do for their first mod

• Bringing this back up: After installation on my 2nd SS, I noticed that there was a serious "clunk" and effort taken to go into and out of each gear. Going from Neutral, "Clunk", 1st, "Clunk", Neutral, "Clunk", 2nd, "Clunk" etc.

I bought the DDM short shifter again at Huntsville Homecoming for the 3rd SS and mentioned the problem. They said I had installed one of the pieces upside down. So I made ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY sure that I installed it exactly like the instructions show. I even got out the flash light to check inside the transmission while installing and had another person double check the instructions against the install. It's all correct. And the "Clunk" is still there.

Is this clunk normal? I understand that it takes more effort to shift the shorter rod, but this is beyond just muscle power. This is a definite "stop" each time I go into or out of a gear.

I've emailed DDM today, but I just thought I would check on here to see if anyone knew what it might be.

• Email sent back. :)

Talk with you soon,

Dave

• So one of the suggestions was to LIBERALLY apply grease to both the small lower ring and bigger middle plastic ring. Which I did. It does shift MUCH easier now, but the "stop" is still there, more like a detent you have to get over. I'll let it go over time to see how it does. BTW, got a new gear shift knob too: Death Star for my Storm Trooper SS!

• BTW, here's the video I was talking about. You can definitely hear that "clunk" each time I shift into and out of each gear (Sorry, don't know how to imbed the video on this site)

Hey brother,

When was the last time you flushed out your clutch fluid and bled the system?

If you haven't done that in a while I would suggest that as I had the same issue on mine.

Here is all you need besides some Dot 4 brake fluid

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZAE56R/ref=dp_prsubs_1

just use that guy to suck out your reservoir then just use a pair of pliers to disconnect the compression ring on the bottom of the reservoir and separate the feed line. Stick that long tube from the pump as far as you can in that feed line, turn the pump on and at the same time press your clutch 20 or so times as that will force up the old fluid to the pump.

When you can't get anymore out re-attach everything and fill up the reservoir but not all the way and don't put the cap on. Go back in the SS and press the clutch slowly as it will burp the system and start sucking in fluid. Do this a couple of times until the reservoir doesn't empty out after pressing in the clutch.

When that happens and with the cap still off press down firmly and slowly on the clutch 20 or so times to ensure no air is in the system. If your clutch feels sloppy doing this put the tip of your toes behind the clutch petal and pull forward. I have noticed a few SS's have light clutch petals that do not travel all the way back to the home position from time to time and that's why i have a 20LBS spring attached to my clutch petal pulling it back up all the way.

After you bleed the system put the cap back on and try the shifting again.

Hope this fixes you up!

Symptom: The transmission "clunks" when shifting into gear at a standstill.

Cause: The clutch is probably not disengaging properly.

Solution: Increase the air gap setting in the clutch and see if that fixes the problem.

• Well, considering this is a new SS, I hope it wouldn't have problems yet. Got it brand new just before the Huntsville GTG although I do have about 2500 miles on it now (almost 2K of that was Huntsville and back). The same problem was on my 2nd SS that had just at 10K miles on it which is why I asked DDM what I might be doing wrong.

• Well, considering this is a new SS, I hope it wouldn't have problems yet. Got it brand new just before the Huntsville GTG although I do have about 2500 miles on it now (almost 2K of that was Huntsville and back). The same problem was on my 2nd SS that had just at 10K miles on it which is why I asked DDM what I might be doing wrong.

Mine started having this issue at 1600 miles and I was at an official Polaris photo shoot in Downtown Atlanta when it happened the first time. My clutch petal was mushy and no matter how much I pumped it she would not disengage the clutch. That's when Dave@DDMWorks told me to let it cool down and the toe trick pulling back on the pedal.

A quick way to tell if you need to flush this will be to simply open up your clutch reservoir and see if the fluid is nice and clear or murky and dark.

Simply offering up suggestions. Just my .02 brother.