Dual Canadian Headlight Conversion Kit compared to Stock Headlight.

• from what I understand the circuit will not handle the draw of running 6 lights unless you switch to led - 6 halogens draw too much for it

The 2015 Slingshot relays will not support both sets of the stock head lights (as in Halogen on one relay with the high beams on. The relay will start cycling because of the heat/overload on the relay. This was why Polaris did the head light recall to split the lights with two relays. Switching to all LED's with their low current draw will pretty much take care of this problem. I have the Canadian head lights also so even when I did the Polaris recall with the two sets of Halogen on one relay and the high beams I still had the over loaded relay. I changed to all LED's because of the electrical load not because of the best lighting

• @edwardaneal thank you so much for bring this to the thread. It is a very important point that all Slingshot Owners should use when connecting Electrical accessories to be sure that the Polaris Slingshot Current draw requirement limits are met. Now new Owners, you should always inquire as to any safety requirements you should observe before you purchase produces that require hooking into the Slingshot wiring system. As has been pointed out, going with the Halogen option for the Canadian Conversion Assembly may over draw your current for the designed circuits. Now, results of making a mistake and wiring up 6 halogen headlights would blow a fuse before the system would burn up and cause a fire. You don't want to blindly work in this type direction. Find out what the product limits are before purchasing and even come to the forum and ask questions, like we have seen. Edwardaneal had some valuable information to add to our discussion. Our members are well versed in lots of areas, no one member knows it all, but between us all we know everything.

I think the Vendors should advise customers of this if they were to order a Canadian Headlight Conversion with Halogen Headlight. With an issue like this of excess current draw, they should not sell a person something that will not work as a plug and play as the Conversion kits are sold. I do not know anything about how the Halogen Kit is produced or anything, so I can not comment in this area.

I am saying here, if you want the Canadian Headlight Conversion, go with LED headlight Option only. If you have the money and want it all, do the upgrade conversion of the Stock Headlights.

• New Owners, as you can see, we are all pioneers for the Polaris Slingshot. We are slowly finding out what works and what doesn't. Our Website allows us to share our pioneering information so we learn new things all the time. As you can see, I learned new information about the Canadian Conversion Options. You have come to the right play to gain the knowledge you will need to help you make the best decisions for your and your Slingshot. I think our knowledgeable members for sharing their information. They have added greatly to this thread knowledge base. You will find this happening on most threads.
    If you have a concern, all questions are treated with respect and you will get a lot of responses for help.

• @edwardaneal thank you so much for bring this to the thread. It is a very important point that all Slingshot Owners should use when connecting Electrical accessories to be sure that the Polaris Slingshot Current draw requirement limits are met. Now new Owners, you should always inquire as to any safety requirements you should observe before you purchase produces that require hooking into the Slingshot wiring system. As has been pointed out, going with the Halogen option for the Canadian Conversion Assembly may over draw your current for the designed circuits. Now, results of making a mistake and wiring up 6 halogen headlights would blow a fuse before the system would burn up and cause a fire. You don't want to blindly work in this type direction. Find out what the product limits are before purchasing and even come to the forum and ask questions, like we have seen. Edwardaneal had some valuable information to add to our discussion. Our members are well versed in lots of areas, no one member knows it all, but between us all we know everything.

I think the Vendors should advise customers of this if they were to order a Canadian Headlight Conversion with Halogen Headlight. With an issue like this of excess current draw, they should not sell a person something that will not work as a plug and play as the Conversion kits are sold. I do not know anything about how the Halogen Kit is produced or anything, so I can not comment in this area.

I am saying here, if you want the Canadian Headlight Conversion, go with LED headlight Option only. If you have the money and want it all, do the upgrade conversion of the Stock Headlights.

I think the wording with how these kits are sold and how they are actually used is what leads to the risk of overload

in a true "conversion" the center lights would be replaced by new Canadian style outside lights - - I dont think many people buying these kits are actually doing a "conversion" what people are doing is adding both the lighting configurations together and this is where the potential to exceed the circuit capacity comes into play.

As a side note I think I have only seen one example of a true conversion being done, and in that case the center lights were removed so that shrouding could be installed making a sort of ram air intake that fed to the CAI box

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL
    JRI GT coil overs, DDM short shifter
    Twist Dynamics Sway Bar & DDM mounts

MeanSling Sport Top & Other Misc Goodies

• I think the wording with how these kits are sold and how they are actually used is what leads to the risk of overload
    in a true "conversion" the center lights would be replaced by new Canadian style outside lights - - I dont think many people buying these kits are actually doing a "conversion" what people are doing is adding both the lighting configurations together and this is where the potential to exceed the circuit capacity comes into play.

