GM today announced five plant closures.thoudands out of work within the year

• :(GM just announced five plants to be closed in North America by end of 2019 and two more overseas. Thoudands will be out of jobs permanently. The five to be closed are :

• 1. Oshawa Assembly in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada.
    • 2. Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly in Detroit.
    • 3. Lordstown Assembly in Warren, Ohio.
    • 4. Baltimore Operations in White Marsh, Maryland.
    • 5. Warren Transmission Operations in Warren, Michigan.
    • 6/7. In addition to the previously announced closure of the assembly plant in Gunsan, Korea, GM will cease the operations of two additional plants outside North America by the end of 2019.
  • And then she says they are going to concentrate on electric cars and something else that the American public will not buy. Why do they not build what the American public will buy and with a fair price. It is bad to say that my next vehicle may have to be a truck, standard cab of which they build very few of and only in the work truck if you can find one. There will never be an electric car in my future.

• Not just the auto industry, Harley is feeling the same thing wjfyfe . Apple seems to do OK though, the youth want what they have to offer.

FunCycle, if you can find one, GM full sized truck in work truck form, comes with a 2.7L 4 cylinder that's turbo'd. It puts out nearly as much HP and Torque as my 5.3L does, while averaging (if I remember the write up correctly) 24 MPG combined. Something like 21 city, and 29 highway.

But on to my point. This is really sad, not only for the workers and cities that will be the biggest losers, but also for GM and the state of our government. GM needed bailed out back in 2008 to survive. Why? Because they were building what the people wanted.... trucks. But the Gov shifted that year, and about that time the gas prices also went through the roof. Suddenly, you just about had to give trucks away to move them. People wanted something they could afford to drive. GM had to retool, and get heavier into the small and midsize markets. Now, with gas being cheap, people want trucks and SUV's. So GM is going to focus on those vehicles, along with some electric ones. The electric ones will have a limited market until someone gets the range into "vacation" miles somehow. So, they will have limited sales on those for years to come. The cars they are dropping have had limited sales, and they were not cash cows for GM. The electric ones will be the same. The cash cows are SUV's and Trucks, and they inflate those prices so to show profit overall. Gone are the days of "you get what you pay for". Anyone buying a new truck today, is paying much more than a reasonable cost over a fair profit and build cost. But more importantly, isn't this the path that they (the big automakers) took over a decade ago? All we lack is a disturbance in the middle east, or a refinery to go down, for gas prices to spike back up and the big trucks and SUV's to drop to nothing in sales.

I apologize for the long post to anyone that read this far. I just see the same things circling again for the big three and maybe others. Daimler has already gotten rid of many models of small and midsize cars. Ford is in that process. GM is doing it as we speak. Seems to me we are about to repeat ourselves in history. We are living on a bubble, and pricks are everywhere.......

• Not just the auto industry, Harley is feeling the same thing wjfyfe . Apple seems to do OK though, the youth want what they have to offer.

FunCycle, if you can find one, GM full sized truck in work truck form, comes with a 2.7L 4 cylinder that's turbo'd. It puts out nearly as much HP and Torque as my 5.3L does, while averaging (if I remember the write up correctly) 24 MPG combined. Something like 21 city, and 29 highway.

But on to my point. This is really sad, not only for the workers and cities that will be the biggest losers, but also for GM and the state of our government. GM needed bailed out back in 2008 to survive. Why? Because they were building what the people wanted.... trucks. But the Gov shifted that year, and about that time the gas prices also went through the roof. Suddenly, you just about had to give trucks away to move them. People wanted something they could afford to drive. GM had to retool, and get heavier into the small and midsize markets. Now, with gas being cheap, people want trucks and SUV's. So GM is going to focus on those vehicles, along with some electric ones. The electric ones will have a limited market until someone gets the range into "vacation" miles somehow. So, they will have limited sales on those for years to come. The cars they are dropping have had limited sales, and they were not cash cows for GM. The electric ones will be the same. The cash cows are SUV's and Trucks, and they inflate those prices so to show profit overall. Gone are the days of "you get what you pay for". Anyone buying a new truck today, is paying much more than a reasonable cost over a fair profit and build cost. But more importantly, isn't this the path that they (the big automakers) took over a decade ago? All we lack is a disturbance in the middle east, or a refinery to go down, for gas prices to spike back up and the big trucks and SUV's to drop to nothing in sales.

I apologize for the long post to anyone that read this far. I just see the same things circling again for the big three and maybe others. Daimler has already gotten rid of many models of small and midsize cars. Ford is in that process. GM is doing it as we speak. Seems to me we are about to repeat ourselves in history. We are living on a bubble, and pricks are everywhere.......

