GM today announced five plant closures.thoudands out of work within the year

• The younger generation(s) do not want the hassle of ownership, the future will be pay rent and automated public transportation..................

Bill

You will be very, very old before all of that happens. Something else has to get us there. If I were betting, I would say a min. of 50 years for you to even start to see the changes or to get to the point we are at with the electric car today. Oh, it will happen and "MAYBE" my grand children will see it in their lifetime.

• I know I'm probably a little late to this discussion, but listen to what GM is saying: They are closing plants that are making cars that aren't selling. Instead, they are going to focus on Trucks and Autonomous/Electric vehicles. I have to say, GM is actually taking a VERY long-sighted look at this. Realize that "Trucks" mean anything that carries cargo behind the driver - our normal pick up trucks, vans, SUVs, even the Chevy HHR is considered a truck. What they are doing is shutting down the normal gas-powered "people movers" like sedan, coupes, etc. These are the vehicles that will be replaced by driver-less electric vehicles in the future.

Regarding that "vacation" range for electric cars, that's already being worked on. Electric cars are already approaching 300 miles per charge which is well within the range of many gas cars today. Additionally, Elon Musk (Tesla) is building charging stations all around the US right now, currently spaced every 200 miles on the major interstates. Charging times are down to 30 minutes already and will get better. Elon Musk is building a battery plant that's currently bigger than all the other battery plants COMBINED. Think about how often you would stop on a long cross-country vacation - do you really want to drive for 300+ miles without stopping for a restroom, soda, stretch the legs, etc? Imagine what was said 100 years ago when people replaced horses with cars - the same exact thing we're saying now.

So don't say that you won't ever buy an all-electric car - it's probably closer than you think. I'm not sure that I'll see it in my lifetime (I'm in my 50s), but my daughters DEFINITELY will.

• Speaking locally, all of our public busses are in the process of going electric.................

Yup .. left coast politicians throwing tax payer $$ in the street again for virtue signaling ....

Two hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are going on sale this year (until now they have all been test leases) with four more in the next 18 months ...

Every $ they are spending on electric only will be outdated in five years ... all that is holding fuel cell tech back is large scale installation of refilling equipment at current gas stations. The first large vendor to make the jump will set the fuse ....

Fuel cell technology will obsolete current electric tech within five years for many of the anti-electric sentiments listed previously and is the only viable replacement for internal combustion in the US. For the simple fact that a huge # of US drivers will never buy a vehicle they can't pull in, re-fuel quickly, and go on their way ....

..... ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Do the research on why it has taken so long on just the electric. Politics and big business did not want it. They always blamed the battery technology. There are at least 2 doc's (Batteries) on Netflix on this. At least one of the hi tech battery plants was bought out and the tech. shut down. Now just think about oil crises in the 1970's. At the time the real good gas mileage at the time was around 20 mpg. Here we go almost 50 years later and we have between 25 and 35 mpg with a few over that but still most cars on the highway are maybe around 25. So tell me about Big Business and government/politics controlling us.

• Do the research on why it has taken so long on just the electric. Politics and big business did not want it. They always blamed the battery technology

Yep, anything that threatens the status-quo is what get's put off. Too many Politicians, PACs, Lobbyists, etc. Imagine if the oil industry just disappeared overnight. Look what happened to the tobacco industry. The last guy making horse buggy whips did a great job right up to the very end. We need to either learn to change or we're going to die off. I bet that last guy selling hay to horses had the same argument about not enough gas stations for cars.

There's an old Danny Devito movie "Other Peoples Money" (where the buggy whip comment above comes from). It's a great analogy for what needs to happen. We need to re-invent what we're doing. We need to forget we're making gasoline powered cars and instead figure out how to transport people or cargo.

Oh, and BTW, there is a big GM HQ here in Austin. My best friend's son just started there this summer after graduating Texas A&M.

• You guys are missing the main point entirely, this isn't about folks like us that are unwilling to give up our personal vehicle and independence, but rather our offspring which are becoming totally content to let somebody, or something, else do the driving for them! Also, most appear content to stay local where the short range of an electric vehicle does not concern them. In fact, they do not want the hassle of stopping specifically just to refuel, where with an electric vehicle they just plug it in when they get to their destination.

Speaking of refueling, all new construction around here are including automotive charging ports. The malls and other businesses seem to all be adding them. Open your eyes, folks, like it or not but this is happening!

Bill

• You guys are missing the main point entirely, this isn't about folks like us that are unwilling to give up our personal vehicle and independence, but rather our offspring, (the future), which are becoming totally content to let somebody, or something, else do the driving for them! Also, most appear content to stay local where the short range of an electric vehicle does not concern them. In fact, they do not want the hassle of stopping specifically just to refuel, where with an electric vehicle they just plug it in when they get to their destination.

Speaking of refueling, all new construction around here are including automotive charging ports. The malls and other businesses seem to all be adding them. Open your eyes, folks, like it or not but this is happening!

Bill

• You guys are missing the main point entirely, this isn't about folks like us that are unwilling to give up our personal vehicle and independence, but rather our offspring, (the future), which are becoming totally content to let somebody, or something, else do the driving for them! Also, most appear content to stay local where the short range of an electric vehicle does not concern them. In fact, they do not want the hassle of stopping specifically just to refuel, where with an electric vehicle they just plug it in when they get to their destination.

Oh, and has anybody else recognized how travelling by bus is once again coming back in popularity?

Bill

• Open your eyes, folks, like it or not but this is happening!

It may be happening in your corner of the country however it's not happening here at all or in the less dense areas (read: most) of the rest of the US .... and neither are any of the sentiments you ascribe to our "offspring".

...... laugh-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I just heard that Toyota has offered to buy 50% of Chevrolet. The biggest obstacle in making it happen is whether to call the new company Chevy - Ota or Toyo - Let

It's a crap shoot at best

Don't blame me as I'm still recovering and it will take a while to get back into full funny mode

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• The pussification of America needs to stop!! New regulations must be passed that ensures ALL vehicles sold in this great nation, come standard with a minimum of 300HP ~> THAT my dear, is the magic pill which would fix EVERYTHING!!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• The pussification of America needs to stop!! New regulations must be passed that ensures ALL vehicles sold in this great nation, come standard with a minimum of 300HP ~> THAT my dear, is the magic pill which would fix EVERYTHING!!

And at least a 6 speed gear box unless you are transmissionally challenged!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I have a 2017 Silverado with the LS3 and an 8 speed trans.,

Fuel mileage is actually pretty good 22ish on the highway

But on the other hand my 2015 Silverado 2500 HD with the 6.0 sucks fuel like it has a hole in the tank - 14 on the highway and 8 when towing.

MACAWS I'd be happy to be getting 14 & 8 towing :)

I've got a F350 with the V10 that never gets that :(

I read I think it was Motor Trend that every auto manufacturer except for one has a 2.3 to 2.5 liter in line 4 cylinder engine which is the go to engine for pollution and power when used with a turbo. This is the future as of now