I am following your thinking exactly the same way. The system was designed for USA or Canadian Headlight system, not both. A conversion would mean you change over to the other system by meeting the requirements of that system. I think the Vendors have a responsibility to only sell us products that are safe and advise us if there are unsafe conditions if you install a product they sell. We should not have to find out this information in a forum discussion. This discussion has added a lot to my knowledge base that I will use to help our New Owners, thanks, @edwardaneal, I really am glad you added to the Thread discussion.

• I am following your thinking exactly the same way. The system was designed for USA or Canadian Headlight system, not both. A conversion would mean you change over to the other system by meeting the requirements of that system. I think the Vendors have a responsibility to only sell us products that are safe and advise us if there are unsafe conditions if you install a product they sell. We should not have to find out this information in a forum discussion. This discussion has added a lot to my knowledge base that I will use to help our New Owners, thanks, @edwardaneal, I really am glad you added to the Thread discussion.

Sam - I do have to point out that I found this information in the Slingmods instillation instructions. I agree that perhaps it should also be in the product description, but at least they do provide it.

As a side note, perhaps I am unique in that I do tend to read instillation instructions before I make a purchase if they are available - I just like to know all I can and not risk getting in over my head.

• Sam - I do have to point out that I found this information in the Slingmods instillation instructions. I agree that perhaps it should also be in the product description, but at least they do provide it.
    As a side note, perhaps I am unique in that I do tend to read instillation instructions before I make a purchase if they are available - I just like to know all I can and not risk getting in over my head.

I will be doing another run at night with my Full LED Canadian Headlight Conversion Kit with both light options running. I will produce photos for Low Beam and High Beam. I will also produce an "Aiming the Headlights How-To Video" Presentation. This will give a true picture of how the LED's perform when wired correctly.

• I am following your thinking exactly the same way. The system was designed for USA or Canadian Headlight system, not both. A conversion would mean you change over to the other system by meeting the requirements of that system. I think the Vendors have a responsibility to only sell us products that are safe and advise us if there are unsafe conditions if you install a product they sell. We should not have to find out this information in a forum discussion. This discussion has added a lot to my knowledge base that I will use to help our New Owners, thanks, @edwardaneal, I really am glad you added to the Thread discussion.

If I remember correctly the original Canadian Head light Assy. sold by Slingshot Only came with a relay for those lights. The 2015 stock head light Assy just had one relay and the recall added another relay to the stock 2015 system. To keep the confusion down, that means that the stock Slingshot Head light after the recall had a relay for the center head lights and another relay for the stock outer head lights.

• Well, Now the thread had some new key information. @FunCycle has added another element to our thread that I was unaware of. See how things go, one piece of information leads to another. I did not know of a recall for the Headlights. I have the 2017 model SL LE Midnight Cherry. I think we are dealing with different conditions for different model years. I am unsure of where to go here. I think our Vendors will need to help us, by only selling us products that will meet the requirements of our Model Year. Most members and new Owners will not have to knowledge to decipher all the technical aspects of the electrical circuit designs. We want to buy a product and know we have all we need to install it. We do not want to figure relays and wiring changes. Don't sell us products we have to be engineers to install. I call on our vendors to help us out here. Our thread has led us from a comparison photo of Stock Headlights and Canadian LED headlights to an avenue with all kinds of side streets. Vendors, please help with our understanding of this type product.

• Well, Now the thread had some new key information. @FunCycle has added another element to our thread that I was unaware of. See how things go, one piece of information leads to another. I did not know of a recall for the Headlights. I have the 2017 model SL LE Midnight Cherry. I think we are dealing with different conditions for different model years. I am unsure of where to go here. I think our Vendors will need to help us, by only selling us products that will meet the requirements of our Model Year. Most members and new Owners will not have to knowledge to decipher all the technical aspects of the electrical circuit designs. We want to buy a product and know we have all we need to install it. We do not want to figure relays and wiring changes. Don't sell us products we have to be engineers to install. I call on our vendors to help us out here. Our thread has led us from a comparison photo of Stock Headlights and Canadian LED headlights to an avenue with all kinds of side streets. Vendors, please help with our understanding of this type product.

Slingmods sells two different Canadian headlight conversion kits - one is for 2015-2016 years and uses the existing light shrouds that have the holes for the lights in them and comes with halogen bulbs, and the second conversion kit the sell is a TricLED kit that is for 2017 - 2019 that comes with new shrouds and also comes with halogen bulbs. They do not have a link to the instructions for installing this second kit like they do for the 2015 - 2016 kit

I had the Canadian Lights installed in Maggie Valley in 2015 by Noel and his crew at the Sling Shot Only booth. At that time I had never used the high beam on my head lights. The next year 2016 I left home about 6 AM to go to Maggie and hit the high beams as soon as I left the house (it was dark) within 1/2 mile the lights were cycling on and off because of the overload on the relay that still had the two sets of lights on it. When I got back home I changed everything over to the LED's and have not had a problem since. Except for the wiring that Polaris installed on the recall and never hooked up.

