2015-2016 Polaris Slingshot Recall (Taillight Wiring Problem)

• after a recall is announced it is always a smart to put your VIN in on NHSTA to see if it applies to you

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCLRPT-18V809-6830.PDF

As the recall is written, all 2015-2016 Slingshots with cameras installed before February of 2016 are subject to this recall. When we specifically check our 2015 by VIN it does not apply to our 2015 SlingShot?

Bill

• Hi William,

Our system suggests that the only outstanding bulletins that need to be completed are the ones in my previous email. Polaris did issue a bulletin in reference to the one you are asking about, however it only applies to certain 2015 and 2016 models. Polaris will notify you if you are affected. If you have any questions, please contact your preferred Polaris dealership for inspection and completion of the bulletins. If there is anything else I can assist you with, please let me know.

Respectfully,

Kami, Representative, Owner Connections

2100 Highway 55 | Medina, MN 55340

http://www.polaris.com | 1-855-863-2284

Just adding a further explanation about the above email, where I have been attempting to find out why some 2015 SlingShots with the camera installed were subject to the recall and others were not, this was my fourth response, and so far all I could get, out of Polaris. I am still trying...............................

Bill

• Well, I just received this response from Polaris:

Contact Polaris

Thank you for your response on case C-6000059-S7L6B3. However, our records indicate that case has been resolved.

Please submit a new inquiry or if you would like to connect by phone, please dial 1-855-863-2284 (Monday-Friday 7 am - 7 pm CST) and an Owner Connections Rep. will be happy to assist.

Bill

• You would probably be better off contacting NHTSA

• You would probably be better off contacting NHTSA

OK, I have contacted both Polaris and NHTSA where neither will explain why specific vehicles are/are not subject to this recall. It appears that we are going to have to take it at their word that this recall does not affect our 2015 SL and that just makes me uncomfortable, especially where the potential for fire is involved..................

Bill

• OK, I have contacted both Polaris and NHTSA where neither will explain why specific vehicles are/are not subject to this recall. It appears that we are going to have to take it at their word that this recall does not affect our 2015 SL and that just makes me uncomfortable, especially where the potential for fire is involved..................

Bill

Probably just need to stay on top of things and check your 'VIN #' from time to time.

• Probably just need to stay on top of things and check your 'VIN #' from time to time.

I have checked several times now and it still comes up as zero recalls. Sling has worked perfectly up until now so I am not going to worry about it.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• OK, I have contacted both Polaris and NHTSA where neither will explain why specific vehicles are/are not subject to this recall. It appears that we are going to have to take it at their word that this recall does not affect our 2015 SL and that just makes me uncomfortable, especially where the potential for fire is involved..................

Bill

I would only guess that it has to do with the part number installed on your machine under your VIN seems like good news

• I would only guess that it has to do with the part number installed on your machine under your VIN seems like good news

And if you are truly worried about Polaris' record keeping and purchasing practices, you can replace it yourself for about 50 bucks and be confident in China's quality control systems...

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• This is not about record keeping per-say. Pre-February 2016 base and SL models with cameras installed are the subjects of this recall, but not all, (there is no mention of different part numbers or any other differences being involved?) After February 2016 a different part numbered camera was installed. What I want to know is what specifically to look for to confirm that our SlingShot is "OK."

Bill

• Oops, would it help to share that the camera in our SlingShot is not the original one that came with it? The original camera that came with ours went ka-put and was replaced within the first month after buying it, so it is not the camera associated with our VIN........................

Bill

• After I got a response from Polaris informing us that our SlingShot should have been included in the recall I then received an "official" notice of the recall, did anybody else also get this later notice?

Bill

Give a shout out when you go to the dealer. You'll only be 15 minutes away from my place