Back to the work truck, with the so called cost savings I would have to add comfortable seats, lower the suspension down to where I would want it and install tires and rims just to start with. May even have to change the motor out to get an LS in there. Well with all of that , it just means I would not be buying a new truck anyway. So Buy the older one and use the real cost savings to make it like I would want. You see there are only two cars on the market today that I would even think about buying, Corvette and the Mustang but it is a Ford. I have owned only one truck and it was a Ford truck, when we quit with the dirt bikes the truck also had to go. All of this just to say there will be no new Chevy's in my future.

• I have a 2017 Silverado with the LS3 and an 8 speed trans.,

Fuel mileage is actually pretty good 22ish on the highway

But on the other hand my 2015 Silverado 2500 HD with the 6.0 sucks fuel like it has a hole in the tank - 14 on the highway and 8 when towing.

I do not want a 3 or 4 door truck, matter of fact I do not want a truck at all. But it looks like that is all they are going to leave us is "TRUCKS"

• I do not want a 3 or 4 door truck, matter of fact I do not want a truck at all. But it looks like that is all they are going to leave us is "TRUCKS"

Just out of curiosity I went to both Chevy and GMC online to see what a base W/T stripped was priced at. Only thing you can get now is a double cab (close to the old extended cab) or a crew cab. They aren't offering a single cab anymore. Maybe they didn't last year either. I'm out of the loop, haven't looked at them in years. I only buy used, although I did buy my SS new. Next one likely will be used though.

• Just out of curiosity I went to both Chevy and GMC online to see what a base W/T stripped was priced at. Only thing you can get now is a double cab (close to the old extended cab) or a crew cab. They aren't offering a single cab anymore. Maybe they didn't last year either. I'm out of the loop, haven't looked at them in years. I only buy used, although I did buy my SS new. Next one likely will be used though.

They will not release single cabs till after the first of the year.

They do the 2500 first / the the 1500 / then the WT

I think they just wait to purge 2018 inventory.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Just out of curiosity I went to both Chevy and GMC online to see what a base W/T stripped was priced at. Only thing you can get now is a double cab (close to the old extended cab) or a crew cab. They aren't offering a single cab anymore. Maybe they didn't last year either. I'm out of the loop, haven't looked at them in years. I only buy used, although I did buy my SS new. Next one likely will be used though.

Yea, I did the same thing thing last year and they still had them listed. You could not just punch it up, they made it hard to find.

• And then she says they are going to concentrate on electric cars and something else that the American public will not buy. Why do they not build what the American public will buy and with a fair price. It is bad to say that my next vehicle may have to be a truck, standard cab of which they build very few of and only in the work truck if you can find one. There will never be an electric car in my future.

I believe that you are incorrect with this thinking where the car of the future will be the auto-driving automobile where a person can just let the vehicle take them to where they want to go and the rider(s) can sit back and play with their phone or tablet..............

Bill

• I believe that you are incorrect with this thinking where the car of the future will be the auto-driving automobile where a person can just let the vehicle take them to where they want to go and the rider(s) can sit back and play with their phone or tablet..............

Bill

Sad but most likely true the younger generation has no idea what they are missing giving up the freedom of getting in a machine you love and driving anywhere you want to go. Along with the self diving car will come control of where you can and can not go.....

Freedom will just be a memory to us old farts

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I believe that you are incorrect with this thinking where the car of the future will be the auto-driving automobile where a person can just let the vehicle take them to where they want to go and the rider(s) can sit back and play with their phone or tablet..............

Bill

Good luck with that, they cannot even get enough people to buy electric. Maybe in 50 years, yea the real future

• Sad but most likely true the younger generation has no idea what they are missing giving up the freedom of getting in a machine you love and driving anywhere you want to go. Along with the self diving car will come control of where you can and can not go.....

Freedom will just be a memory to us old farts

Muscle's will be History at about this same time. The only muscle's in use will self satisfaction and wiping their ass. Sorry about that but the truth is the truth and no way to sugary coat it.

• This news is so sad... ;(

Gone are the days of boys-and-their-toys growing up to be men who like American Muscle. I mean, FFS ~> Whatever happened to the entire post Gen-X population??!! Seems like my daughter has more love for "going fast" than all the boys her age (and that SUCKS)!!! :thumbdown:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• There will brand new company's before all of this comes to pass. If Ford, Chev. and Mopar will be dead and gone "BROKE" before this comes to pass if they do not build what will sell now. I can say one thing about myself, I will find it hard to buy anything that can only go 200 miles and I have to park for how long? before I can continue my trip. How long do you think the transfer will take? How long have they been trying to do electric?