Dual Canadian Headlight Conversion Kit compared to Stock Headlight.

• New owners and members I feel there is a key word to the Canadian headlight kit that I have left out of the true product name. “Conversion”. I am following in @edwardaneal and his thinking, understand the product you are attempting to install on your Slingshot. As he has pointed out, read ALL installation instruction before purchasing. Watch closely for “limitations” and “restrictions” for the product. Always check with your state laws for operating the Slingshot using the product you intend to install.
    Through the progress of this threads development, I have learned a lot more about some limitations and possible legal restrictions. With the word “ conversion”, this product sounds more to be a change from USA headlight system to a Canadian headlight system. This would mean disabling the two Center headlights. Who would want to do that. Folks that want to add a special design to the hood or front area and need to remove the center headlight. When they remove the center headlights, there would have to go to the conversion kit.
    I am in the process of retuning to Florida, I will be addressing all issues with this product along with video for key areas of discussions.
    New owners, as you can see, our website will be valuable knowledge base. All of us learn something,including me, with participation in discussions. If you are a guest, join as a member and be a part of our discussions.

• just one thought to add to the conversation - I dont remember where exactly I read this, but I remember reading that the reason for the difference in the lighting between the Canada and USA slingshots is because in the U.S. to be legally classified as motorcycle center headlights are a legal requirement.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL
    JRI GT coil overs, DDMWorks short shifter
    Twist Dynamics Sway Bar with DDMWorks mounts

• Just remember in almost all states it is ILLEGAL to run more then Four headlamps at one time.

Just to remind everyone, you can get a ticket in Texas for more than four headlights, unless you get a state trooper that just wanted to see your ride. Just a warning. But be advised that I have stock lights but two fog lights that work also as blinker.

JUST SAYIN

Keep Three Wheels Down

• just one thought to add to the conversation - I dont remember where exactly I read this, but I remember reading that the reason for the difference in the lighting between the Canada and USA slingshots is because in the U.S. to be legally classified as motorcycle center headlights are a legal requirement.

Well that just complicates this even more. It may be that in Florida, you can not have 4 bright light Headlight system and you are requires to have center Headlights. I will reaseach all of this and we may have to make some changes to the Bright option for only one set of bright lights working at a time. When on daylight low setting we could have the Canadian headlights wired for Bright option, when on bright setting, we have only center headlight bright option. This would give us only two sets of brights at one time and give us bright option for daylight driving for best viability. So we may be able to be legal and get the best out of our Canadian Headlight option. As far as 6 Halogen, I think we should avoid that option and not risk a chance of overloading our Current draw and have our lights fail during driving. thanks again, @edwardaneal, We leave for Florida on Tuesday.

Florida Requirements for headlight on Motorcycles. Check your State for your requirements and we will look at our options.

Here is what I have found so far about Headlight requirements for Motorcycle Classification as we are under as a sub classification of Autocycle. There is a statement and regulation about Motor-Driven Cycles. I think that may be bicycles with a motor installed to propel the bike. It should like we really do not have anything to worry about the number of headlights or how many bright lights we have from what I am reading. Please help if you have additional information.

Florida Statutes total index for vehicles.

Statutes & Constitution
    :View Statutes
    :

Online Sunshine

Statutes & Constitution
    :

Online Sunshine

Statutes & Constitution
    :

Online Sunshine

I can not find anything on the number of Headlights except there must be two, one on each side of vehicle. There are also visibility distant requirements. Just look at the Statue section 316 and see if anyone can find any other restrictions.

• I did find this in the California code:

25650.5. Every motorcycle manufactured and first registered on and after January 1, 1978, shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two headlamps which automatically turn on when the engine of the motorcycle is started and which remain lighted as long as the engine is running. This section does not preclude equipping motorcycles used as authorized emergency vehicles with a switch to be used to turn off the headlamp during emergency situations or when the light would interfere with law enforcement, if the switch is removed prior to resale of the motorcycle.

I remember reading that the outside lights on the US slingshots are not considered headlights, they are marker lights which is why they dont have both the high and low beams like the center lights

As you said above - this all can get very complicated. We have federal laws that all of us should comply with and then we have the different state laws which we have to deal with - - -and when dealing with lighting this can be even a bigger issue for those of us who like to drive our slingshots across state lines

Personally I think I will just leave my lighting as is. California is not fond of lighting mods especially colored lights.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL
    JRI GT coil overs, DDMWorks short shifter
    Twist Dynamics Sway Bar with DDMWorks mounts

• I am thinking again like you, You may want to think hard as to what you want to do in this area of Headlight Modifications. This is getting Much too involved to try to give guidance as to what will meet all the state requirements for all the states. I think at this point all I can do is advise each new owner to use the information in this thread to help you arrive at the best decision for you and your Slingshot, there are so many issuers that I don't think we can give a clear direction for you. Looks like the best solution is to leave this area of Headlight Mods alone unless you are willing to take on the challenges we have outlined so far.

• If you do the HID lights just be sure to have them on two separate circuits. If the fuse blows you do not want to lose all of your heaad lights

• In Oregon,

"To be street legal, a motorcycle or moped must have:

• A white headlight, illuminated at all times. Motorcycles must have at least one, but not more than three, white headlights. Modulating headlights are allowed during daylight hours.
    • At least one red taillight with a red stop lamp.
    • At least one red reflector on the rear, one white license plate light, one rear-view mirror and a horn.
    • Turn signal lights.
    • Fenders on all wheels.
    • At least one brake operated by hand or foot.
    • An exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation. The exhaust must prevent the discharge of any visible emissions and keep noise levels at or below standards set by the Department of Environmental Quality.
    • A valid license plate mounted to be easily read and plainly visible from the rear."

