• other than looks does the belt guard really do anything? I was thinking of removing the guard next time I clean my sling so that I can give the belt a good scrubbing and was wondering if it would be a bad idea to just leave it off.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Yea, now you have both sides uncovered instead of just one side. I think it looks pretty good without the guard myself

yea, might look good - I doubt there really is much issue with something getting caught in there any more than with the guard on and it sure would make cleaning the belt easier just to leave it off

• I like the idea; might give it a try myself. Sure would make cleaning the swing arm easier.

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• well I just pulled it off and cleaned the belt, but I ended up putting it back on for the time being. the mounting holes go all the way through into the swing arm and if I decide to remove it permanently I will need screws to put back in the holes. I dont want them open letting dirt or water into the swing arm and the original screws are not threaded all the way and wont screw flush

• that didnt take long - - found two screws for the holes on the side and used the original screw for the hole on the top so I went ahead and took it off

Here is quick cell phone shot - what do you think?

i-c2fmL43-XL.jpg

I think I like this look - - - - and it will sure make cleaning easier

Edited 2 times, last by Edward Neal: better picture - I hate flash ().

• That looks so evil, your the baddest boy on the block now.

• Looks Good just like I said.

• I told you how good it would look. I always just had the after market covers

• Yep - It would look better with a nut cover and perhaps an E-Break cover, but for the moment with my recent addition of the Meansling top and bags my mod money has been temporarily depleted

• Candyman, Dieter can supply that. And Edward Neal, the nut cover ain't too bad... Like $30-$50... Can't recall, but mytoy can share that info...

Oh yea, I know they are reasonably priced, just want to get past Christmas before I spend any more money on myself - - its time to spoil the grandkids :)

• okay, I have to say I am keeping it off. I have been having a bit of squealing from the belt ever since a ride I took a few weeks back where it got very dusty. when I got home from that ride I tried to clean the belt and the sound went away for the most part except when the belt was very cold in the morning. As I said above when I removed the guard last night I wiped down the belt with a towel and gave it a quick cleaning, well this morning, all belt noise was gone coldest morning yet at 42 degrees and it was absolutely silent, not even a chirp. On top of that even the normal angle drive noise was greatly reduced. I am beginning to suspect that the guard might be acting as a sounding board reflecting and amplifying all of the sounds from that area and making them louder in the cockpit

anyway with the guard off it is so much easier to give the belt a thorough wipe down as a part of daily / weekly cleaning that at this point I dont see any reason to put it back