Lug nuts are terrible. Change them while you can.

• one of my lugnuts got stripped today..ordering the summit racing ones.. *sigh*

Sorry to hear that.....

Just use a 1/2 inch drive socket that will fit over the stripped lug snuggly. And then find the biggest drill bit that will fit into the 1/2 drive end. use the socket as a guide to drill the lug nut and wheel stud out.

• They should throw a man in to ride behind you and change them when they need changing for what those cost.

My Asanti wheels were not that expensive. Pretty reasonable from Discount Tire! As for lug nuts Sick Speed are great. Light and u can do different colors and styles

• Some of Asanti wheels are actually fairly reasonable. I went with a true 3 piece wheel custom built to the exact same specs as the OEM wheels because it was necessary for the wheel to sit square inside the fender I had added. Additionally I did not want to change speedo reading or traction control.

I promise ya didn't pick these up at Discount Tire!! :(

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• This was one of the first threads I read when I cam to this forum. It's been on my "Need To Do Because @rabtech Warned Me" list.

Have a local car show tomorrow for charity and I thought today would be a good time - what a PITA! Rab wasn't lying in his warning.

Anyway I had ordered these a while back knowing I was going to replace my lug nuts on my terms - that's right @Tripod ever since my ex-wife hit the bricks it's been my nuts on my terms

So I grabbed my breaker bar and my 11/16 socket [use a 17mm] and decided to go at it real slow and maybe luck would be on my side.

Started with the passenger side front and was moving the breaker bar real slow and DAM she slipped off. Oh so it's going to be like this huh. Tried to line up the socket and I could already feel where the stock lug had rounded off edges. One more try and BAM she slipped again.

Enough of this lug, I'll get even with it later so I moved on to the next lug nut and again going real slowly and BAM she started to loosen. On to the next thinking I had my bad one and it was going to be smooth sailing from here and BAM damn thing slipped. Just like before the cheap bugger without enough surface grip space was stripped. At this point I'm thankful that the Slingshot only has 3 wheels but the language coming from the garage would make you think the entire Pacific fleet was nearby for the swearing going on. The rest of the passenger side lug nuts came off without a problem.

I moved to the rear wheel and with a lot of apprehension started loosening the lugs - hey they all came off with no problems. Now on to the drivers side. Just as things started on the passenger side, the first lug ended up being stripped. Good news - the rest of the drivers side came off without a problem.

Well I was NOT going to try to drill these darn things out so I went to the tool bench for an old Christmas or birthday gift that I had never used. It was time to see if the Irwin Bolt-Grip was good as it sounds. Thankfully there is an 11/16 [use a 17mm] in the pack so I knew I was about to show this Polaris lug nuts just who was boss.

I attached the 11/16 Irwin to the breaker bar and started to slowly remove and I could feel the teeth bite in and start to loosen the lug.

Without a doubt the Irwin Bolt-Grip made the lug nuts unusable but I already knew I wouldn't use them because they slipped and everyone was saying to replace them.

Got all the old lugs off and the new on and torqued to 75 ft lbs and I think the new ones look good.

Don't forget to retorque after 50 miles

Thanks for the original post and all the info that fallowed - it is just another example of what a great community this - folks sharing their knowledge so that others can benefit

• This was one of the first threads I read when I cam to this forum. It's been on my "Need To Do Because @rabtech Warned Me" list.
    Thanks for the original post and all the info that followed - it is just another example of what a great community this - folks sharing their knowledge so that others can benefit

Hey, man. Great writeup, and thanks for the review on those Irwin jobbies. I've looked at those a couple times, thought about getting them for "just in case," and never did. Now I will.

• Hey Ross, why 11/16?? they are metric not standard. I my self have not had any issue with them using my Metric socket.

• Eventually the stock lugs will fail. They are not SOLID. They will wear down and deform aND the non believers will believe...

If you don't take your wheels of but a coupleasure times a year then you will be ok. I take mine off at least once a week and clean them. And I check my brakes and bushings about once a week.

• Eventually the stock lugs will fail. They are not SOLID. They will wear down and deform aND the non believers will believe...

If you don't take your wheels of but a coupleasure times a year then you will be ok. I take mine off at least once a week and clean them. And I check my brakes and bushings about once a week.

and now you have 510 more reasons to do that more regularly!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!