As you can see, off of the showroom floor the SlingShot is already out of compliance with several Oregon regulations. Would it be illegal to purchase a motorcycle in Canada and bring it to the United States? No! Reality, as well as common sense, is speaking to me saying that as long as the headlights do not become a hazard to other traffic, chances of getting pulled over would be slim to none.

Bill

• You are right, use good judgement, if caught by a cop, ask forgiveness. Thanks, @wjfyfe for your research.

• Took Snazzy out for a Headlight Projection View of Headlights prior to Aiming Adjustment check. The camera is mounted at eye level so you can get the same view I did. Looking at the video, it is pretty close to what I saw. This is all 6 headlights with LEDs. When on bright, there are 4 headlights that are bright. I must say, I never drive at night. This is the only time, just for testing. For me, the Full display of 6 headlights give me a feeling of being seen when driving in the daytime. The big thing I like about the LEDs is the White Light, I am not that impressed with it firing up the road with great light. I will do this test ride again and see what we get. I was wearing sunglasses, but did low for a quick view of the real view and it is close to the view on the video.

Deleted original video due to low light level capture of GoPro and Here is the Dash Cam Video result that show the real light conditions closer to real.

• Now, let's see some others Headlights for a night run. Mine do not look that bright to me. I am hoping when I check the adjustments that I will be able to improve them for a brighter display. Come on give us a snap shot if not a video, I want to see others headlights to compare.

• When I installed my original SSO CH units, I also installed the MH4LED bulbs in the CH and outer auxiliary headlights. As part oft hat install, the SSO instructions said to use a screwdriver to bend down the baffle in the outer auxiliary headlight to provide more light. Since the CH units also have a baffle with left-hand dip, I'm thinking about switching the dual-brightness MH4 LEDs in the CH units to the outer auxiliary headlights to see if I get more light from the modified outer auxiliary headlights. This will effectively swap the CH dual-beam units to the outside and the auxiliary headlights to the inner position. We're expecting rain the next few days and after having experienced a slide on the Interstate during tonight's heavy rains when I hit a large puddle, I'm in no hurry to go back out in rain, so I'll test it when I get around to it.

• When I installed my original SSO CH units, I also installed the MH4LED bulbs in the CH and outer auxiliary headlights. As part oft hat install, the SSO instructions said to use a screwdriver to bend down the baffle in the outer auxiliary headlight to provide more light. Since the CH units also have a baffle with left-hand dip, I'm thinking about switching the dual-brightness MH4 LEDs in the CH units to the outer auxiliary headlights to see if I get more light from the modified outer auxiliary headlights. This will effectively swap the CH dual-beam units to the outside and the auxiliary headlights to the inner position. We're expecting rain the next few days and after having experienced a slide on the Interstate during tonight's heavy rains when I hit a large puddle, I'm in no hurry to go back out in rain, so I'll test it when I get around to it.

I have the SSO headlights also. Sound like you are getting a similar display projection. Will look forward to seeing your night test ride. Be safe, wait for good conditions. My road has no street lighting, which really test a headlight system. Thanks for your input to this thread.

• I have made some observations that a lot of folks are installing Front LED Light Bars, I have seen Slingshots with two, one mounted at the spoiler on both sides and some with one long long one mount just under the Center Headlights. Not driving at night, I did not know that the lights, even with LED is not a thing to should about. I have made some preliminary checks of my headlight aiming and I do not think its is far out if any. I now see that these folks want to see better for night driving, so some of you folks that have light bars mentioned, please give us your opinions or thoughts about this. We may be discovering that Light Bars may be the true answer to good lighting for night driving. Give us some night snap shots or a video to show the results.

• One problem to keep in mind when trying to use a camera to catch headlight output is most modern cameras automatically adjust their settings and this may make it hard to tell if a headlight or bulb really offers increased light output.
    I downloaded an app that is supposed to allow me to use my phone's camera as a light meter in hopes I can try measuring light output at different distances. I have yet to try this app.

• One problem to keep in mind when trying to use a camera to catch headlight output is most modern cameras automatically adjust their settings and this may make it hard to tell if a headlight or bulb really offers increased light output.
    I downloaded an app that is supposed to allow me to use my phone's camera as a light meter in hopes I can try measuring light output at different distances. I have yet to try this app.

I know what you are saying, but what I saw was pretty close to the video. I think the camera can make it better than it really is or worse. I do have another camera that I can capture more light and may use it to check how it does. My Dash Cam works well for night stuff. I hope someone with the light bars will give us a look at how they perform. Thanks for your help on this subject.

• @BKL pointed out something that is a factor in my previous video of the Headlight Projection Display. I used a GoPro for my 1st video and it does not do the best job at low lighting. I have remade another video using my Dash Cam with a setting toward low light condition as nighttime. I think you will see it does display the light better, but in real life, it is still not to the level of shouting out a big hurrah. I did the same drive in my Jeep and the Headlights do a much better job of lighting the road, they are on the yellow side, but they are brighter than the Slingshot by far. If folks drive at night, you will just have to see what you think and do the thing that works for you. I am trying to present facts that will help folks that want to see what LED Headlights along with the Canadian System works and displays on the road. You have seen it. I will do the Aiming Video Production soon to show how to do it, but do not think it is going to change much.

New Video using Dash Cam of Headlight Projection.

• Video doesn't look bad. Is the center dash light linked to your turn signals and is that part of the newer model Slingshot you have?

Yes, it does look much brighter to view. My dash cam can capture in much lower light, lots of settings. I hooked the Turn signals leads up to leds and mounted in the center dash. I still find I have the turn signals on sometime. I am looking at a mod to use LED Strips At the Left Side of the Windshield. I will introduce soon. I would still like to see other captures of Headlights to compare.