• I switched to LED bulbs before Polaris acknowledged there was a problem with the original headlight circuits, I switched my outer headlights to run on the Fog Light circuit after having my headlights shutdown during one of my longer night rides. I added the switch available from either SSO or SlingMods and also changed the Fog Light connector to fit the outer headlight connector.
    If you're running dual 55W halogen bulbs, the outer headlights need a total of 110W which totals around 8A using a voltage of 13.8V or around 9.2A if you assume you have 12V. Either way, the load on the Fog Light circuit is within its design limits. Using LED bulbs at around 26W each,you have a load of 52W which places far less demand on the circuit. The headlight recall fix added a second circuit to power the outer two headlight positions on each side, so I effectively now have a separate circuit for the center headlights, the Canadian headlights and the outer headlights. In this setup, the outer headlights only operate when the main headlights are on, so considering adding a new fuse block so I can have the outer headlights as switched backups in the event something happens to the main headlights.
    If I understand the headlight recall fix and new wiring, the center headlights are on their own circuit with the add-on circuit now powering the CH units and the outer auxiliary headlights. With halogen bulbs, this places 2 x 65W or 130W total on the main headlight circuit which is safely inside the 20A circuit and the outer auxiliary and CH units place 4 x 55W or 220W on the 20A circuit, which is still within the 20A rating for that circuit, but is nearing that circuti's limits. With 6 LED bulbs, the typical set for the Slingshot seems to be 2 x 36W for the center main headlight circuit which is well within the 20A rating and the four outer CH and auxiliary LED bulbs are typically 4 x 26W or 104W total, which is well within that circuit's 20A rating and should not yield any problems. (I hope my math is correct. Somebody let me know if I did make a mistake so I can correct it.)
    I just replaced my old LED-equipped SSO CH units with the halogen CH units from SlingMods because I had never been happy with the light output from the SSO units (see post #6 in this thread - Headlight Pod question for what I think caused my early SSO CH units to have limited output). With the halogen SlingMods CH units, the warmer, yellowish halogen light color allows me to clearly see the headlight beam pattern and exactly where the SM CH units are placing their light. The SM CH units are set to power the small T10 bulb during low beam operation with the halogen bulb only coming on during high beam operation.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Thanks @BKL You have given us some good information for the specs for Headlight system. It appears that LED Headlights are the way to go if you want to upgrade to the Canadian Headlight Conversion Kits. It is sounding like if you over draw on the current limits of your Headlight Circuits, you stand a good chance of having Headlights to go out if you reach the limits and beyond. I guess a person could just sit in the drive way with the motor running, headlights on bright setting and watch the headlights for a while to see if there is any issues when you make modifications to your Headlight Systems. I do not use my high beams and do not drive at night, I will do this check when I get back to Florida and report. I want to find out if Like @FunCycle my headlights will cycle on and off with the High beams on. Much safer that way. Some of you that have installed Headlight mods, maybe try this and report back any issues you find.

• I checked mine yesterday after we had this conversation. All of the stock head lights switch with the high beam. The center lights and the stock outer lights. The Canadian lights do not change. I will be looking at this later to see how to get the Canadian lights to go to high beam also. I also will be looking at the adjustment of all of the head lights. Just remember that Electrical and Electronics have paid the bills since 1966 for me.

• I checked mine yesterday after we had this conversation. All of the stock head lights switch with the high beam. The center lights and the stock outer lights. The Canadian lights do not change. I will be looking at this later to see how to get the Canadian lights to go to high beam also. I also will be looking at the adjustment of all of the head lights. Just remember that Electrical and Electronics have paid the bills since 1966 for me.

I'm going to try reinstalling the SSO MH4 LED bulb that goes in the CH unit. From what @samowens44 posted in his video on the LED bulbs, the MH4 should run at 13W on Low and 26W on high. The H3 halogen bulb can be wired to run either on Hi or Lo beam by swapping the outer 3-wire wires, but not both.

Just remember in almost all states it is ILLEGAL to run more then Four headlamps at one time.

I now have my outer headlights switched and plan on running those as backups once I rewire them to run w/o the main headlights being on.
    I seem to have read someplace that many states seem to allow/tolerate more headlights on a "motorcycle", presumably under the theory of being seen and noticed. Of course, YMMV.

• I bought the Canadian units for Nuc’em. Come to find out Tripod had replaced all four stock headlights with SlingMod HIDs. The transformer interferes with installing the Canadian Units. Bummer...

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

The ballast units I've seen for HID lights usually have enough length to allow you to position them out of the way so you should still be able to install a set of CH units. Of course, you then need to either purchase another set of HID bulbs and ballast or convert to LED bulbs. HID should most likely be either 35W or 55W ballasts whereas most LED bulbs are in the 26W - 36W range (basd on what the main Slingshot aftermarket offers). I have seen much higher-powered LED bulbs, but the typical LED bulb will most likely be in the 26-36W range and still produce more light than their halogen equivalent.