Increase in Used Slingshot Sales, Why

• I have been seeing an awful lot of Slingshots for sale on the internet lately, and most have many mods but ALL seem to have Very, Very little mileage. Saw one today 2017 SL and they are asking $25,000 with less than 2000 miles. What is this becoming, a status symbol like a Harley where you buy one and keep it in your garage unless, it's an nice warm, sunny day and then only ride around the block just so you can tell your friends you own one. If that's the only reason someone bought one, then that's pathetic.

Mine is a 2016 Limited Edition, and I just turned 45,000 miles. Bought mine to ride not to just polish and keep garaged so I can say I own one.

Just my thoughts, what are yours

Life is simple ... you're either "Qualified or you're Not'

• You pretty much hit it on the nail head. MOST people buy them for weekend entertainment or warm Sunday rides. Like most bikes they are usually not daily rides. We picked up Nuc ‘em with about 4K back in May, pushing 11k now.

I think we will see a number of very lightly used Slings in the future. My last three bikes all had less than 6k on them when I picked them up. And they were all about five years old. Cool.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• I've bought lots of barely used toys in my life. Some folks must have toys they don't need or can't afford. I appreciate other people taking the hit, their bad money management is someone else's gain. New and shiny doesn't last long for some people.

• I've bought lots of barely used toys in my life. Some folks must have toys they don't need or can't afford. I appreciate other people taking the hit, their bad money management is someone else's gain. New and shiny doesn't last long for some people.

I agree with Red. Motorcycles, quads, RVs, camp trailers, snowmobiles, and now Slingshots are all subject to impulse buys. Because these are discretionary items, manufacturers typically provide attractive financing options to attract the 'monthly payment' buyers. Status probably plays into this as well but it's pretty easy to walk into a showroom, see something that looks like fun, and determine that 'I can have that for $X a month? I can afford that. I'd really like to ride/camp/travel/play with that.' Then it sits in the garage or driveway because you actually have to get up and go to use it and it's not part of their lifestyle. Once the payments are done, it gets sold. Sometimes sooner.

I had a neighbor who bought a new camp trailer, used it twice in 5 years then sold it to buy another new trailer that they never took out once before it was sold. Same guy bought a new quad, took it out for two vacations in two years then sold it to me for less than half price. A couple years later he bought two new quads that left the garage one time in 5 years. Go figure. I bought a used camper that was valued at $9,500 for $4,000 because the dentist who bought it didn't like to load it and wanted to buy a pull trailer for a camping trip planned for the next week.

The Slingshot is probably more susceptible to impulse buying than most items because of it's uniqueness and visual impact. Then it takes up an entire spot in your garage and if you're not riding it, it is in the way. I bet if you took a poll, many of the low mileage Slingshots for sale are owned by people who do not have a motorcycle riding background. I believe that many of the bike riders are buying these to extend the riding career that they have loved (I'm in this category) and are highly satisfied with their usage. Others find out that it's windy, loud, exposed to the weather,the radio sucks and your hair gets mussed up, with or without a helmet. If you are not a rider, or don't become one, it's no deal.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

I keep mine for a long time and try to wear them out --- and keep them shinny for aa long time.

In the last year or so many states dropped the MC license requirement and more "car" reviews where pushed to the consumer so the number of uninformed and impulse buys jumped dramatically.

New unit sales where in the toilet in FL but spiked just after the license requirement change. It's not like a MC that takes up a relatively small area in the back of the garage if not ridden that often so now the used market is flooded depressing new sales even further than before. Good to reduce inventory, bad for the future.

..... ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I’ve had many motorcycle since 1972....time to ride is the biggest reason to sell....

If you have a full time job...ride time is limited. If you don’t live in a southern state with lots of nice weather your ride time is limited.

