2015-2016 Polaris Slingshot Recall (Taillight Wiring Problem)

• Salem? I didn't know there was a dealer there. I'm near Portland

I doubt that we'll take it that far north, it will either be Salem or Bend, but taking it across the mountains this time of year becomes problematic in itself.............

It sure would be nice being only 15 minutes from a dealer rather than the four hours (plus), as we are.

Bill

• Yep - - my Slingshot now comes up as needing the fix when I use the polaris vin search.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• The thing that irked me about this recall was with my correspondence with Polaris trying to find out why a SlingShot was, or was not, included in this recall so an owner could confirm it for themselves. The last email I received from Polaris was basically a chastising stating that if we had not been notified about this recall to quit bothering them. Then, the very next day, they write back stating that our SlingShot was included after all, and then the official notice immediately afterwards. X(

Bill

• The thing that irked me about this recall was with my correspondence with Polaris trying to find out why a SlingShot was, or was not, included in this recall so an owner could confirm it for themselves. The last email I received from Polaris was basically a chastising stating that if we had not been notified about this recall to quit bothering them. Then, the very next day, they write back stating that our SlingShot was included after all, and then the official notice immediately afterwards. X(

Bill

probably not something they are accustomed to - in the real world how many people research recalls before they have been notified of a recall? You and I and everyone else here are much more connected to this type of information than the average vehicle owner who never even hears about a recall until they get that letter in the mail

You hit them from a direction they were not expecting - you came in with probably as much if not more information about the recall than the people responsible about deciding who should get letters were at that time. You had them playing catch up from the get go

• now that we know our Slingshots are in the recall should we do anything like disconnecting the camera until we can get our slings checked?

• My SS was a base and the dealer installed the camera and other stuff to make it a SL. Just wonder if it still falls into the recall. hmmmm

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• My SS was a base and the dealer installed the camera and other stuff to make it a SL. Just wonder if it still falls into the recall. hmmmm

When I look up my VIN on the polaris site under "remedy" it says this:

"DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE CAMERA AS APPLICABLE. CUSTOMERS WHOSE VEHICLES DO NOT HAVE A POLARIS FACTORY OR DEALER INSTALL ACCESSORY BACKUP CAMERA KIT DO NOT NEED TO BRING THEIR VEHICLES IN FOR INSPECTION. THOSE CUSTOMERS THAT DID PURCHASE AN ACCESSORY KIT WITH BACKUP CAMERA WOULD NEED TO BRING THEIR VEHICLE TO THEIR DEALER FOR INSPECTION/REPLACEMENT."

so I would say you should take yours in

Mine was a base with added windshield and stereo when I ordered in 2015, by the time I received mine, I got a 2016 model base with added windshield and stereo. Mine fell under this recall

• This is really the wrong time of the year to try to plan a day, or more than likely two day, trip to the dealer so we'll prolly not plan on doing the recalls until spring now. In the mean time I think I am going to sneak in and just disconnect the camera, we really don't use it and won't miss it much anyways.

Bill

• Went by my dealer yesterday and found out my wife’s SS actually was on the recall. Seems Polaris is slow at getting their numbers updated. My tech showed me the pic of what to look for on the recall. Just pop your camera housing out and see what connection it has. The round connection is on the recall. The square/rectangular one is ok. She has the round connector. They have ordered the new camera and will notify me when the new one comes in. I will just drop the old one off and get the new one. I will sign off that they have installed it and I will put it in myself. No waiting.

• My tech showed me the pic of what to look for on the recall. Just pop your camera housing out and see what connection it has. The round connection is on the recall. The square/rectangular one is ok.

This then is the OK one?

Now that is exactly the information in which I have been seeking, it appears that we needn't be in any rush to get our SlingShot to the dealer. Thanks bunches dangerdarrell, I really appreciate it!

Bill

An added note, I now am returning to thinking that maybe the camera with the round connector is also the culprit when it comes to the poor radio reception that many have experienced?

bill