Leaking Front Angle Drive, is Polaris taking care of this?

• So my question is this... should the level be only to the bottom of the fill hole threads? I'm wondering now if I have a leak at all, maybe it was just very overfilled? Even the vent on top has some residue on it. I did order a repair manual, as I've worked on muscle cars, trucks and Harleys most of my life, but I haven't picked it up yet. My fill hole (if looking at it from the driver's side) is about 4:30 or so. It's low enough on the cover that it looks like it might be hard to get a quart in that space that is left below it. Any help appreciated.

Depends of which polaris info you want to use. Per the manual:

If you view the Polaris service video, it says fill to spill: (hope this link works)

• Thank you! I watched the video where it said fill to spill. When I get home later this afternoon, I'm going to drain it and fill with Mobil 1. The handbook manual that comes with the Slingshot said 80W-90 SAE, but I was thinking about going to the 75W-140 and going to syn. Also, it showed that it took 1 quart if I remember correctly. I've always seen them like this... fill to spill.

I'm thinking that it may just be overfilled from the factory. I'm going to change it out, clean it up, and take it out for a test run this evening. I'll look for leaks when I get back from the run. It might still need the seal replaced, as it could have damaged it from being overfilled. Thanks again, and look forward to being on this forum!

• so is this a common problem for the 16-161/2 models?
    Just getting myself prepared... :|

It is not uncommon from what I've picked up from a few others. Counting the original on this thread, mine, I've read or heard about 3 others. That's why I checked mine, as I had heard of others having the leak. Just something to watch for. I'm believing mine may just be overfilled, and blowing out the vent in the top. I'll look into it later today. Also, hood latches aren't locking on the 16 1/2's at least I know of 3 that weren't. I was able to adjust mine in. The front were catching, the rear were not. The 2016.5's have the new hood bumpers, not the pads. I got the Corbin bags too, and needed to work on the lid adjustments to get the lids to stay closed. Judging by my Slingshot, they seem "quirky" in some areas, but have been easy enough to correct. I thoroughly am enjoying mine though, and look forward to many, many happy times out in it!

• Thank you! I watched the video where it said fill to spill. When I get home later this afternoon, I'm going to drain it and fill with Mobil 1. The handbook manual that comes with the Slingshot said 80W-90 SAE, but I was thinking about going to the 75W-140 and going to syn. Also, it showed that it took 1 quart if I remember correctly. I've always seen them like this... fill to spill.

I'm thinking that it may just be overfilled from the factory. I'm going to change it out, clean it up, and take it out for a test run this evening. I'll look for leaks when I get back from the run. It might still need the seal replaced, as it could have damaged it from being overfilled. Thanks again, and look forward to being on this forum!

Just FYI, the owners manual is wrong about the weight of the oil. If you check out the bottle of Polaris fluid for the right angle drive, you will see it's NOT the 80W-90 SAE that's in the manual, but it is 75W-140. I've used the Royal Purple and now have gone to the Red Line Oil 58204 Full Synthetic Heavy ShockProof Gear Oil and have had no issues with that lube. There still is a gear noise though

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Well, good news overall. Yes, my seal is still leaking. But I changed to Mobil 1 75W140 Syn, and filled til it spilled. Capped it off and took it for a run. Much quieter with the Mobil 1 than before. Still noise, but probably cut it down by 1/3 to 1/2 and at steady highway speed not much at all. No shavings on the magnet, only the thin gray sludge that is pretty normal especially at break in. Hope to get the pinion seal fixed soon, but feel like I'm getting the oddities worked out well.

• My 2016.5 Red SL was slinging some kind of lube all over the rear wheel, brakes, hitch, etc.

Dealer originally said it was just grease that worked its way out during breakin. I called BS, and they said not to worry, "they all do that," and besides, "you have a warranty."

2,000 miles later, another dealer wanted to strand me 1500 miles from home for bad forward seal. They checked the level and added an ounce or two of fluid and said I would be fine, leak looked worse than it was.

Need to take it to local dealer for repairs, as well as ANOTHER brake bleed, my FIFTH magnetic brake lamp switch, and a new driver side seatbelt lamp switch. I am not impressed with Polaris engineering or quality control.

--
    Antony
    Plano, Texas, USA
    2016.5 Red Pearl (THE fastest color of them all!)
    "Code 3" :REDSS:

What oil do you think is best? :00000004:

• My 2016.5 base had a front seal leak ...... Noticed it at about 450 miles. Called my dealer and they ordered a seal. They had it replaced in about 2 hrs. Have put about 300 miles on it since and it still remains leak free. I'm running the Royal Purple as well.

• Caution I may be wrong but the instructions posted say " do not overfill". That's what I've been reading all along so which way should it be?

Because the maintenance video that was put out by Polaris said fill to spill, I checked with service mgr., before I did mine. He said fill to spill. (note- he could have been wrong, however). I did the fill to spill, and put over 10,000 miles on it- never had an issue with that part of the vehicle. I'll change the new one between 3500-5000 miles, and unless told otherwise, will fill to spill again.

• Because the maintenance video that was put out by Polaris said fill to spill, I checked with service mgr., before I did mine. He said fill to spill. (note- he could have been wrong, however). I did the fill to spill, and put over 10,000 miles on it- never had an issue with that part of the vehicle. I'll change the new one between 3500-5000 miles, and unless told otherwise, will fill to spill again.

Overfill....

I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

• Because the maintenance video that was put out by Polaris said fill to spill, I checked with service mgr., before I did mine. He said fill to spill. (note- he could have been wrong, however). I did the fill to spill, and put over 10,000 miles on it- never had an issue with that part of the vehicle. I'll change the new one between 3500-5000 miles, and unless told otherwise, will fill to spill again.

Thank you Sir.....I wonder how many of polaris recommendations are copy and paste from some of their many other products????
    Again thanks!

• every differential I have ever serviced have you fill just to the point it starts to run out. The fill bung is your dipstick .. .

Let's see how long it takes @Tripod to respond to that little nugget.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Dealer called my yesterday.
    Says they "may" have installed the wrong pinion seal.
    And request I bring it back in for a re-do.
    Appreciated their honesty.

wow, thats awesome anh unheard of...

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• so is this a common problem for the 16-161/2 models?
    Just getting myself prepared... :|

our 16 models, front end pinion seal was leaking and repaired during last months dealer warrenty work. They also replaced the belt.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)