2015-2016 Polaris Slingshot Recall (Taillight Wiring Problem)

• 2015-2016 Polaris Slingshot Recall (Taillight Wiring Problem)

By Gary Ilminen -

November 30, 2018

2015-2016 Polaris Slingshot Recalls

Polaris is recalling 11,371 of certain 2015-2016 Polaris Slingshot, Slingshot SL and Slingshot SL LE motorcycles equipped with a backup camera.

The recall is necessary because the back-up camera may fail internally, possibly melting the voltage regulator and blowing the fuse for that circuit, thereby preventing the taillight from functioning properly.

The taillight malfunction may increase the potential for a crash. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 108, Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment.

Polaris will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and replace the back-up camera, as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin December 6, 2018. Owners may contact Polaris at 1-855-863-2284. Polaris’ number for this recall is T-18-04.

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov . The NHTSA Campaign Number is 18V809000.

• My SS is a base model that someone (dealer) upgraded to an SL model....so I wonder if my camera is safe? It didn’t come off the assembly line....

Is the voltage regulator in the alternator?

Same here, They added the camera and radio.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• Three days after bringing our brand new 2015 SS (#887 off the line) i was out in the garage when suddenly smoke bellowed out from under the rear fin area. Voltage regulator at the camera had burn through. I'm sure there was a flame because there was a hole, not melted. What scared me was the gas tank that was 6" away.

Gave them a complete report back then. Only took three years to have enough cases I guess.

Wonder if my 16.5 model needs to be looked at.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Three days after bringing our brand new 2015 SS (#887 off the line) i was out in the garage when suddenly smoke bellowed out from under the rear fin area. Voltage regulator at the camera had burn through. I'm sure there was a flame because there was a hole, not melted. What scared me was the gas tank that was 6" away.

Gave them a complete report back then. Only took three years to have enough cases I guess.

Wonder if my 16.5 model needs to be looked at.

Not very comforting...

Our 2015 SL is not coming up under this recall.................................

I wonder if this recall will correct the radio reception issue some have had?

Bill

I thought that had to do with the placement and short length of the antenna....behind the radio?

• Ruptured Duck . I am pretty sure that they replaced the back-up camera on my 16.5. I thought it was under a service advisory, not a recall at the time......... It is possible that it was the red '15 SS, but I don't think so. I will know when personal notes comes back on line- every darn thing that happened, or I did to the sling is chronologically listed.

• My 16.5 had the camera replaced; no idea if that had anything to do with currrent recall.

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• checked my VIN a few minutes ago and it isnt coming up yet - this was on the polaris site

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• yet? Since it is an active recall on the NHTSA website, if it doesn't come up now, I wouldn't expect it to

Mine didn't come up either so I figure we got a different product or sourced elsewhere backup camera

I hope you are correct I just went straight to the NHTSA site and checked it there and it also said - - - 0 Recalls

i-xwDGNDR-XL.jpg

• Mine is a converted base model...I’m assuming there will be no base models affected or mentioned (because they don’t ship with a backup camera) .....however my dealer upgraded mine.....so were they obligated to update my info to whomever? In case of a recall issue?

• Mine is a converted base model...I’m assuming there will be no base models affected or mentioned (because they don’t ship with a backup camera) .....however my dealer upgraded mine.....so were they obligated to update my info to whomever? In case of a recall issue?

I doubt that an aftermarket change by the dealer would be included in a recall

• I would be curious to which vehicles this recall specifically addresses?

Bill

Follow link from Post #1 to NHTSA and you will see general and specific information - the investigations and complaints when you review by YEAR MAKE and MODEL. Additionally, within the recall you can see the official reports and chronology

• Follow link from Post #1 to NHTSA and you will see general and specific information - the investigations and complaints when you review by YEAR MAKE and MODEL. Additionally, within the recall you can see the official reports and chronology

To do all that some of us would have to learn to READ....I just sign in to see the pictures....Still looking for the Girls....

• Well, I guess I am good - just checked the VIN again and it still comes up as zero recalls. - - - I would think if my SL were on the list it would show up by now

• Follow link from Post #1 to NHTSA and you will see general and specific information - the investigations and complaints when you review by YEAR MAKE and MODEL. Additionally, within the recall you can see the official reports and chronology

Vehicle Information :

Vehicle 1 : 2015-2016 POLARIS SLINGSHOT / SLINGSHOT SL / SLINGSHOT SL LE
    Vehicle Type : MOTORCYCLES

Body Style : OTHER

Power Train : GAS

Descriptive Information :

All MY15 and MY16 Base models, (no back-up camera was factory installed on these

vehicles but the accessory kit with defective cameras was applicable to these units

accessory kit part number 2880603).

Also all factory installed back-up cameras on MY15 and MY16 VINS up through

February 1st, 2016. These were the Model Years that the defective back-up camera

was used. Production switched to the improved camera on February 1st, 2016 so

VINS starting February 2, 2016 are not included in this affected population.

Production Dates :
    MAR 04, 2014- OCT 26, 2015

VIN Range 1 :

Begin :57XAASFA7F5100001

End : 57XAAPFA7G5110980

Now our VIN is 57XAAPFA3F5104379 and it appears to be within this description?

Bill