Seems like for me anyway, all the good riding time weather wise occurred while I was at work. Soon as I get out it rains...or it’s chilly. People buy motorcycles because they want fun...bad riding weather isn’t fun. This year was pretty crappy for riding because of all the rain we had.....if I had a full time job my rides would have been very limited....but I was able to ride either before or after the rain so I was able to ride at least 5 days a week. I did miss many good nights to ride because of work. Seemed like on the best weather nights I had to work.

The other big factor I think, is the way you have to ride the SS. You can’t double up in a lane like on two wheel bikes. And there aren’t that many people to ride with. Solo riding which is 99.999999999 % of my riding is fun but not as much fun as it could be with others....to ride with. My girl friend isn’t all that into my SS. Still makes for a solo ride.

I would say lack of riding time is the biggest reason for so many used SS. It’s not boredom. It’s not from lack of attention.

• As it has already been mentioned many SlingShots are purchased by impulse buyers. Unfortunately, there is usually very little research put into an impulse buy where many of these folks believe that are purchasing a "sports car. " We have seen it on the forum(s) from the very beginning that the folks that bellyache the loudest about the SlingShot are the ones that are comparing it to a "car." Consequently, after owning their SlingShot for a short period, they quickly become aware of their "mistake" and back on the market it goes.

Bill

• I agree with most of the posts here. I suspect that many people buy the Slingshot as a toy, and when the toy ends up sitting they sell it and move on to a new toy.

I highly suspect that I am one of the very few people who actually bought their slingshot to be the primary mode of transportation. not many people live in a place where the slingshot or a motorcycle can make a good daily driver

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I agree with most of the posts here. I suspect that many people buy the Slingshot as a toy, and when the toy ends up sitting they sell it and move on to a new toy.

I highly suspect that I am one of the very few people who actually bought their slingshot to be the primary mode of transportation. not many people live in a place where the slingshot or a motorcycle can make a good daily driver

That makes two of us, that is why I have 75,000 miles on mine

• with that kind of driving I think you 2 should take a ride out west and visit

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• You guys also forgot to mention that many slingshot are purchased by people with multiple toys and also by people with very busy lives that might not allow them(us) to ride often, not everyone who owns a slingshot is a retired person with nothing else to do or lives in a part of the country that permits them to drive often.

For example I love my slingshot but due to MN weather and work I was getting very little riding time since I am spending a lot of time in NYC for work....... my solution to the problem was to buy another slingshot which i keep in NYC but many reasons also prevent me from riding when there, so that sling also doesn't get as many miles as i would like.

So when the day comes that I decide to sell one or both they will have very low miles not because I didn't want/like to ride them but because of a busy life schedule.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

Edited 2 times, last by Neosolidus ().

• So what are you? Let me guess... a Marvel comic book super hero? I mean I would really hate for my life to take up all my life, if I did that I wouldn't have time to come here and have fun. Ya know what I mean?

I agree with a lot of what you said but location and willingness to ride in the heart of the Biker. Many of us her use the Slingshot as our Primary Ride and ride year round. I'm in the Upstate of South Carolina and winters here get down to the single digits at night and day time if lucky hit a high of about 45. I ride with heated clothing, thermals, even a snowmobile suit, all depends on the weather and temps. Today left out and it was 42, by time I got home it had warmed up to 47, nice ride about 90 miles.

My point is, is that for some of us this is the same calling our bikes had for us, the need to ride, to feel the wind in your face, and nothing better than an early morning ride in the brisk cool air to energize yourself.

Many on this forum know my story, but to put it simply, the Slingshot SAVED my life after 5 years housebound, I'm free again.

Life is simple ... you're either "Qualified or you're Not'

• I think the issue of the Slingshot not being enough like a car for some people is a good and valid statement, but I'll expand the thought a little more.

We as a culture are addicted to comfort and ease of living. Everything has a gadget or widget to make it more comfortable, or easier to accomplish.

The Slingshot can only be made just so comfortable. You're gonna get hot. You're gonna get cold, or wet, or dirty....and I think a lot of people aren't up for that kind of fun anymore.