SLINGSHOTS IN THE SMOKIES 2019

• I live in NC and often check the helmet law out for autocycles. Check out NC HB211 (2019-2020 session) that has been introduced and passed in the House and Senate. It is currently in the Rules and Operations of the Senate. There is an amendment embedded in the bill that does away with helmets for autocycles in NC eff 1 July. Since it is buried in the overall bill, it has a great chance of being passed. However, there is still a helmet law in NC buy often ignored by Highway Patrol and Maggie Valley police. Beware other places.

• Can anyone give me a ball park estimate of how many miles most of the rides are? I’m trying to determine if I can run E85 and just bring a barrel with me or switch back to gasoline and not bring a barrel. I get about 110mi out of a tank of E85. Based off that will I have enough fuel to make most of the rides?

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Kyle D here are the group rides and duration. I remember seeing one that had miles on it posted somewhere and I will look for it. Most of us just splinter off and go..... where ever but usually stop and get fuel while we are out.

hope this helps.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• Kyle D 110 miles be pretty tight … there are lots of gas stations long most of the routs and generally the rides will stop along the way. Most of the guys who have been there a time or two don't go on the "listed" rides --- groups generally to big. You'll find plenty of guys who will invite you to tag along --- same routs not so many Slingshots….

• Maggie Valley income is based on tourism. They cater to many different interests and groups year round. It's a small town and the pace is slow.

For that reason, they are a little more tolerant with us.

However, Law Enforcement Officer's will step up if you insist on being a public nuisance, i.e., smoking donuts centerline Main Street, jumping the fountain at the fairgrounds... I think you get the point, have fun but don't be that idiot.

Helmets...

As for helmets, Maggie Valley LEO's are pretty lenient with us in the Slingshot. However, if you point your Slingshot alone or in a small group in any direction some distance from Maggie Valley, you might incur an unplanned stop with other Law Enforcement Officers. So, have a helmet with you and one for the passenger.

Could be the difference between a ticket and a see ya later.

Kyle D

As for gas, fill up every evening before you park your ride. You may have a plan for the next day, but end up surprised as to how far your day took you. In other words, be ready to ride when you wake up.

Weather...

Last year's event suffered the remnants of a tropical depression. Which was, depressing.

What you should expect...

Expect mornings to be cool and brisk with heavy dew accumlations... jackets and SS seat covers minimum.

Average day time temps 66 - 78F, lower temps in the mountains. In the valley, you will probably be shucking the jacket around 9am. Most hotels provide clean ratted out towels for wiping down your ride. But, you won't be the only one needing those.

Night time temps average around 49 - 56F.

Clouds and rain....

Expect to see clouds daily due to the terrain of this area. Spotty rain showers between 3 and 5pm are not uncommon. Usually short duration should you find yourself in that spot. Hopefully this year will be the norm. Keep in mind that any downpour in the twisty hills could add debris to the roads and make that next curve a hazard.

Feel free to chime in...

I am ready to have some fun...

Slingshot needs an oil/filter change and clutch fluid replaced. Mmmmmmkay...:rolleyes:

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• That's about what i get per tank also. Didn't make that much difference per tank even after i put on my Supercharger.

With the wife in there any way.:thumbsup:

Wow! When you find yourself near the edge....

JUMP!

cause that push is coming!

And I'm gonna assume that you meant that as she regulates your throttle foot...

But, bet she doesn't hear it that way.:D

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• At Kyle D. I will be in Maggie and have been to that area quite a bit, Lets try to meet up and go on a few rides, there are gonna be 3 other SS coming down with me so that would make a nice size group.

'It's about the ride not the destination"

• A local TV station has a unit that can run E85 --- when they tested regular vs E85 costs were very close to the same. E85 costs less --- less miles per gal & regular a little more cost but considerable more miles per gal. Regular gas was the Best deal...

My mechanic generally burns 91/93 oct even in his vechiel that is E85/reg rated.

• A local TV station has a unit that can run E85 --- when they tested regular vs E85 costs were very close to the same. E85 costs less --- less miles per gal & regular a little more cost but considerable more miles per gal. Regular gas was the Best deal...

My mechanic generally burns 91/93 oct even in his vechiel that is E85/reg rated.

But the cost all the way around is more than gasoline, including pollution

• Kyle D silly question??? Why run E85 and get 110 miles per tank --- My engine is naked and I run 91 at min and always try to get 93 and get 200 + miles to the tank ---

when my empty light comes on I can sometimes put 8.2 gals in the tank.

E85 burns 20-40% faster than 93 and has a higher octane rating. With the amount of boost I am pushing, if I put 93 octane in my tank I would have a rod flying out the side of my block faster than a knife fight in a phone booth is over.

• Saw a show on Velocity today discussing E-85 conversion, the increased power, cooler running, and ability to use premium when E-85 wasn’t available with no issues. Have to look into this more closely.

Terrible idea if you're boosted. You could get away with it in a boosted application if you were to stay out of boost and you were just cruising along to get to the next station but the risk is too high for me personally.

• Saw a show on Velocity today discussing E-85 conversion, the increased power, cooler running, and ability to use premium when E-85 wasn’t available with no issues. Have to look into this more closely.

There are a lot of differences when running the 2 different fuels, that require either a different tune or a alcohol sensor that allows the ECM to adjust.

One of the big differences is the target air/fuel ratio's for E85 and 93 octane are completely different. 93 octane pure gasoline has a stoichiometric air/fuel of 14.7:1 where E85 has a ratio of 9.85:1,

E85 tunes also have very different ignition timing maps compared to 93 octane tunes also.

Flex fuel vehicles have a alcohol content sensor for the fuel and blend the timing and target air/fuel ratio to adjust for the different conditions needed with the different fuels. Some of the aftermarket conversion E85 kits also include alcohol sensors to blend the fueling and timing correctly. However, if you just take a vehicle tuned for 93 and put in E85 it will not run very well at all because of the incorrect air/fuel and timing advance. I am guessing that the conversion that they were talking about on Velocity had one of those sensors or someway to adjust to the alcohol content.

When boosted like Kyle D , the problems with air/fuel and timing advance are even more important, as the margin for error when running higher boost is very narrow. Also, the E85 is giving a cooling effect that the 93 octane does not provide, making the engine also more prone to pre-detonation. Running 93 octane in a boosted engine tuned for E85 octane causes rapid disassembly of the engine ;) There are certain aftermarket ECM's though that can use an alcohol sensor and adjust the air/fuel ratio, ignition timing, etc on the fly to adjust as needed though without having to completely retune with the changes in gas.